Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Badass Cripple (Or Interesting Bug?)  (Read 916 times)

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Badass Cripple (Or Interesting Bug?)
« on: July 21, 2010, 10:10:20 pm »

So I've got me a fort halfway through the second year. So far, it's been pretty dull - no goblins have shown up at all so far. The biggest event yet was when two kobold thieves were caught within one step of each other. One was caught by a sissy treehugger elven merchant by the main entrance. The other was caught at the then-open stairway into my WIP obsidian tower by a speardwarf. Now, due to lack of appropriate armor (all I have access to is copper, and all my fuel has been used up) and because that goblin seemed to have quite the ballsack on him, he attacked my speardwarf. And lopped his goddamned hand off in a single strike. The hand fell down the stairs and landed in the weapon stockpile.

I think the dwarf went into shock at that point. As the kobold ran away, this guy made a mad dash to my main entrance, presumably clutching at his stump and wondering why he was painting the floor red with it. He spent the next day bleeding and completely pale while my chief medical dwarf sat on his ass.

Here's where it gets awesome. After the wound stopped bleeding (he's very quick to heal), I got another announcement that the same kobold, persistent bugger that he is, was caught by my walled-off farm area. I immediately ordered the crippled dwarf's squad to attack the thief. Since half his squad was off drinking or eating, the cripple dashed outside, still pale and weak from blood loss, with a hammerdwarf next to him, and caught up with the thief. The cripple proceeded to get sweet, sweet revenge by impaling that little bastard for all he was worth. This includes both lungs, mind you. While he did this, the hammerdwarf systematically broke every limb on the kobold's body, ending with the upper spine. After a couple more grievous stab wounds, the kobold managed to drag himself a single tile (presumably by the chin, since that's about all he could manage to move) and died.

The dwarves then returned to the barracks and proceeded to train, even while the cripple was close to fainting from weakness. He kept on training. Then, while casually checking his inventory, I saw this.

He adapted to his injury by way of extreme multitasking.

He was credited with killing the goblin, so that makes him the dwarf with the highest kill count. And he did it with only one hand. While barely conscious due to blood loss.

I hope he gets a statue made in his honor. Hell, I might even make one once this damned place is finally running properly.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 02:23:33 am by Rhaken »
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Badass Cripple
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 10:46:51 pm »

I don't care if the dwarf is female, they have the biggest ballsack in your world.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Badass Cripple (Or Interesting Bug?)
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 09:16:53 am »

brb adding a shrine to St:Vabok in my temple
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

Zajadu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Pulse Life Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 09:22:46 am »

Was it a goblin or a kobold? You called it both.
Awesome either way.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 09:55:55 am »

pfft, your dwarf is a sissy, one of my  war dog trainers (thats the best army i have) went after a giant toad no armor no weapon, while maiming it along with the 20 dogs it somehow bit off his hand,

the badass part is he didnt go into shock, didnt go to the hospital, did not do a damned thing except continue beating the shit out of this toad

after it was dead he did not go to the hospital, he never went to the hospital

he probably got a drink, damned dwarves
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 02:02:54 pm »

Was it a goblin or a kobold? You called it both.
Awesome either way.

It was a kobold, if you count the earliest statements the truest. There's really so little difference between them that you can't expect all of us to remember which we're talking about all of the time.

I've had dwarves do similar things. Losing entire amrs/legs and not going to the hospital, not even for cleaning/suturing, because it stopped bleeding. Then again, I've got worthless fools that experienced the same and stopped everything, right where they stood/sat/lie, nobody taking them to the hospital, feeding them, or bringing them water. They eventually die of thirst or starvation, while tantrumming, causing a tantrum spiral. Maybe everybody, even them, thought someone else was supposed to be taking care of them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 02:32:36 pm »

Ive just had a metalcrafter have his foot hacked off by a kobold, I have picked up steel daggers of their corpses that strew my lawn, this may explain it
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 03:34:37 pm »

I've got a military dwarf (I think he might even be the Captain, I have to wait until I get home to check) missing his right hand from some early goblin ambush.  His description says "His right hand is completely missing" and "He has a horrible scar on his lower right arm."

Not only is he regularly out in the courtyard leading sparring demonstrations, dodging demonstrations or attending individual sparring practice more than any other dwarf in my military, he is rapidly on his way to being an Axemaster Champion ... while carrying his battle axe in his "right hand."

I picture a masterful dwarfly contraption strapping a full-sized battle axe to the stump of this scarred badass's right arm while he stands outside, sun or rain, heat or cold, swinging that sumbitch at the practice dummies while decked out in full steel plate, just waiting for his chance to get even.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0