Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: *HFS Spoilers* Insurmountable obstacle?  (Read 6939 times)

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *HFS Spoilers* Insurmountable obstacle?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 11:57:58 pm »

Breach HFS in a seperate tunnel unconnected your fortress and the demons will spew off map, if you wall your entrance with WALLS, not bridgewalls.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 12:04:27 am »

It could be one-and-a-half-edged if there was a mechanic that forced the demons to stop all pathing attempts except by one randomly chosen among them when they fail the first 5 or so. You'd think the bastards would have learned some patience from being entombed in hell since the dawn of time, but no, they haven't. It could be single-edged if there was a mechanic forcing everything to take turns on pathing attempts when the attempts-per-tick reaches a certain point.

Curse you computers and all your difficulties in coding that make it impossible to get DF to run faster!

Breach HFS in a seperate tunnel unconnected your fortress and the demons will spew off map, if you wall your entrance with WALLS, not bridgewalls.

Actually I think that's been proven to be wrong; demons NEVER leave the map, you absolutely must kill them to get them to stop. They will lovingly go into unexplored cavern areas if they can, but never actually leave the site.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 12:08:32 am »

How rapidly do the demons really spawn? I remember letting them out once...granted it was a while ago and I didn't need to observe for long, having only a handful of dwarves, but it didn't seem like there was a ridiculously large army of them. I don't think any new ones spawned after the initial adamantine tube breach in that time.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

ikacer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 12:51:29 am »

They seem to spawn quickly at first, so you get a large group hitting you right away. After you kill the first wave (about 30ish) they seem to slow down their spawning rate to something more reasonable. Last time I fought them, my military took out about 40 before being wiped out, and a visiting human diplomat took out about 30. They don't seem all to difficult to kill seeing as my military only had 2 highly trained dwarves, 5 semi-experienced, and 12 were recruits/meat shield (I had my pop cap at 20). I think that with a strong military and some archers behind fortifications, it wouldn't be too difficult to hold them off without resorting to traps. The only real difficulty is that war animals die almost instantly. I had 40 grizzlies and 60 dogs and most of them burned to death within seconds of the first wave hitting. If I had released the war animals in smaller groups from cages they may have been more effective. Also, fighting in an open area with the military spread out would minimize splash damage from the fire demons.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 01:24:42 am »

Might it not be possible to found a hell fortress by means of a cave-in gun?  Keep dropping enough blocks of obsidian down there, and you'll eventually get a big pile of rock reaching to the ceiling of the glowing pits.  Dig in and enjoy.

Even better, carve out a complete fortress one level above the pits and then collapse it into Hell to establish a beachhead.  Something like (side view)
Code: (Before) [Select]
#########
#       #
# #  X# #
# #  X# #
# #  X# #
# ##### #
#___I___#

&    &
    &   
 &     &
%%%%%%%%%
Code: (After) [Select]
#########
#       #
#       #
#       #
#       #
#       #
#_     _#
  #  X#
 &#  X#
  #  X#
 &#####&
%%%%%%%%%

For instant fun, just add fortified marksdwarves.

I call it the Dwarven Blitzkrieg.

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 01:34:08 am »

By the way, was the HFS in 40d infinite? I ask because one time I had the (non-tentacle, frog, or fire) Demon come out, which I killed in a battle involving all my marksdwarves and most of my miners. After heavy casualties (read: all marksdwarves) I thought that was the last of them and eventually removed the wall, leading to an immediate swarm of tentacle demons who killed everyone and everything except for a single bedridden dwarf. This was all in an attempt to harness the tiny, tiny amount of magma present in the demon chambers.

ikacer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 01:34:52 am »

[...]
Even better, carve out a complete fortress one level above the pits and then collapse it into Hell to establish a beachhead.  Something like
[snip]
For instant fun, just add fortified marksdwarves.
I call it the Dwarven Blitzkrieg.

This has got to be the greatest Dwarf Fortress idea I have ever heard.

Now to find a way to resize/ move the entrance to hell. Isn't there a way to  dig through the molten rock?

Edit: I guess you can just go through a demonic fortress? I've never seen one myself though. I've always used adamantine veins. Is this possible?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 01:42:31 am by ikacer »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 01:46:16 am »

I just defeated the entire first wave of demons. Around 200 demons killed. Lost about 40 dwarves. It's not infinite. After the first few hundred, they only come one at a time apparently.

Edit: 1 at a time at a rate of 1 every few seconds...

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 01:49:08 am »

I just defeated the entire first wave of demons. Around 200 demons killed. Lost about 40 dwarves. It's not infinite. After the first few hundred, they only come one at a time apparently.

Edit: 1 at a time at a rate of 1 every few seconds...
Kick 'em while they're down by sealing their lair with obsidian!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2010, 01:55:23 am »

Heh, nah. They're free experience now. 1 on 1 a demon cannot stand up to a steel clad dwarf. It's pretty sad actually. Demons relegated to a constant stream of free experience. They're only problematic because the first wave was so bleeding huge. You can deal with them by placing marksdwarves at the end of a long corridor with the demons coming out of the other end. Only one dwarf survived melee with the massive horde though, and she's probably going to go insane from grief.

During the first wave, the fps does drop pretty dramatically. Demons can fly regardless whether they have wings or not, keep in mind. Now it's stabilized again. About 31fps.

Again... if they do come in another big wave, I'm dead. Here's to hoping they don't. I'll keep you guys updated.

Edit: Nope, looks like that's it. Simple stuff really, you guys shouldn't fear the underworld too much. If your military can "easily" kill a bronze colossus, you shouldn't have problems with hell. Heck, I think if you caged a bronze colossus and released it at the entrance of hell, you'd get an epic fight.

Edit edit: they don't even respawn any more. No more free xp.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2010, 02:06:30 am »

It's true, you can't mine through slade. You could use the Demonic Fortress, but that feels like cheating to me.  The only real solution is to make a number of smaller 4x4 blitzkrieg fortresses, one in each adamantine tube.  There's room for four marksdwarves on each level, for a total of 12-20 marksdwarves per fortress.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2010, 02:18:03 am »

i hope you guys realize that cavins structures collapse.
so this
crossveiw:
===
==
=

collapses to:
=
==
===

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2010, 03:21:55 am »

If you muddy the slade floor in hell, you can farm on it. Just tried it out. It's 100% possible to build your entire fortress in hell. Would be pretty easy actually. All sieges would have to travel all the way down to hell to reach you. And aside from the occassional demon "migrant", nothing can harm you down there.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2010, 04:07:07 am »

Oh, another man asks this. Another one just asking.

So, my friend, you want to conquer Hell?
That's, technically impossible.

But we're dwarves, we take technicalities and dump them in the magma. What you need, is for once, a cave-in gun ready to fire at your breach. Perfectly, this design would be placed above the bottomless pit, so it never clogs. And I do mean the obsidian generator. If that cannot be achieved, your second best hope is to drop in an absurd amount of bred, trained-to-war cats (modding is extensive. You're in Hell, damnit.) and saying your prayers to Armok, dropping in a few legendary adamantine-clad dwarves, and hope it works. And finally, there's the last approach, the super-huge DemonSmash hallway. Perfectly it'll take up to a whole z-level of a 3x3 embark and will be filled all with upright spikes with metals no worse than steel installed. All of the spikes are connected to a lever. You pull the lever until they reach your bait (dwarf or otherwise). If the initial wave dies off - you're good, you can unseal yourself if you want, but the demons won't try to rush you so much. Their minds have adjusted, and they think - rightfully - that you're a force that can stop demonkind right in it's tracks, even the worst of them. I suggest having a good military trained before you get out of your bunker, they still can be aggressive.

Oh, and remember to floor the glowing pits. It's the most important thing, and you must remember to do it.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2010, 04:34:26 am »

Dude... stop spreading lies. You don't have to do any of that...
Pages: 1 [2] 3