Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Letīs play Crusader Kings, Deus Vult - Swabian Ascendancy  (Read 8355 times)

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
Letīs play Crusader Kings, Deus Vult - Swabian Ascendancy
« on: July 22, 2010, 04:34:44 pm »

(Intro artwork stolen from Asmodeus, stolen in turn from Goron.  With permission.)

(Vanilla + Deus Vault + 2.1 beta patch + DVIP + DVIP addon + BOPACK)

Crusader Kings

Iīm not going to try and explain the game for those unfamiliar, but I do owe it to the LP forum that I ever discovered it, so hereīs a fantastic explanation:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49742.msg1039715;topicseen#msg1039715

This in fact will be my LP debut. 

I just started a game the other night that got really wonderfully out of hand, the way CK can do.  Before we begin, Iīll fill you in on the first ten years:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Dukedom of Swabia.  Donīt mind the date.  Itīs all rolling hills and forests, exceprt for Ulm off in the East, which stretches away into fertile plains.  The county of St Gallen to the south is sheer Alpine glory.

The game began in 1187.  Our hero, may he be the first of many, is Duke Friedrich von Hohenstaufen, aged 20.  As it happens, his father was the legendary Barbarossa, who granted this fine realm to his second oldest son.  Duke Friedrichīs older brother, the wanker, was given the kingship of Italy.  This becomes relevant later.

Our protagonist.  That black haired witch in the corner is my wife.  Sheīs locked up in a tower now, somewhere in Ulm.  The kids visit her on weekends.

The Holy Roman Empire of Barbarossa in 1187 stretched from Denmark in the north all the way south to Italy in one uninterrupted, dark green block.  Very fearsome.  France bordered on the West and Poland, Hungary on the east.

Swabia, fortunately, falls right in the Southern heartland of this kingdom, snug and prosperous.  Thatīs where we live.  At this time, I got married to a devious woman who would later betray me.  But we started off well, and got some buns in the oven right away.

But trouble was never far off.  In the early Spring of 1192, the duress of the realm erupted into a conflagration of civil war.  Bohemia and Bavaria seceded from the kingdom, and Austria followed soon after.  Even worse, a large French army was attacking from the West. 

Our dad called upon Swabia to levy troops to save us from disaster!  Twenty thousand brave Swabians were sent off to fight the French, who were invading just north of our realm at the time.  By summer, vicious fighting was raging all along the northern and western edge of Swabia.  And nobody saw it coming, but our dear father Barbarossa was slain at the height of the bloodshed, on June 1st, 1192. 

My older brother seized the German throne.  But without Barbarossa the HRE seemed pretty much doomed.  Pockets of rebellion were springing up everywhere, and the task of holding together two kingdoms in the hand of that gobhawk seemed impossibly daunting.

So, on June 21st 1192 I renounced my new liege, my older brother, and the Kingdom of Swabia became an independent realm.  I didnīt want to go down with the ship.
From West to East, the Duchy of Swabia, he Duchy of Bavaria, Duchy of Salzburg, Duchy of Austria, all bisecting the HRE.

By 1194, the short-lived Bavarian rebellion had been crushed.  My position was still precarious, as the full military attention of the German empire would have easily overrun Swabia.  But the kingdom continued to fracture.

One day in May 1195, I discovered my treacherous wife (must have been a Loyalist) had stolen over six hundred ducats from the national treasury, plunging Swabia into some five hundred ducatīs of debt.  How she managed to steal that much money we simply didnīt have is a mystery to me.  Sheīs a clever devil.

In early 1196 my brother, the King of Germany and Italy, died of something or another.  His five year old son has taken the throne, for now.

And June-Oct of 1196 I was engaged in a turf war with the Duchies of Upper Burgundy, to my south, and Upper Lorraine, to the Northwest.  We suceeded in trouncing the Burgundians, but were thoroughly beaten shortly after in two very large battles on the West bank, in the provinces of Nordgau and Saudgau.  Fortunately, neither of us had any more money to carry on the fight and called a white peace.

As of now, I reside in my castle in Schwaben and plot my next move.  I have claims on Aargau, in the south, and my younger brother is the count of neighboring Besancon.  Both counties are vassals of the quickly expiring Duchy of Upper Burgundy.  Now may be the time to snatch them both!

Iīm blessed with an up and coming young rapscallion, Markward.  I have some daughters too, somewhere.

Iīm allied with the Duchy of Luxembourg, on the far side of the Lorrainians.  Resolving the debt is also an issue.
Deus Vult!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:14:20 pm by Seamas »
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
Re: Letīs play Crusader Kings, Deus Vult - Swabian Ascendancy
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 04:41:26 pm »

his father was the legendary Barbarossa

Did you just say...

Barbarossa

Oh no.

The Holy Roman Empire of Barbarossa

Oh hell no.

You're all doomed. Every last soul in Europe.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 03:39:03 pm »

Watching.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 08:56:38 pm »

Taking suggestions?

BTW, the whole pack is on sale for 10 bucks, just FYI.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 12:44:57 am »

his father was the legendary Barbarossa

Did you just say...

Barbarossa

Oh no.

The Holy Roman Empire of Barbarossa

Oh hell no.

You're all doomed. Every last soul in Europe.

Agreed. It would be better to jump on a ship in England and sail off the edge of the world than stay and deal with Holy Emperor Barbarossa.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 11:34:16 am »

Greetings all.  I had no Internet access over the weekend, so again I have to dump the last fourteen years on you all at once…

And yes, Iīm happy to take suggestions and any other creative embellishments you feel like adding.  Ideally, Iīll get better at updating frequently so we can decide on courses of action.  If youīd like a province/court position/etc to call your own, mention it and maybe I can write you into the story somehow. 

Or maybe thatīs enough RP to turn your stomach.  Whateverīs clever.

-----------

Iīd thought I would dig my way back into the black without trouble.  The debt was nearly resolved when I was forced to sell some assets.  Not too big of a deal, really.

In June of 1198 I set out with a few thousand footsoldiers to forcibly replace the weaselly Count of St. Gallen, a vassal of mine whoīd grown too disloyal to be trusted.  It was over quickly, and there wasnīt much to see.  I replaced his empty castle with a family friend, Hartmann of Swabia.  Heīs done very well in that position since, really fixing the place up.

In Sept. of 1199, a rider arrived from the Western edge of the realm with an offer from the young Count of Besancon, my nephew actually.  Iīd been trying for years to get his father to come over to our flag.  This young chap had seen some sense and was prepared to swear his allegiance to us right away.  Besancon is a rich, flat province and a fine addition to our realm.

Two months afterwards, my neighbors in Upper Lorraine divided into a civil conflict.  I searched for a chance to snatch up a disloyal count, but none presented the chance to me.  The Duke there prevailed in the end.  This Lorraine makes a tempting target for our next turf war, though the people there are more French than German - they may be less inclined to keel over to foreign occupiers…

In the meantime, my vassal in Baden got uppity with a French count and went to battle.  I chose to stay out of this absurd dispute.  I couldnīt risk antagonizing France.

The years passed in peace.  Our realm grew more stable and productive as the harvests were gathered and fine profits made.  I saved a great deal of money.  And in 1204, I broke ground on a fine Medium castle – the grandiose likes of which had yet to be seen in all Germania (north of the Alps)!

In the same year, I forged a strong alliance with the wealthy, well-armed republic of Lombardia, on my southern border.

Markward was growing up so quickly, and was a promising young man by his 16th year.  A shrewd and talented general too, by the look of it.  And to be fair, his sisters were all prodigiously capable in other fields – diplomacy and stewardship mainly.  They made fine ministers, until I married them off one by one.

But by this time peace had grown stale and the conquesting urge was running strong throughout my court.  Mainly my antagonism was directed at an old-time rival, the Count of Aargau, upon whom I had long-standing claims.  It was a part of the Duchy of Upper Burgundy, in the Alps to the south.  In the summer of 1206, the leadership of this duchy was nebulous and rife with internal confusion.  The time was ripe for a quick land-grab.

In June 1206, I ended the 10-year ceasefire between Aargau and Swabia, and marched on Aargau from Sundgau.  Knowing the war declaration against Aargau would bring the Duke, lord of Shwyz, into the war, I dispatched a few months previous a contingent of troops out of Castle Shwaben into St. Gallen.  There they were reinforced by the provincial regiment.  In August, the Sundgau troops (under young Markward) arrived in Aargau and fought a triumphant battle.  At the same time, my column out of the east arrived in Shwyz and victoriously fought the Dukeīs forces.

By late September, both counties were occupied.  The Count of Bern had joined his Duke and in early October prepared to counterattack with a few thousand men.  But a larger column dispatched out of occupied Aargau intercepted him in the Alpine passes of Bern.  As it happened, the general of this column was one of the very first slain: a lucky arrow during the skirmishing dropped him from his horse.  But the battle was victorious, and Bern was besieged.

In early November, with Aargau and Shwyz occupied, the Duke conceded defeat and we annexed both provinces.  The troops went home (including an eager column of Lombardians).  I granted Shwyz to the County of St. Gallen in return for their valiant participation in the fight.

I returned home to Castle Shwaben and prepared to settle in for the winter.  Years passed, and I got older.  A double bout of dysentery and typhoid was ravaging our lands east of the Maine (our river), including Schwaben.

In March 1209 our allies in Lombardia went to war with a tiny Italian county.  I chose not to attend, not only because our help was unnecessary, but I wasnīt feeling well.  In fact, I was rather ill.

[At last, on October 29, 1209 Friedrich von Hohenstaufen died of the consumption.  May his callous soul rest in peace.]

Markward took the throne.

He is blessed with a talented wife, a Welshwoman, who is our new steward.

Heīs a man of fidelity.  This blonde temptation did not get the better of him.

I find it hard to believe, but somehow thereīs a shortage of bullshitters around the kingdom…

Years have passed in peace under Markward. The land has grown rich and orderly.  Heīs a real hero to the people.

What lies in store for us?  We have a large war chest and our reputation is growing in the world. 
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 11:45:02 am »

Obviously we shall become Seriously Wounded and slowly lose the game from that point out, as ordained to happen to every character in Crusader Kings that does well.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 10:10:30 pm »

Any good titles nearby we could make a claim on?

How stable is Germany?  Once it's good and collapsing, we should be able to get some goodies out of it.  Don't piss off anyone huge yet, though.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 10:39:21 am »

Nothing of cinematic consequence has happened in the latest four years. 

Speaking of titles, Sir Toaster, we dug up a title on the duchy of Franconia, on our northern border.  However, itīs snugly within the realm of the Kingdom of Germany.  Will have to put that one aside for now.

Our vassal Hartmann of Wurttemburg made a fool of himself – allied with our purple neighbour to the Southeast, the Duke of Tirol (my uncle, actually), he declared war on us on Christmas Eve, 1215.

I suspect something went wrong with his plan.  Probably he expected the Duke to join in with him and bite off a supple Swabian province or two; whatever the idea, it wasnīt worth the groin injury my poor marshal suffered crushing the petty assault.

(MetalSlimeīs warning now seems almost prophetic!)

One persistent problem in our realm is a dire shortage of capable courtiers.  Keeping my ministry posts full has been a challenge.  With the recent death (by gangrene of the groin) of my last marshal, a new man for the job arrived in Swabia, just in time.  He goes by Heinrich, and I like him already.

Being as splendidly rich as we are, I doled out some surplus gold to the poor.  You know, good karma.

The next day, I installed a new bishop, completing my retinue.  Bishop Rudolf is a capable man, and loyal.  Heīs a challenging opponent in chess, too.

In March 1219, a census poll taken in our largest towns showed us the people are truly prospering very well.  This is a great source of prestige for us.  We also have a current stability level of +3 (vulnerable only to dragons and bubonic plague).
Another Medium castle has been begun in Briesgau as of April 1218 and will bring us great glory (50pr) and security when finished.

As for titles, thereīs really not a lot of land that can be grabbed up right now, but thereīs one promising option.  The Duchy of Upper Burgundy now consists of only two provinces.  In fact, if we were to seize either County of Bern or Neuschatel, we would control 4 of 6 provinces composing the Duchy proper, and could legitimately declare ourselves Duke.  But first the title to either county must be obtained and the cost would be between 250-350 prestige to do that right now.  Thereīs no hope of vassalizing either right now.

The Kingdom of Germany is unfortunately knitting itself back together under a child king and currently looks very solid.  The military might of the kingdom has repressed at least three Bavarian secessions in the last dozen years.  But thereīs a īRealm Duressī badge on his info page so perhaps those still waters run deep.  We shall see.

Our neighbors are:
Kingdom of Germany to the north and east, our Italian ally the Duke of Lombardy to the south, the petty Duchy of Upper Burgundy eeking out an existence in the Alps to the SW, Kingdom of France at our western tip, and the Duchy of Upper Lorraine to our NW.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 10:51:18 am »

A child king, eh? Sounds like prime assassinating waters.

Also:
No Gods, No Masters.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 10:56:35 am »

Watching, this game is great fun, though I can't seem to find a copy.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 11:10:32 am »

It really is fun, if youīre into this kind of thing.  I wouldnīt have touched it with a pole five years ago!

Toaster put up a link to buy the whole set for 10 bucks, up there ^.  I bought my CK+DV off of Gamersgate.net (20 bones at the time), which lets you download it as many times as you want once you pay.  I wouldnīt be playing right now otherwise - Iīve loaded it onto a borrowed laptop where Iīm studying in Nicaragua!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 01:20:29 pm »

The $10 deal expires today, BTW, so if you want it, strike while the iron is hot.

You're pretty damn rich for your size.  With full coffers and rock-solid stability, you can afford to shake a Burgundy tree.  Take the prestige hit- you'll get some back when you put another Duke in front of your name.  (Markward... tee hee)  They don't have any powerful friends, do they?

Again, let Germany fall apart on its own.  It won't take forever, and you don't want to get any chunks on you.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 04:56:01 pm »

I tried to get it, but Gamersgate doesn't accept pre-paid credit cards apparently, as it's refusing all my transactions. I know I have at least $50 left, so it's a damn liar if it tells me I can't afford it.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.
Pages: [1] 2 3