Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: DARKSPORE  (Read 11432 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: DARKSPORE
« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2011, 09:39:26 pm »

I kinda want this game to sell just well enough for another game with this idea to come out and completely miss the point again.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2011, 09:54:51 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
P.P.P.S.
 I had to spoiler this to remind people that this thread is not about the merits of the game Spore.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2011, 11:12:28 pm »

So is it a Diablo clone that lets you make your own character, spore-like, from a pre-determine set of limbs and weapons?
Or is it a Diablo clone that lets you choose from a couple pre-determined set of heros that you can change the appearance of?

Either way I think i'm going to skip this one.

Not because spore was terrible. Actually the six or so hours I played it at a friend's house seemed pretty fun, although the gameplay didn't really seem like it could be stretched over that (which is why I can see why the owners' of the game raged).

No the main reason is...

I just hate Diablo.
Sorry for all you guys that love it to death. I honestly tried to play it and enjoy it, but hell. It has to be the most repetitive time-sink I've played.
Seems like the worst parts of an mmorpg cut out and meant to be enjoyed single player. Kill monsters, find loot, drop old loot, kill monsters, level up, kill monsters. I think it's the lack of progression to anything that turns me off (palette swapped monsters that only serve as a fleshy speed bumps on the quiet road to the next square room).
Anyway enough of that.

Maxis has this thing about god-awful parody, which makes me ask. Is this a fantasy or space world?
The thought of another "whacky" satiric fantasy action role playing game makes me seriously think the gaming industry needs a time-out from recycling cliches for a while.

Of course, this game could surprise me. Maybe one day a game will lead us to the promised land and bring world peace like the overhype always states.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2011, 08:57:36 am »

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2011, 04:26:11 pm »

It's a diablo clone that uses predetermined heroes you can change the appearance (and by extension stats) of.

Unfortunately, my Nvidia 6800's age is showing as I can't run it worth crap (LAGS HEAVILY) even with everything turned down.

I only played the tutorial levels, really...
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2011, 04:59:53 pm »

I can't even get into it.  Downloaded the whole game, get signed up in the beta with the key... only to find that the damned CLosed Beta servers are closed.  Can't sign in, can't start the program.. .Spent more than two hours downloading everything only to find it was all for nothing!  >:( >:( >:( >:(
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2011, 10:30:53 pm »

Alright, well if you want a beta key regardless, get one NOW.

It's down to 140 of what was 400 earlier today.

but apparently, there will be more than one beta.

-.-
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:33:47 pm by eerr »

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2011, 02:59:46 am »

I dled the beta and tried it out. I played for a good fifteen minutes, saw what little the game had to offer and proceeded to uninstall it. Never have I been so absolutely underwhelmed by a game, honestly, I came in completely unbiased even though the lukewarm Spore had hurt my wallet a few years prior. All I can say is, JESUS these people can NOT get the point. Come on, make a procedurally generated dungeon crawler on multiple worlds, let it be multiplayer, let there be loads of loot (borderlands, anyone) and for christ sake, let ME make my creature.

They got it all wrong, again.

Somewhere, somehow, I just know a baby is crying because of this. Maxis used to be good....

Poysky Productions

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2011, 12:02:12 pm »

I downloaded the beta yesterday and promptly spent 4 hours playing it.

I had such low expectations for the game that I found it enjoyable.  I did about 4 missions by myself before me and a friend of mine teamed up and did four more.

There's still a couple of bugs (some of my mons would stop rendering inside the ship, friend had to buy ship upgrades twice before they took effect) but all in all it's a fairly well done Diablo clone.

Spore's "skin painter" has gotten more powerful, it looks like (one of the creatures is a rock elemental with glowing lines of cracks showing his liquid magma interior (which glows and animates), and one of his hands is ON FIRE).  They've also added robot creatures, I've only played with one that looks like an AT-AT, but there's another my friend was looking at that has two "defense item" slots because it doesn't have arms (it's a tank).

There's limited customization; I'd equate it to being tribe or civ level of Spore where the creature is "done" but you can put stuff on it, although you can tweak some of the body decorations (spines, tentacly things, etc) that aren't the creature's arms or legs.  Later on you can strip the stats off items and make them pure decoration, which is cool (friend and I didn't get there last night).

But the game play is more the level of the creature phase, only bigger, better, and with more purpose.  There's a plot, so its more of "an adventure" than "survival" but the feel of the gameplay is similar: you control one creature (at a time, up to 3 are in the squad that you can swap between) and beat stuff up.  Every creature has its own collection of interesting powers ranging from an artillery strike (hero-mon remains stationary and bombards a target area) to a bramble patch (that slows and DOTs enemies) to teleporation to causing Fear.

A mission encompasses anywhere from 2 to 6 individual maps which range from a large area (for boss fights) to long winding levels across asteroid collections or through forests or caves.  Enemies can appear (such as by digging up out of the ground) or visible before you walk up, there are also "oil barrel" items that when damage explode dealing damage to enemies, to "trap" objects that damage your mon until you kill it.

All in all, its not bad.  It is, however, not what people expected out of Spore: huge procedural locations, random monsters, true massive-multiplayer, creature creation, etc. etc.

But it is fun.

Naio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2011, 12:22:14 pm »

so there is a 3 for 4 pack on steam.  buy 3 get a 4th free.

i'm definitely buying this game, does anyone want to do it?  save us all a few bucks.

Pre-Purchase Darkspore 4-Pack
Includes four copies of Darkspore - Send extra copies to your friends.  $149.97

So, it's $37 instead of $50

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2011, 12:31:52 pm »

so there is a 3 for 4 pack on steam.  buy 3 get a 4th free.

i'm definitely buying this game, does anyone want to do it?  save us all a few bucks.

Pre-Purchase Darkspore 4-Pack
Includes four copies of Darkspore - Send extra copies to your friends.  $149.97

So, it's $37 instead of $50

I'd be interested.  Possibly my friend as well.
Edit:
He will not be, and I'm on the fence.

Maps and heroes get repeated in the later game.  At level 30 you get 4 of the same hero model in a row (different abilities, but same figure) and maps get reused wholesale, exactly identical as the last time you were on it.  Which is a huge shame.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:54:14 pm by Draco18s »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2011, 09:10:05 am »

It's launch day on Steam and the game is now quite a bit better than beta. It's a hack and slash rpg(light) in the spirit of Diablo/Borderlands/Spore had a baby. It's a casual dream for me. Looking forward to seeing the handful of you in game.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2011, 11:37:28 am »

I see less Diablo inspiration in it as I do Defense of the Ancients

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2011, 11:49:53 am »

I liked it enough to play the demo for an hour, but it just felt like an overhyped Diablo clone with a few interesting gameplay dynamics thrown in (hero switching, customization).

I'll wait til D3 comes out, thanks.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2011, 12:01:03 pm »

It's not worth £30.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10