Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: training war dogs?  (Read 929 times)

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
training war dogs?
« on: July 21, 2010, 03:08:22 pm »

I've just started dabbling with the military system and I'm thinking of adding some war dogs to a squad... is it worth it?

Also, I've tried to train the war dogs in the kennel but it won't let me. I have an animal trainer and plenty of tame dogs running around, but it still says I need a trainable animal... what am I missing here?

Thanks

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: training war dogs?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 03:11:48 pm »

Once you get into sieges and larger monsters, dogs are only so much cannon fodder.  Still, while the dragon is distracted with the dogs your epic marksman might score a direct hit on its liver, spleen, heart, and reproductive bits in one shot!
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 03:23:18 pm »

Are the dogs in fact running around?  You can't turn them into war dogs if they're chained up or in cages.  You also can only train stray war dogs, not dogs that are already someone's pet.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 03:40:31 pm »

I like keeping pairs of war dogs in cages that I can unleash with the switch of a lever.

Takes a while to set up, but timed pandemonium from 38 trained killing dogs is worth every drop of effort.

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 04:50:38 pm »

Thanks for the info... the dogs are roaming freely... but they may all be pets... I will have to look into this

I do have some stray puppies... is there a way to prevent them from becoming pets so I can train them as war dogs when they mature?

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 05:29:01 pm »

I do have some stray puppies... is there a way to prevent them from becoming pets so I can train them as war dogs when they mature?
Don't assign them. Dogs don't get OMGFUZZY-itis like cats do.
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 06:40:08 pm »

I added [TRAIN] to the cow raws and now in addition to my fairly large wardog collection, I also have war cows and war bulls.

Yeah, couldn't figure out how to separate cows and bulls. But war bulls = hells yeah.
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 08:14:45 pm »

Yeah, couldn't figure out how to separate cows and bulls. But war bulls = hells yeah.

Lock up all the cows (any any other trainable animal you dont want to become a war animal) in a cage, set your animal trainer to make war animals, let the cows etc. back out.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 08:32:37 pm »

Well I meant in allowing warbulls but not warcows in the raws, but that works too, thanks.
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 09:22:29 pm »

I added [TRAIN] to the cow raws and now in addition to my fairly large wardog collection, I also have war cows and war bulls.

I did the same, but I took it a step further. War donkeys, imagine a kick right in the face. Plus war cats so that there not useless and when I go into battle my cat population always falls nicely.

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 08:58:37 am »

Well I meant in allowing warbulls but not warcows in the raws, but that works too, thanks.
try putting the train flag on only the male caste?
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.