Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fort Nostalgia  (Read 1000 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fort Nostalgia
« on: July 20, 2010, 11:44:59 pm »

Now that the new version is up and mostly bug-free, anyone have any of their old forts they're planning to rebuild, if only in name?

I'll be going with my first real (200-population) fort, Kab Ator, "The Name of Perfection". I think it was my third for that got off the ground- like, where I got as far as brewing... made a lot of mistakes, mostly in terms of efficiency (industries too far from storerooms, etc)...

On the other hand, I had a 10 z-level high arena where a captured titan slaughtered the goblin hordes, and my artifact-adamantine-plate-clad legendary speardwarf, "Daisy", tore through a half-dozen spirits of fire by herself, lodged her spear in the last one and proceeded to beat the demon lord to death with her bare hands.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fort Nostalgia
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 03:39:17 pm »

I hope the old magma tubes (natural-looking ones that are different shapes on each level) come back, so that I can do another cast obsidian tower inside a magma tube.
Or just another cast obsidian tower fort.

Terv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 04:01:43 pm »

I have already begun, and am a few years into, a rebuild of an old fortress of mine. Nashonagak Ber, The Bloody Anus Of Earth! I'm making it much more imposing and ready for invasion this time, with outpost buildings, towers and walls.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 04:09:52 pm »

I'm still fairly new to the game, but I've posted my thread about Sandcage the Time-Keeper. For those who don't want to read the huge OP over there: Hourglass megaconstruction with cast obsidian caps in the center of the map, winding aqueduct, honeycomb layout for the underground.

I haven't succeeded in magma pumping, yet to get my dreams done, but meh, I feel like advertising the ideas I've had for a while, though I've spent a lot of time getting a hang of simply getting a fortress to run properly. (For given values of "properly")
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 04:41:20 pm »

Not so much the forts themselves, but I kinda miss the old chasms and underground rivers. Those features were cool, and while not as diverse as the new underground, they had cool sets of critters that came with them. I'd be stoked if the new version would work-in these features in conjunction with the new underground.

Terv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 06:47:24 pm »

I agree with that, merge the old with the new. I mean, anything that adds more possible Fun and critters for my menagerie is welcome.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 07:24:53 pm »

The bottomless pit aspect of the chasm and bottomless pit(harhar) would have to go in favor of a simple pit/canyon that extends down from the surface to some level below, maybe with sedimentary walls to wall it off from the chasms it passes through, unless it's hard-coded to always stop at the first. It could then have the old caves sticking into the walls in various places, where semi-mega and megabeasts could dwell as well as in normal caves.

The underground rivers just plain need to come back. They could be essentially the same, but instead be a surface river that flows into the ground at some point, or start underground in regions with high drainage and rainfall, where there isn't a single water source like in the old, but many dozens or hundreds of 1-tile sources long the length, and continues down into the caverns, until it hits an underground lake/sea. Geysers should also appear where water meets heated rock, spraying the water upward, maybe to the surface.

ugh... an illustration will help my brain, how about you?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also and unmentioned, udg. rivers should be able to continue while IN the caverns.

In a last-ditch effort to save the thread from myself, I'm probably going to remake my first interesting fort, Bloodwines. They were brutally slaughtered at the hands of goblins and my lack of udnerstanding of how to properly defend them (they had walls, though) I'm going to try to redo it all. in the same biome, with a brook in a dense forest, no mountains, and try the same basic concept with some necessary overhauls. The outdoor area will be bigger, have higher walls and have towers, have a gate (I didn't know about drawbridges or floodgates, so i was helpless except for my military) and the fortress itself won't be so cluttered and difficult.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 09:12:24 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.