Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I made a Lava Cannon  (Read 1465 times)

Leeko

• Bay Watcher
  • Wab.
    • View Profile
I made a Lava Cannon
« on: July 22, 2010, 04:29:57 pm »

So I read the stupid dwarf tricks page on magmawiki, but other than that one thread linked there I couldn't find anyone who actually did this. The maximum range I observed was 6 tiles out, but it puts so much lava out so fast that the seemingly small range doesn't matter. Almost immediately (maybe 10 seconds after this screenshot), I had a guesstimated 20x50 space covered with lava. Also, notably, it's directly above the entrance to my fortress and under the pumps that pressurize it there's an airlock area filled with chained animals for thief detection as well as a bunch of cage traps.

If you want to see it in action, here's the save. Sorry about the size but this is in a huge world. There's already a command to pull the firing lever. The adjacent lever cuts it off from its source, the nearby volcano. If not for the foresight of adding those floodgates, I wouldn't have been able to actually make it work. :D It was nothing but a fancy lava-drip tube until I drained it and added the wall that seals off the space in between the pumps, so that the pressurized magma can't go anywhere but out.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 04:49:32 pm by Leeko »
"Asen Zoz, 'The Gravel of Pondering' - This is a Alunite Harp. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is an image of Blossomeven the Cold Tactics the perfect precious fire opal in Precious fire opal."

Leeko

• Bay Watcher
  • Wab.
    • View Profile
Re: Lava Cannon
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 04:46:52 pm »

Changed the link to the correct save
"Asen Zoz, 'The Gravel of Pondering' - This is a Alunite Harp. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is an image of Blossomeven the Cold Tactics the perfect precious fire opal in Precious fire opal."

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I made a Lava Cannon
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 04:47:49 pm »

Is it possible to catapult lava via bridge?
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Leeko

• Bay Watcher
  • Wab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 04:49:15 pm »

Not sure, I'll have to explore that in another fortress.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 08:36:36 pm »

Is it possible to catapult lava via bridge?
Bridges should just make it disappear. I'm actually building a magma destroying chamber for clearing out the magma running inside my fort in case the pipes ever need reworking, so I should be able to check for myself soon. Retracting bridges don't seem to do anything to magma though.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.