Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Dual wielding weapons.  (Read 11256 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dual wielding weapons.
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2010, 03:31:55 pm »

A single shotgun is probably much more effective than trying to fire two semi-auto pistols at the same time. The shotgun will have a smaller spread as well.

In order to find any benefit for dual wielding a weapon in a realistic situation and actually using both weapons to attack with rather than use one to defend with (which was very common, a blade is much easier to carry around than a shield, though not as effective) you need to set things up to be very contrived. Its only a very, very narrow range where dual wielding will have any benefit.

That said, I would like to see two handed weapons have more importance in the game. A two handed axe, polearm, or sword should be a fearsome weapon indeed. One way this could probably be handled would be to reduce the effectiveness of a shield slightly but then increase the effectiveness of armor. This means that while the dwarf with an axe and shield will be able to avoid a lot of damage, the axe will require many attacks to get through the plate armor of the opponent. The two handed axe will cleave right through even very thick armor, but sacrifices protection to do this.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2010, 03:40:50 pm »

Well in theory you could fire two crossbows in one hand.

Though in everyway I'd think it would be better just to take two seperate shots.

Though I'd love to see Wrist Crossbows and other assasinesk weaponry in the game.

Another way to shoot two guns at once is to simply aim with your waist

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2010, 05:44:24 pm »

then there is fencing (It is very tough to parry a thrust)
i fence, it isnt very hard to parry a thrust. Of course if you had no training it would be rather difficult but compared to most attacks simple thrusts are one of the easiest to defend against. The key is you dont need to stop their attack all you need to do is make sure that attack doesn't hit you.
Also if you want a situation where two daggers are more useful then a Sword and Dagger... then your forgetting another reason why people used two weapons at once. Because their weapons were also throwing weapons!

the whole carrying multiple weapons thing is perfectly fine with me, its just the idea of using multiple ones at once that i disagree with being any kind of common practice. the whole its ok cause they are the hero thing  i dont really like but id be fine with its ok cause he is so amazing he takes the downside along with the awesomeness

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2010, 06:11:12 pm »

With all this talk going on: what can you guys and girls say about crossbow in one hand, backup melee weapon in the other? Wise or unwise?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2010, 06:17:56 pm »

With all this talk going on: what can you guys and girls say about crossbow in one hand, backup melee weapon in the other? Wise or unwise?

How do you intend to reload the crossbow?

Secondary weapons are perfectly fine, and should be encouraged. You have your primary weapon and secondary weapon. Use the secondary if the primary is broken, stuck, or not working for any reason.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2010, 07:24:42 pm »

IT WOULD LOOK COOL!!!!

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2010, 08:26:15 pm »

It would be so goddamn cool, if Crossbows didn't take so much effort to reload.

Now, a flintlock pistol and a sword in one hand? Badass pirate.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

TaintedMustard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2010, 08:40:46 pm »

You need both hands to reload a crossbow. Might as well keep the sword in its scabbard until the enemy closes on you.

Soldiers should be able to carry more than one weapon, just not wield them at the same time.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2010, 08:42:58 pm »

Yes, I've been wondering what the combat arc will entail. Will it mean more intelligent unit AI, meaning that crossbowdwarves switch to a viable melee weapon if their opponent gets too close?
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2010, 11:33:19 pm »

most attacks simple thrusts are one of the easiest to defend against

They are but I meant in relation to a swing.

Anyhow so as we seen Dual weilding existed it was just very uncommon.

Add in that this is a fantasy setting, though not a "everything goes" setting, and it shouldn't be non-existant.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2010, 02:12:42 am »

I can't wait for the threads of people complaining that dual wielding doesn't work like it does in WoW. Endless whining about wanting a dwarven berserker or other nonsense.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 02:14:30 am by Pilsu »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2010, 02:17:11 am »

I can't wait for the threads of people complaining that dual wielding doesn't work like it does in WoW. Endless whining about wanting a dwarven berserker or other nonsense.

What is this even supposed to mean?

thekemp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2010, 02:20:08 am »

Hmm, i only made this thread because i was curious to why my Militia commander had a weapon in each hand according to his inventory menu, And accidently posted in the suggestions forum because i fav'd the wrong page.

And it gets 4 pages of comments, funny how things work eh.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2010, 02:40:22 am »

Uh.

Yeah, whoops.

TaintedMustard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2010, 03:36:23 am »

Hmm, i only made this thread because i was curious to why my Militia commander had a weapon in each hand according to his inventory menu, And accidently posted in the suggestions forum because i fav'd the wrong page.

And it gets 4 pages of comments, funny how things work eh.

Welcome...

...to The Internet.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8