Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tattooist.  (Read 1319 times)

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tattooist.
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 07:44:37 pm »

Let the tanner do it.
Tanning has actually little do with it. Tanners just treat the removed skin so that it will not decompose and stays durable but flexible. I think it mostly involves using some kind of... substance on the skin to mess with it's structure. In middle ages the "substance" included either feces or urine if I recall correctly.

Tanners used to actually live apart from rest of the people, since it was such a dirty job that anyone not used to the smell found it unbearable.

Yeah I know.

The poor buggers barely get any work, though. It'd make sense to get a job on the side; especially since they're around "substances" and know their way around skin, it'd make a little bit of sense, yes? ... no?
Suturing would still make more sense. It's more about sophistication with a needle than crude knowledge about hides.

Tanners are by no mean the most useless dwarves to have around, and tanning also makes a good side-skill for less active dwarves. And we can't give improper uses for skills just because they could be made more useful.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 07:47:27 pm »

Yeah.. not that it'd make any sense to have a tattoo parlor inside the tanner's workshop anyway. That's just BEGGING for infection.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 03:13:37 am »

Yeah.. not that it'd make any sense to have a tattoo parlor inside the tanner's workshop anyway. That's just BEGGING for infection.

Are you implying that having a tattoo parlor anywhere in a dwarf fortress isn't begging for infection? Any given room or corridor is likely to contain some combination of free-roaming livestock, blood, vomit, or rotting, miasmic bodies.

Hell, being in of a dwarf fortress at all is begging for infection.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 07:54:34 am »

No worries: magma is a good sterilizer.

docawesome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 09:50:05 pm »

I can picture a dwarf running around randomly tattooing other dwarfs with images of cheese or the dwarfs family getting butchered by goblins it would be a more dickish version of the engraver.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 10:51:28 pm »

I can picture a baby completely covered in tattoos.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 11:05:27 pm »

I can picture a baby completely covered in tattoos.
This is a baby,it has a tatoo of the war of squashednuts.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2010, 02:58:49 pm »

Or suturing. Or perhaps engraving.
I think using both suturing and dyeing would be the best, although I don't think any other feature uses two skills at the same time.

Maybe like a building requiring architecture. But at the same time.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.
Pages: 1 [2]