Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Our Sci-Fi & Fantasy Club watched 'Eragon' tonight  (Read 14430 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Our Sci-Fi & Fantasy Club watched 'Eragon' tonight
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2010, 02:46:09 am »

That was the first thing I noticed when I picked it up (actually, I wasn't even the one who picked it up, my mom got it for me several years ago).  Even in my younger state, I was wondering if anyone else had noticed that this guy was a ponce.

Then I started reading it.  I tried, you know?  I really tried.  I got as far as the witch/werecat/whatever the hell she is and then just left the book somewhere.  The final droplet of my interest had dribbled away, and even though I was barely older than the fellow when he had first written it,I just couldn't bring myself to read another word.

Of course, I also happen to consider the Wheel of Time books to be complete unoriginal rubbish.  Take that as you will.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2010, 04:42:58 am »

Man, I couldn't even get through the first hundred pages of the Sword of Shannara. I was mentally screaming "YOU RIPPED OFF TOLKIEN AND DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER CHANGING THE CHARACTERS AROUND, YOU FUCKING JACKASS" for the whole time. And then I got to the "dwarves are evolutionary offshoots of men" thing and I just threw the book across the room. With great force.

When Jack Vance does magitech, it's cool. When Terry Brooks did it, it was lousy.

I suppose I should give him a second chance, but... meh.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2010, 05:35:00 am »

I threw the Wheel of Time book I tried out of my window. Well, technically I uppercutted it off the windowsill.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2010, 11:06:38 am »

The books were shit, the movies were shit.

I realized soon after finishing the third book (My brother loves it, and I decided to read it after having nothing else to read... :S) that he ripped the plot from Star Wars, the magic system was stolen from Earthsea and, thanks to this thread, he's hawt for Elves.

Damn it, I wasted a part of my life on that shit!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2010, 11:13:42 am »

I'd rather read horrible fan-fiction.
At least that has narm value.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2010, 01:48:39 pm »

Dragon is a potentially badass title, if there are no actual dragons in the book.

Sure, I can agree to that, but the condition there is the entire reason why I believe my point is valid.

dragon is still a better title than drakon, thragon, bragon, draghon, eragon... i don't think calling a book about a dragon "dragon" is a bad thing, it's so simple and minimalistic it's actually kinda cool, especially if it plays with cliches and tropes and tropes in a wink at the camera. and you can all thank me for not linking to tv tropes there.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2010, 03:01:35 pm »

I think that the books are worth it to read them. But only if you read the sporkings, those are just hilarious.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2010, 03:29:01 am »

I loved the first two books to death when I was 10-12 years old and now I get bored every time I pick them back up.

Oddly enough a huge number of 15-16 year olds I know love them. WhAtEvEr. GoTtA Be rOlLiN At wHaT YoUr hEaRt's gEtTiN To bE AlL In, YoU KnOw?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2010, 02:57:58 pm »

WhAtEvEr. GoTtA Be rOlLiN At wHaT YoUr hEaRt's gEtTiN To bE AlL In, YoU KnOw?
*'*'InG MiRaClEs.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

frostilicus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnerpin' the Glorpenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2010, 03:07:16 pm »

Man, I couldn't even get through the first hundred pages of the Sword of Shannara. I was mentally screaming "YOU RIPPED OFF TOLKIEN AND DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER CHANGING THE CHARACTERS AROUND, YOU FUCKING JACKASS" for the whole time. And then I got to the "dwarves are evolutionary offshoots of men" thing and I just threw the book across the room. With great force.
When Jack Vance does magitech, it's cool. When Terry Brooks did it, it was lousy.
Terry Brooks, imho, has been stuck in a childish writing style since he first picked up a pen. I liked Shannara the first time I picked it up (14), but now I can't even read the first two chapters before having to put the book down again.
Plus, it seems he ran the world/universe/whatever of Shannara into the ground.... Ten years ago, at least, but he keeps going with it.
"frostilicus cancels read book: Interrupted by shoddy writing."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2010, 03:15:03 pm »

I remember the first Shannara book being fairly decent. The later ones, not so much. Of course, I was like 10 at the time.

Haven't touched the Wheel of Time books. Had some friends that were gushing about them when the first few came out. Took a look at a quick guide to the mythos, and wanted to break Jordan's apostrophe key. Sticking apostrophes in weird places and using funny spellings of traditional fantasy labels does NOT make you a good writer. Else, we'd be playing Dwh'arf Fortress.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

frostilicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2010, 03:59:18 pm »

I was like 10 at the time.
Exactly.
Haven't touched the Wheel of Time books. Had some friends that were gushing about them when the first few came out. Took a look at a quick guide to the mythos, and wanted to break Jordan's apostrophe key. Sticking apostrophes in weird places and using funny spellings of traditional fantasy labels does NOT make you a good writer. Else, we'd be playing Dwh'arf Fortress.
I never noticed this....
The WoT series definitely does have its typical hero story crap, but I always felt Jordan did a fine job of telling the story.
The problem with people explaining a story as "the same as x" or "just like y" is everyone has the basic everything all laid out.
Spoiler: For Hugeness (click to show/hide)
And let's just leave out the hero types that are rampant in every story.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 04:02:20 pm by frostilicus »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2010, 04:36:28 pm »

Hah, my mom picked that "Hero With a Thousand Faces" book up from the library not that long ago.  I didn't read anything in it though, plus I was already somewhat familiar with how a number of different mythologies have similar or damn near identical heroic figures.

Of course, I never even got that far in the Wheel of Time books.  The first book I looked at, I could barely keep myself from putting it down for one reason or another.  It took me a couple days just to get through the introduction.

then I started reading.  Okay, Trollocs...  I don't like it, but I can ignore it for now.  Now let's see...  Spontaneous and out-of-character childish antics?   ...alright, I can live with that.  Whatever.  Moving on...

What.  Did you seriously just have a bard briefly mention the tale of Urther Paendrag???

Alright, no.  Just... No.  You don't get to do that.  Piss off.

frostilicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2010, 05:21:04 pm »

Yeah. He did that. Sadly, it's even a semi-central part of the story.
I'm alright with most references because he usually keeps them as minor as possible.
Trollocs, for instance, are similar to trolls only by the similarity of the name and the fact they are both humanoid. Trolls, in every description I've ever read, are completely different than trollocs.

The Uther Pendragon similarities are more than minor, though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2010, 05:50:54 pm »

Stuff like that should only be acceptable if it's contained in an alternate retelling of history, not some insulting mess that someone dribbles down for lack of inspiration, or lack of stretching their minds farther than children's story tales.

For example, when Code Geass references that stuff, it's because it's an homage to that sort of thing and is blatant that the country of Brittania (Modern day US and Britain) has similar name rulings that we use today (Lancelot-class Knightmare Frames, similar naming scheme to Churchill or Sherman tanks). But this just seems more like a blatant bastardization than an homage. Maybe it was supposed to be the opposite, but from what little I gather, it seems to have gone the other way.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11