Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Letīs play Crusader Kings, Deus Vult - Swabian Ascendancy  (Read 8354 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: Letīs play Crusader Kings, Deus Vult - Swabian Ascendancy
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 06:19:07 pm »

I used Impulse, but now when I try to download the damn file is corrupted. I've already paid, I am GETTING this game
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 10:13:05 am »

Advice taken. 
In the winter of 1219, I attended a banquet thrown by the Duke of Upper Burgundy and quaffed far too much ale, with the purpose of making a scene.  In the row that followed, in outright drunken arrogance I claimed the title of Count of Bern, which (we all know) is rightfully ours anyway.  It cost me some prestige, but now the claim is indubitable.  I was too smashed on Burgundian wine to remember the scene (no pictures).

The year passed uneventfully.  The coffers were being filled for a potential acquisition of Upper Burgundy in the near future.  A talented foreigner arrived in the fall, and I paid him a fee to teach young Sigfried some tact.  Heīs our heir, about 10 years old.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kunigonde, my oldest, was twelve in 1219 and asking difficult questions.  But she was shaping up to be a notorious spymaster…

But keeping a watchful eye on international affairs, as always, I noticed a disturbing arrangement in the royal affairs of the house of Lombardy, our trusty Italian allies.  Their governor, old Giberto, was the longtime friend of my father and remained my ally after his death.  But the republic was clearly under intense pressure from the burgeoning German mass to the East.

It was clear in the papers of succession that my cousin Ulrich, Count of Brescia, son of my uncle the Duke of Tirol (who in turn was a devoted vassal of his own nephew, the child king of Germany), was first in line to succeed old Giberto to the throne of Lombardy.  Gibertoīs own son was second to this Ulrich.  Such an accession would be a political disaster for us – Lombardy was going to capitulate to the Germans after young Ulrichīs imminent accession to the throne.  Our alliance would dissolve, and Germany would surround us on all sides but the west.

So January 1220 brought a difficult choice.  Markward was used to not having blood on his hands, but the time had come for decisive action.  Assassination.

The plan failed.

Retaliation from the ducal heir was swift and vicious.

In rage, I debated dispatching another assassin, but it would have been a mistake.  Our spymaster was inferior to Ulrichīs own.  Another attempt would further lower our reputation.  But someday…we will have our revenge.

So for now, the accession of Ulrich to the Lombardian throne is imminent.  We have the funds and claims to make war on the Burgundians, which now seems like a necessity, if we are to have these lands before the Germans swindle them, too.  And they donīt have any powerful friends, which is fortunate.  The troops will be readied for a summer campaign – these are the Alps, after all.
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 10:28:02 am »

<.<   
>.>

<(*^*)>

Dead Kirby aside, I suppose my suggestion wasn't all that good. I just liked the idea of killing a child king to send his empire into chaos for our own benifit. Well, perhaps one of our future heirs will think he's Jesus Christ. I've read that can happen, but have yet to see it. By the way, it might help if you take screenshots of decisions and events with your cursor over the selected choice, so we can see what it has a chance to do.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 05:08:29 pm »

Forgive the delay.  The internet here has been very sporadic lately.

Beginning in March, the regiments of Breisgau and Sundgau were marshalled and marched south, to the County Aargau to await the declaration of war.  I also rallied the Besancon regiment, for their capable commander, one of the few in our realm.  The Count, our marshal Heinrich, and Markward are pretty much the only decent commanders we have (say, skill 10+). 

War was officially declared on April 29, 1220.  The troops marched south into the Alps for what all suspected would be a quick war.  In the meanwhile, I authorized some distribution of wealth in order to raise more prestige for our cause.

Ulrich also replaced the Governor of Lombardy in June.

Our troops encountered the Burgundians in the valley of Bern in mid-June and a quick, clean skirmish sent their columns rushing back to Neuschatel.

By August, Bern was annexed and some 8000 of our men were halfway to Neuschatel to finish the conquest.  The Ducal title was seized!  All was going splendidly, until…

…an unexpected twist suddenly turned this little land-grab into a war.

The former Duke capitulated with little bloodshed. But no heed was paid; I was urgently summoning additional regiments from the heartland to bolster our forces.
At this time the war began to take its due toll on the realm.

The Savoyards were already on the move.  On Sept 30, 1220 they arrived in Bern and soon after engaged the Count of Schwyz, in charge of defending the province.  His 2,700 troops had been quickly mustered and marched to Bern just weeks before.  His leadership was also dwarfed by the (skill 20) prowess of the invader and the battle was lost to his 2,300 man contingent.

But in the meantime, while the home guard assembled and marched into the Alps, Markward and his trusty generals marched south from Neuschatel into fair Geneva.  They engaged a smaller force and took the field on November 8th.

Soon it became clear a massive Savoyard force was consolidating in Bern for another offensive.  The winter snows would soon make maneuvers difficult.  The invaders had to be repulsed, and quick.  Markward left the ravaged city of Geneva behind and with his men marched back through the snowdrifts to Neuschatel to regroup.  Meanwhile, another force of our Swabians had assembled in Schwyz, just to the east of Bern, unfortunately commanded by the inept buffoons that compose the rest of our officer corps.  An assault on the province from east and west could drive the shrewd Savoyard commander and his large army from the field.  It had to work.

By early December, the armies were in place, including a third detachment 3,000 experienced troops recently arrived from Nordgau.  They would march from the north, making the assault three-pronged. 

Markward marched to Bern, timing his arrival closely with that of the Schwyz detachment.  The divisions arrived just before Christmas, and in January the battle lines had been drawn and the fight was on.

At first, our men were pushed back.  Their tactics had our lines in disarray and we were clearly losing ground.

It was a long and bloody affair. 

Only with the belated arrival of the Nordgau regiment was the flank of the enemy turned and the invaders driven from the green fields of Bern.  Victory!

Enough blood had been spilled.  Peace was signed with Savoie on February 12th.  After the war, the debt, though not unreasonable was still cause for negotiations with the burghers. 

This whirlwind of events, beginning a year before with the murder of Kunigonde and ending with the monumental battle of Bern, left our Markward in a poor state.  Hopefully some spring air and peace will refresh him in the coming months.

So - Bern has been gained though Neuschatel remains staunchly independent.  Offers of vassalization have been refused, and we have no claims on their title. 
Ulrich hasnīt yet gone over to the Germans, also.  As absurd as it sounds, perhaps an alliance with Ulrich would preserve Lombardy from German hands.  It still is a powerful little state.  If he really was interested in swearing allegiance to the German king he probably would have done it by now.
Another issue you may have noticed by now is our administrationīs low efficiency.  Markward is only capable enough of administering two provinces directly, and there are at six in his demesne (personal holdings).  Weīre still collecting about as much money as always - about 34 ducats per month.  With full administration it would be almost sixty, probably.  Rather than give these titles up to nobles, Iīm going to hang on to them to pass on to our heir Sigfried, who has an intrigue of 14 already, meaning heīll be able to administer them all very well when itīs his turn.

And we finished building our splendid Medium castle in Breisgau.  Let us drink ale there to celebrate our realmīs glory!
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 12:48:25 pm »

I saw a von Hapsburg in the third image. Looks like no giant empire for them this time round.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 12:03:01 am »

This game sounds great. I hope you continue updating

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 11:50:15 am »

Awesome update, can't wait for the next.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 10:42:29 am »

Sorry for the delay, all.  My access to this computer has been curtailed a bit.  Donīt know how often Iīll be able to update, but will try my best.

--------------------------

After the war, again a long period of peace and prosperity followed in the realm of Swabia.  The time passed uneventfully, but as they say, no news is good news.  The cattle were fat and the tankards full of ale.

In a time of peace, Markward used his reputation and resources to win the admiration of neighboring rulers.  He made many friends among other lords.

Our young heir Sigfried, once so promising, began to be led astray during his adolescence.  This was a disappointment.  Our chances of having a military genius-heir dissolved.  He started hanging out with the wrong crowd, probably smoking the halflingīs leaf.

With the bloodshed of the Savoyard-Alpine conflict aside, despite being only three years past, Markward was regaining his old care-bear reputation again.  At a court banquet in a German castle one midsummer night I put the fist down, and demanded our long-standing claim to the Duchy of Franconia be upheld.   

Though he lacked military prowess, at 16 years old, Sigfried our only heir showed promise of at least making a capable diplomat.  He certainly doesnīt appear to be the strongest link in the family tree, but so be it.  Clearly heīs inherited our trademark family hairstyle, though his fearsome beard speaks volumes.

But it didnīt take long for his dark, scheming side to appear.  I worry about him.

In the fall of 1228, Markward seized the County of Leiningen to depose the Countess there, a rival of his.  Overwhelming military might crushed her levies and I granted the title of Count of Leiningen to Sigfried, so that he might learn the art of statecraft before taking the Dukeīs place.

In 1231 we vassalized the neighboring Bishopric of Kempten, breaking it off from the Kingdom of Germany.  It was a fine addition of flat, fertile land.

By summertime the next year, things in the realm were calm and prosperous.  But the recent territorial acquisitions had done little to boost Markwardīs reputation among the people.  Ah, let them…you know, eat cake.  They donīt appreciate how well they have it anyway.

Itīs not easy being the Duke.  I turned this wench away, out of love and deference for my sweet (and importantly - very talented) wife.  Sheīs our steward, and her years of administration have made us very rich, indeed. 

In December 1233 we annexed the neighboring county of Franken, completing our acquisition of Franconia, and granting Markward yet another Ducal title.  Sigfried was granted the county title.  He had a wife and a young daughter at this point, but his skill as a leader was, somewhat disappointing.

This was a time when the Duchy of Swabia began to enjoy being a true regional power.  It was becoming clear how effective political pressure could be at enlarging our realm.  We were growing steadily, in land and power.  Not even the Kingdom of Germany was eager to spar with us.  The French have stayed completely out of our hair.

In April of 1234, Markward had an unfortunate falling out with his lovely wife.  Rather than lose her loyalty, we bought her some nice things.  No problem, weīre up to our ears in cash flow these days, even with our low administrative efficiency.

The real tragedy, is that two months later, Markward dropped dead of old age.  His reign was a grand epoch for Swabia, and he made a fine successor to his father.  The kingdom had grown larger and more prosperous under his rule.  After the ceremonies, Sigfried took his fatherīs place.
(The longevity of men in this family is clearly pretty dismal.  Both Markward and Heinrich died in their late forties.)

What will this mean for the kingdom?  Tune in next time to find out!  (Whenever that is…)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:44:43 am by Seamas »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 11:22:06 am »

(The longevity of men in this family is clearly pretty dismal.  Both Markward and Heinrich died in their late forties.)

I wouldn't say that. In the 13th century, 40 was a pretty ripe age. Hell, peasants were lucky to make it to 25.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 04:13:41 pm »

Good fun. Glad to see that updates aren't completely gone.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 10:10:36 pm »

I wouldn't say that. In the 13th century, 40 was a pretty ripe age. Hell, peasants were lucky to make it to 25.

I somehow doubt peasants commonly died before age 25.  Probably even Neolithic peoples could live to age 25 if they survived childhood.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 05:43:01 pm »

I've been trying to figure this out, but what exactly does realm stability (that number to the left of gold) do?

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 11:21:53 am »

Mostly, it gives you insulation from certain negative events - think of the numbers as lifelines.  Usually if some really troublesome events occur, say a revolt of the barons or any countless other things, one can sacrifice a degree of stability in order to appease the trouble.  So, with +3 stability in the bank, you can get away with a lot more. 

During a war, stability usually falls because of declining productivity, loss of able bodied men, destruction, etc.  Fighting a war with negative stability is a very dangerous position to be in, because you donīt have any ībufferī to your realmīs problems, whereas with rock-solid political stability you can delay dealing with problems until a more convenient time.

Also, everybody, I have one more update almost ready to put up - itīs a good one, Iīll try to do that this afternoon.  But I need to know if thereīs any way to transfer the saved game to my home computer.  Iīm leaving Nicaragua this weekend and if we hope to carry on this game Iīll need to somehow transfer the right data.  I donīt know if itīs possible; any suggestions?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 11:30:37 am »

You could use a thumb drive or email it to yourself, and I'm pretty sure there are online file hosting services for this type ofsituation.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 02:55:10 pm »

I think you can move saved games via email. My saves seem to consist of 2 files withj the same name, a .eug and a .cfg. Total file size is under 20 meg, so gmail can probably handle them as attachments.
Pages: 1 [2] 3