Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Our Sci-Fi & Fantasy Club watched 'Eragon' tonight  (Read 14433 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Our Sci-Fi & Fantasy Club watched 'Eragon' tonight
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2010, 04:52:09 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2010, 05:08:40 pm »

The Elves are shit, really.
They are atheist (Atheism in an age where science is practically unheard of?) and keep on whining how they're dying out. Are they going to do something, since they are mentally and physically vastly superior to humans? No, of course not, because Elves are pacifist whiny bitches for some reason.

Are you saying Athiesm is directly related to Science?
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2010, 05:14:11 pm »

I'm saying that in a world where there is no scientific explanation whatsoever for anything AND people are able to perform magic the people might believe more in gods than a modern society where stuff can be explained and there is no magic.

But please, let's no fire up an atheist discussion.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2010, 05:22:04 pm »

I'm saying that in a world where there is no scientific explanation whatsoever for anything AND people are able to perform magic the people might believe more in gods than a modern society where stuff can be explained and there is no magic.

Im not, im just saying that what you posted was silly. Some people are always going to be athiest(some greeks and romans where), not for science but for the sake that they just dont believe. Maybe their Science was their magic.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2010, 07:05:47 pm »

Im not, im just saying that what you posted was silly. Some people are always going to be athiest(some greeks and romans where), not for science but for the sake that they just dont believe. Maybe their Science was their magic.
The thing is, without science, religion will win an atheist vs theist debate in the court of public opinion hands down based solely on the origin of the universe debate (explained by gods/goddesses vs no logical explaination). So while there would indeed be atheists in most, if not every society, the likelyhood of mass-atheism in a pre-scientific culture is next to zero. So it is a valid plot hole. That said, being immortal would reduce the primary incentive of being religious; namely the promise of living forever in some form or fasion.

As for the novels I think the next book should describe how Eragon gets killed. Followed by revealing the Big Bad as being the hero of the story all along. After all, if he kills Eragon, he can't be all that bad, right?

Oh, and about the elves slowly dieing off, they mention they don't have many children. Which combined with other evidence (ie: their behavior) leads me to believe they are all too egotistical and too busy talking about "The good ole days" that they can't even put up with one another long enough to have sex. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 8)

Although my thoughts on it may not be complete, since I didn't bother past the second book.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2010, 07:30:34 pm »

Are they like the Discworld atheists who simply refuse to worship any god rather than disbelieving them?

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2010, 07:38:45 pm »

Are they like the Discworld atheists who simply refuse to worship any god rather than disbelieving them?
That's more "Nay Theist."

As I understand it, the atheists in Discworld tend to get struck by lightning and whatnot quite often.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2010, 09:29:46 pm »

Which is why it's useful for a Discworld atheist to be made of clay, I guess.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2010, 09:43:30 pm »

It was a while ago, but IIRC the elves DID believe in gods, based in effect on scientific reasoning. So... I don't know what that makes them. I think the author likes atheism, but you could say this is a book that benefits from death of the author. OFC someone went to go get their gun upon reading that sentence...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2010, 09:51:13 pm »

It was a while ago, but IIRC the elves DID believe in gods, based in effect on scientific reasoning. So... I don't know what that makes them. I think the author likes atheism, but you could say this is a book that benefits from death of the author. OFC someone went to go get their gun upon reading that sentence...

The critical version does matter in this case. LITERAL DEATH OF THE AUTHOR MUST BE ENACTED.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2010, 04:53:21 am »

paolini just really likes elves, so of course his elves have to share his opinions and be generally superior to everything

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2010, 10:46:38 am »

everybody knows, and i think that's the main reason everybody here hates them, that elves are the biggest mary sues ever. we all know legolas is peter jacksons alter ego.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2010, 11:07:17 am »

Which makes me curious as to why Paolini's elves have no pubes.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2010, 11:19:28 am »

he probably cribbed that from D&D, i remember some dude i knew who was into that game saying they had no pubes and i'm wondering how did he find out since it probably doesn't come up often. but i've never read any D&D novels so maybe it does come up allot.

that means elves are stuck as pre-teens forever and they will never grow a beard anywhere on their body. don't hate them, pity them instead.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2010, 11:31:29 am »

Quote from: wikipedia
In the book Eldest, Paolini described his Elves as vegetarians. When asked about his own diet, Paolini answered, "No, I am not vegetarian, although I lean in that direction."[11]
i'd say he shaves them.
also:
Quote from: wikipedia
In the acknowledgments of Brisingr,  Paolini acknowledged the influence of Leon and Hiroko Kapp's The Craft of the Japanese Sword for his description of the forging of Eragon's sword
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11