Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can I move my (not so) old fortress to a new version of the game?  (Read 1367 times)

EvilAmarant7x

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I just started playing recently, the LazyNewbPack made it easy for me to avoid learned to read the ASCII and just play. But what I downloaded was 31.08, and there's new stuff out now. Is there a way to move the fortress to 31.10 (and future iterations), or do I just have to plain restart with every update? Is it as easy as moving the data/save folder from one version to the next, or are there other things that should change as well? Thanks.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can I move my (not so) old fortress to a new version of the game?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 09:53:13 pm »

I just started playing recently, the LazyNewbPack made it easy for me to avoid learned to read the ASCII and just play. But what I downloaded was 31.08, and there's new stuff out now. Is there a way to move the fortress to 31.10 (and future iterations), or do I just have to plain restart with every update? Is it as easy as moving the data/save folder from one version to the next, or are there other things that should change as well? Thanks.

If you download the new lazy newb pack, it'll work if you copy over your save folder to the new version.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 10:00:36 pm »

Though the raws will still be pre-09/10 (I think). So be sure to update the item_weapon.txt, item_ammo.txt and inorganic_metal.txt raws in the saves to 09/10 to get most of the improvements. Unless you are using a mod, then copying over the raws might cause some problems.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 11:17:10 pm »

You just open the "data" folder which is in the folder where the DF .exe is. In there are the saves, move them to the equivalent in the new version.
There's some level of raw disparity. It's not a big enough deal that you necessarily need to fix it if you don't want to bother.

If you do want to, it's still fairly simple. You just copy the item_weapon.txt, item_ammo.txt and inorganic_metal.txt raws from "raw/objects" (again, in the folder with DF's .exe) to the raw/objects in the folders within data/save. That's be the "region1" or "region2" or whatever. If you have more than one like that, do it for each of them. Don't do it for "current".

EvilAmarant7x

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 10:07:42 am »

So with every update, is it the same story: copy over my save folder and move over those 3 raws? Or were those 3 raws specifically because of this update? If so, should I just replace the whole raw folder in the save with the raw folder from the new version of DF?

Thanks!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 04:13:06 pm »

So with every update, is it the same story: copy over my save folder and move over those 3 raws? Or were those 3 raws specifically because of this update?
The three raws were specifically because of the raw update. And unless toady says you need to update raws on the forum post of a new update, you don't need to update any raws.

If so, should I just replace the whole raw folder in the save with the raw folder from the new version of DF?
If you want. Though I can't say what will happen if you do. It should work, though I never tested it on my own fortresses before.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 05:35:57 pm »

If so, should I just replace the whole raw folder in the save with the raw folder from the new version of DF?

Generally, no.  If the new raws include certain types of changes (especially changes to creatures' body layouts), your save may act odd or even crash.