Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I think I'm flooding the underworld  (Read 840 times)

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I think I'm flooding the underworld
« on: July 21, 2010, 11:27:41 am »

There's a cave on my map (I dramatically increased the number of caves at worldgen).

A very nasty minotaur lives in the cave. Somewhere deep down where I can't see him. But he keeps sneaking up and chasing my dwarfs around if they get too close.

So I channeled some water from the nearby stream to fill up his cave, figuring I'd drown him.

Well the water has been draining into the cave for almost a year now... the levels I can see it's still only 3 units deep. On the u screen I'm seeing dead "Elk Birds" (whatever those are) which I think I'm drowning.

I guess the cave opens into one (or more) of the underground cavern layers and I'mslowly flooding the whole thing.

So I guess I just need to wait for the critters to all die, then un-channel the water somehow (I hear you can use pumps to get it dry long enough to dam it), and then drain the caverns into the magma layer or something. Then I'll have a bunch of nice safe caves.

Unless the water is draining off the side of the map down there... I really have no idea.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 11:39:35 am by Name Lips »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I think I'm flooding the underworld
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 11:34:20 am »

Caves do lead down into the caverns. If your embark has natural caves you can even use the caves as the entrance to your fort, and build your fortress entirely within the caverns.

Liquids will drain off of the edge of the map, but sometimes creatures can be trapped and drown anyways.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: I think I'm flooding the underworld
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 04:03:13 pm »

The way the caves are built with all their ups and downs I think it'd be hard to drown anything down there. Elk birds in particular I think are fast? so it doesn't make sense that they're drowning when they could just escape.

Click "r" to see if you have any interesting combat reports. It's doubtful that they'd give combat reports for creatures you cannot see but more than once I've had instances of cave creatures fighting and killing eachother. Most recently naked mole dogs eating crundles for breakfast.

If you don't have any combat reports, once you go down there you should click the creatures you find to see if they have scars or such. Creatures that aren't in legends mode start off fresh and won't be wounded unless they get their asses handed to them while you're building.

As a reference; one of my moledogs carried a tiny straight scar and a tiny jagged scar. on his front paw and back leg.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.