Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: World Building.  (Read 4993 times)

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: World Building.
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 11:03:37 pm »

Aquanauts
Some time in the universe, Colony ship E179 crashes in the Epithean Ocean.
Most died on impact.
Through very quick work the humans built a sea-station and saved 1000 out of the 10,000 who came.
Later, Aquanaut expeditions into the ocean are made.
Most aquanauts are slaughtered by sea-life due to equipment being lacking. Only lucky ones survive. They are the main defense from hostile sentient sea life.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 11:04:46 pm »

Physics does not act upon everything simultaneously. There are seven "updaters" that travel throughout the universe, progressing each particle one step forwards in time. Without the "updaters," no movement (or passage of time, or light, or anything) would be possible.
Origins of the Updaters.
Before the updaters existed, time only progressed when mass was subjected to high levels of radiation.  As such, Stars are always in motion.  But mass that traveled too far from their parent sun, stopped in space, dead.  Fortunately, one planet remained close enough in its galaxy, to remain in motion, it's thin atmosphere and high levels of surface radiation from uranium deposits allowed a tentative ecosystem to develop.

However, the planets moon would sometimes block the suns rays and a sentient species on the planet took notice of the unusual occurances that happened because of this.  This species advanced to a space ferring civilization based on massive uranium reactors and began mega constructions.  These were the updaters would emit the energy needed to colonize other habital planets throughout the galaxy without the massive uranium requirements.

How do you put something in a building like that when anything in the building freezes instantly?
Instead of placing the object inside the building you place the building overtop of the object?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 11:06:56 pm by Qloos »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 11:07:23 pm »

How do you put something in a building like that when anything in the building freezes instantly?

Give the building five accost the face when ever you want to get something out?

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 06:55:04 am »

You'd have to finish building it around the object or creature you want frozen.

Edit: whoops, Qloos already got that one.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 07:01:00 am by penguify »

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 07:38:22 am »

The problem with these is that you end up with something incredibly detailed in some things, and absolutely no detail in others. Individual people and things are not needed here. I would suggest a general rule that it's not good enough unless it affects a fairly large portion of something, or affects at least a certain amount of a species (like around half of it or something).

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 07:48:50 am »

MOst of the food the inhabitants of the Epithean Ocean eat is washed down from the lush plant life on the Mountain of Gromm
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 08:51:18 am »

Fire Plains of Mountain's Shadow
The fire plains are a long expanse of blasted earth, valleys and deserts just beyond the Mountain of Gromm. It is considered cursed, but said to hold great treasure. There are also numerous, fairly flat shield volcanoes. It is a seismically and volcanically active area.
The Fire Plains of Mountain's Shadow as they are referred to in legend, or simple the fire plains, are both respected and feared for their deadly nature.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 10:53:22 am »

Aquanauts
Some time in the universe, Colony ship E179 crashes in the Epithean Ocean.
Most died on impact.
Through very quick work the humans built a sea-station and saved 1000 out of the 10,000 who came.
Later, Aquanaut expeditions into the ocean are made.
Most aquanauts are slaughtered by sea-life due to equipment being lacking. Only lucky ones survive. They are the main defense from hostile sentient sea life.

Phantom i don't want to interfere in your idea but to survive to stay alive and build a flourishing civilization there need to be at least 3000 alive, elsewise they succumb sooner or later to incest.(but thats only nitpicking from my side...)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 10:58:46 am »

Actually, stable populations can be produced with as little as 400, as has been found with some dangerously endangered (at the time) species.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 11:53:40 am »

The hive
There was once a great civilization that lived under the planet. They were not one race but many that had all been assimilated by the hive and operated via a telepathic connection. They were known to the other races as the hive. They never communicated with any other races and simply proceeded to take over the planets innards. There was once a time when simply digging a few feet could lead to a small village being assimilated by the swarm of creatures. However the telepathic connection weakened when exposed to UV rays, this would turn the hive members above ground into mindless corpses a few days after emerging into the land of the humans. Tired of being unable to expand underground the humans invented a device that would near instantly sever the connection between the hive members withing a radius. As such the hive was pushed back into the deepest depths of the earth, and there they thrived, waiting to amass an army large enough to take over the overland.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 11:56:11 am »

The Magical Nexus

The Magical Nexus is a place that is hidden to most eyes, being a the top of The Mountain of Gromm. It is also where on a silent night a moongate appears

Its a place that seems unatural and one could swear that there are voices in the wind and where if you stay for too long, the whole place seems to reject you as shadows move in and the voices get scary. This makes study hard, as most researchers dissapear if they stay...
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010, 12:05:31 pm »

Around the great underwater city of Pandossus, 10 luminous monoliths illuminate the seas that are dark from the shadow of the mountain.
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 12:33:58 pm »

Actually, stable populations can be produced with as little as 400, as has been found with some dangerously endangered (at the time) species.

Everyone knows all it takes is 20.  :P

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 02:42:38 am »

Everyone knows all it takes is 20.  :P

o/' All you need is love, love, love o/'
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 04:18:19 am »

Kadzarites
Descendants of Kadzar Tathram and his followers, who were outcast by the other colonists due to their strange beliefs, referred to by their former fellow colonists as "biologically unfeasible". They founded a small fishing village called Tathram, where they would be free from persecution.
"They were always saying things like, 'You obviously don't know anything about genetics,' and 'Why you gotta be so weird, dude?' I knew they were simply afraid that I would send my fishman army against them. Once we finally produce a viable crop of offspring, we shall strike. Then they'll regret mocking us." -excerpt from the memoirs of Kadzar Tathram
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 02:18:29 pm by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4