Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Dual wielding weapons.  (Read 11233 times)

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dual wielding weapons.
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2010, 07:57:05 pm »

Here's a thought. Perhaps when a dwarf gets up to legendary in a fighting skill, there's a small (like, 5% or less) chance that he develops a unique signature fighting style, like for example being especially good at headshots, disarming his foes, shattering shields, etc. One of the signature fighting styles could be two-weapon fighting and provides some bonus like making him especially likely to hit with all attacks. But the chances of developing a two-weapon fighter would be slim, so instead of running around with a fort full of Warcraft berserkers, there's a possibility that your fort will be home to Dwarf Miyomoto Musashi.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2010, 08:24:17 pm »

Here's a thought. Perhaps when a dwarf gets up to legendary in a fighting skill, there's a small (like, 5% or less) chance that he develops a unique signature fighting style.

Actually Toady is allowing new fighting styles earlier then that. Though he isn't going to be letting nooby people do so.

Though I think I understand what you mean... Something off the wall unique.

I'd hate for Dwarf Fortress to get too utilitarian because it would basically recreate the UFC... Id hate to think of this scenario
Me: "Ohh my character invented Ogre Style martial arts"
Them: "Yeah? I created Punching Martial Art. I win!"
Me: "Dang your right. I knew I should have trained under Vanilla Style. I am useless now"
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 08:39:45 pm by Neonivek »

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2010, 08:54:49 pm »

I fail to see the problem with a Dwarven UFC, especially if weapons are allowed and there are no other rules.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2010, 08:57:56 pm »

I fail to see the problem with a Dwarven UFC, especially if weapons are allowed and there are no other rules.

You like the idea of a martial arts tournament. In the UFC despite being a Mixed Martial arts, the range of fighting styles so quickly diminished that often it is like there is only 3 styles (though I don't like watching in general... I am not a fan of constant clinches)

What I mean is, I hope the game doesn't make any sort of stylish or flowery martial art essentially poor just because it tended to do that in real life.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2010, 09:02:29 pm »

The realist fans are going to come in and shout at you, you know. ;)

Anyway, the notion of fighting styles is interesting. Why? Think: fighting styles in Real Life are all built on and around fighting people. However, DF is not populated by people. There can be centaurs, trogs, dragons. Can you imagine what a fighting style developed to fight a dragon would be like? Or a centaur's limb number advantage being put to good use?

Although I suppose Toady hasn't thought exactly about what the combat arc will entail; rather he just has a general idea of what he wants in it.

(And if we're talking about dual wielding weapons being improbable? Dudes, I got throttled to death once. By a lion. With its left lower leg. The wrestling system needs some fixin'.)
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

TaintedMustard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2010, 09:04:44 pm »

The realist fans are going to come in and shout at you, you know. ;)

Anyway, the notion of fighting styles is interesting. Why? Think: fighting styles in Real Life are all built on and around fighting people. However, DF is not populated by people. There can be centaurs, trogs, dragons. Can you imagine what a fighting style developed to fight a dragon would be like?

No, but I can't imagine that the master who invented it thinks it's a good idea to use it against humans, too.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2010, 09:20:02 pm »

Lance charges would work great against dragons and people.

Though I assume that a monster slaying style would have some compensatory moves to protect against lesser targets. Afterall those beasts may have followers and you don't want your oversized weaponry to be too much of a hinderance.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2010, 10:15:57 pm »

going back to the topic set by the FIRST POST.
this reminds me about a bug(?) in adventure mode were if you went to your (r)emoved something from your inventory, it would be instantly moved to your hands, regardless of what you have in it. it does make sorting out your inventory a bit easier, though in retrospect, it could allow to weild 20 sheilds in your hands, each one actually acting to block out attacks.
on a side note quivers make an okay weapon container as they hold 2-3 daggers,spears,and et cetera.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2010, 11:15:28 pm »

The corresponding bug, of course, is that if both your hands are full, whatever you pick up would instantly be crammed into one of your backpacks. It is literally possible to stash everything you've ever killed inside a backpack this way.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2010, 03:54:43 pm »

... so why hasn't Prince Zuko popped up yet?

His style of two blades, usually working in tandem, seemed reasonable for chopping and slicing enemies.

it's out of dwarf style of course, but still.

Is it sufficient/suitable for dispatching unarmoured wizards?

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2010, 08:14:55 pm »

really there's no reason any weapon couldn't kill an unarmored wizard, assuming the wizard can be killed by mortal weapons and such

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2010, 03:46:25 am »

Even if dual-wielding is ridiculously impractical and will get your champion/adventurer killed within seconds, that should not stop you from trying.

Also, telling novice swordsmen to dual-wield should have a chance of resulting in hilarious self-decapitation.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2010, 08:13:34 am »

Even if dual-wielding is ridiculously impractical and will get your champion/adventurer killed within seconds, that should not stop you from trying.

Long before that, i would prefer if Dwarves learned to carry spare weapon along with items like scabards (seriously, why does every fantasy game lack them?) and belts.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2010, 08:17:08 am »

Yes, a Combat AI update would be nice.

TaintedMustard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2010, 09:58:01 am »

scabards (seriously, why does every fantasy game lack them?)

Easier and cheaper to just make weapons float at the hip or on the back. Especially the back. Game developers seem to love putting gigantic weapons on their main characters' backs.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8