Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tattooist.  (Read 1315 times)

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tattooist.
« on: July 22, 2010, 07:40:31 am »

Like an engraver, same images, but on your dwarves in ink (made from dye). Happy thoughts from high quality tats. Dunno if tatoos are dwarfy or not, but they suit bikers, who have big beards and drink a lot... Maybe scary tatoos give your dwarves a small psychological advantage in battle as well.
> Goblin swordsman was momentarily distracted by Urist McInked's full face skull tatoo.
Or something..

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tattooist.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 07:48:43 am »

I'm not really sure if I'm too thrilled about adding another marginally useful skill to the game. My military already consists mostly of nude cheese maker punishment squads. Maybe if it used an existing skill, like dyeing.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 07:24:02 pm by Cotes »
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 08:23:44 am »

Or suturing. Or perhaps engraving.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 08:27:22 am »

So this tattoist got jailed because the noble he tatto'd didn't like that engraving of vermins which he hates so much.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 08:29:46 am »

Now if intimidatingness was put into DF this would go perfectly.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 08:46:31 am »

Or suturing. Or perhaps engraving.
I think using both suturing and dyeing would be the best, although I don't think any other feature uses two skills at the same time.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 09:45:55 am »

I remember seeing something like this back in april or so, but it more generally included "body modification" as a form of "uniform".  Meaning that you could make earrings or tattoos or even scarrification a part of a military dress code.

It devolved, though, since while it's fine and good to tattoo your own dwarves, it causes Unfortunate Implications problems when you want to make all goblins have bones through their nose so you can recreate some kind of British Dwarves bringing Civilization to the (pure evil) Savage Zulu Goblin Tribes.

As for tattooing your dwarves, itself, I honestly don't see much benefit, but hey, if you REALLY wanna go showing off your ink in view mode, go ahead.

I'd say it should be considered only one skill, and that, honestly, I guess engraving is a close enough deal to it, as suturing invovles the skill of tying skin together, wheras even the most basic form of tattooing that we are using here is just piercing the skin with something sharp before applying ink. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 09:53:38 am »

Great. I will finally be able to enjoy Dwarves having [decorated left buttock]s.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 11:10:56 am »

I can see it now... every dwarf would have a tattoo of their mayor weeping after being removed from office.   :P

Anyway, I like the idea.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 12:30:38 pm »

I can see it now... every dwarf would have a tattoo of their mayor weeping after being removed from office.   :P

Nonsense, they will forever commemerate the TOTALLY AWESOME tattoo that the tattooist just put on the guy who was tattooed just before him with a picture of the tattooist inking the other tattoo.

Bonus points if it's a tattoo on something clearly visible, like the forearm of a dwarf that has an image of another dwarf's ass getting tattooed.

Customer: "But- But- I asked for a tattoo that said "love mom" on it!"
Tattooist: "That last guy wasn't your mom?"
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:52:46 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 12:45:59 pm »

On this tatooed engraving is a picture of cheese. The cheese is striking a mencacing pose.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 01:46:06 pm »

If anything, Tattoos would just make it more fun to visualize the dwarves, or if adventurer's can get tattoos then drawing your own adventurer on Mspaint could be cooler. Its one of the many things which no, are not at all essential to the game, but would add richness.

But hopefully eventually we'll get the ability to have some sway in what the theme of an engraving will be, then we could transfer that to tattoos. Without it tattoos will wind up like engravings......really, really random (and dwarfy).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 07:18:28 pm »

Let the tanner do it.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 07:33:26 pm »

Let the tanner do it.
Tanning has actually little do with it. Tanners just treat the removed skin so that it will not decompose and stays durable but flexible. I think it mostly involves using some kind of... substance on the skin to mess with it's structure. In middle ages the "substance" included either feces or urine if I recall correctly.

Tanners used to actually live apart from rest of the people, since it was such a dirty job that anyone not used to the smell found it unbearable.

[Edit] Suggestion: Hey, let's make tanner dwarves smell!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 07:36:07 pm by Cotes »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 07:36:56 pm »

Let the tanner do it.
Tanning has actually little do with it. Tanners just treat the removed skin so that it will not decompose and stays durable but flexible. I think it mostly involves using some kind of... substance on the skin to mess with it's structure. In middle ages the "substance" included either feces or urine if I recall correctly.

Tanners used to actually live apart from rest of the people, since it was such a dirty job that anyone not used to the smell found it unbearable.

Yeah I know.

The poor buggers barely get any work, though. It'd make sense to get a job on the side; especially since they're around "substances" and know their way around skin, it'd make a little bit of sense, yes? ... no?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: [1] 2