Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Still no fish?  (Read 1160 times)

jdiddleymspot

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Killer
    • View Profile
Still no fish?
« on: July 23, 2010, 05:14:43 am »

Did the fish bug get fixed yet? I just created a new map and I can't see any fish yet. :(
All dwarfs have beards and wear up to twelve layers of clothing. Gender is more or less optional. - Terry Pratchett "Guards, Guards"

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Still no fish?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 06:58:58 am »

There are fish now.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 07:37:48 am »

You're certain to catch fish if you have runnng water or an ocean. If you only have murky pools, you can get embarks where you can't catch anything.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

jdiddleymspot

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 07:49:11 am »

Put do the fish show on the units screen? I only wild animals I have are Tiger at the moment. There is running water and murky pools.
All dwarfs have beards and wear up to twelve layers of clothing. Gender is more or less optional. - Terry Pratchett "Guards, Guards"

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 07:56:29 am »

Put do the fish show on the units screen? I only wild animals I have are Tiger at the moment. There is running water and murky pools.
Only large fish will, not the vermin sized. The same it is for ground animals. If you have a brook instead of a river it's not for granted that listed fish will appear (or so it seems).
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

jdiddleymspot

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 11:49:10 am »

Ah great, thanks!

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 12:50:07 pm »

You might need to mine for them in fishstone.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 03:31:32 pm »

You might need to mine for them in fishstone.

Has anyone modded in 'fossil' gemstones yet? I don't see any reason why you wouldn't occasionally find fish fossils in many types of sedimentary deposits.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 05:33:12 pm »

Petrified wood comes immediately to mind.  I can't think of other fossils though.

Chalk is made of the remains or cast-off exoskeletons of some types of single-celled algae.  Identifiable remains in chalk are considered nannofossils.  That maybe kind of counts.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 08:25:55 pm »

The world's only been around for a thousand years or so, making fossils unlikely.  Unless of course Armok puts fossils into the planet's crust to test our faith in Him.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 08:43:12 pm »

I've put in various fossils that appear rarely in sedimentary layers. There are several varieties including Dragon, Demon, Sea Monster, etc. You can also get Petrified Treants from Petrified Wood.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 11:24:53 am »

The world's only been around for a thousand years or so, making fossils unlikely.
Nah, that's just the civilized folk who've been around for a thousand years. There definitely was some time before time - the worldgen just fast-forwarded it for you.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 01:40:31 pm »

I've put in various fossils that appear rarely in sedimentary layers. There are several varieties including Dragon, Demon, Sea Monster, etc. You can also get Petrified Treants from Petrified Wood.

This sounds interesting... Imagine if it could be expanded. Fossils would act like gemstones. Instead of cutting a gem, you're cleaning the fossil. Imagine being able to set up a museum of sorts for your dorfs. It could be done, too. Make the fossils act like (very expensive, maybe 100x normal value?) statues when they're built, and you have displays. If you have a display case mod, you could put artifacts and other valuable pretty things in your museum. Then devise an emergency lockdown procedure in case something gets stolen...

Ah, the possibilities.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!