Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: DARKSPORE  (Read 11446 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DARKSPORE
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 10:20:12 pm »

I dunno, I'm getting more of a Diablo/DoTA feel myself. They did say "action rpg", whatever they mean by that.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 10:39:50 pm »

Yeah, I'm thinking this'll be Spiorblo.  It could be cool.
Shoes...

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 10:41:28 pm »

I'm not even comming close to getting my hopes up.
sorry.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 10:46:12 pm »

What I'm afraid of it being is "DARK" in terms understood by the guys that Will Wright and Ocean Quiggly had to smack down from putting sneakers on the Spore creatures.  I.E., it'll be dark on the level of a Disney villain-song.

What if it's the villain from Pocahontas or Hunchback?

Because then we get rampant racism or sexually charged emotional masturbation.

Anyway, this is looking... sort of promising. Maxis games were fun all those years ago. "Darkspore" is a really shitty name, though.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 10:49:59 pm »

Hellfire is a pretty awesome song for a Disney movie.

Hexxus.  Was Ferngully a disney movie?  Hexxus was badass.
Shoes...

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 10:51:59 pm »

I dunno, I'm getting more of a Diablo/DoTA feel myself. They did say "action rpg", whatever they mean by that.
While Action RPG as a genre is pretty broad, Diablo-like (let's not have a debate over the actual origin of the Diablo-like, please) is a sub-genre, which is what it looks like; that or DotA-like, which I believe would also count as Action RPG.

Yeah, I'm thinking this'll be Spiorblo.  It could be cool.
Could be. But the main thing about Spore (the Spore Creature Creator) appears to be gone:

Collect an arsenal of living weapons - genetic heroes with different combat abilities - and upgrade them with tens of thousands of collectible body parts and armor.
Notice how it says "collect and upgrade them" and not "create." Also, from the same page (the Overview):

Make your heroes truly unique and deeply customized in an enhanced version of the award-winning Spore Creature Editor.
"Editor" not "Creator." They really chose their words carefully it seems. They're really trying to avoid promising a game that they won't deliver this time around.  ;)

[PPE:] Ferngully was not Disney, but it's close enough.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 10:52:44 pm »

Hellfire is a pretty awesome song for a Disney movie.

Hexxus.  Was Ferngully a disney movie?  Hexxus was badass.

Pretty sure Ferngully is Don Bluth. And Hexxus should've been called "Sexxus", according to one of my friends. Who has had a crush on that smog blob since childhood.
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 11:02:52 pm »

I'm calling this one a flop right now. I can't wait to see the train wreck that will be Darkspore.

This is already looking like one for the "not even worth torrenting" pile.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 11:32:05 pm »

Behold... All the penis monsters attacking you!

Vigilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 11:37:02 pm »

Uh. guys? Page two and why hasn't anyone mentioned that the teaser is like, exactly what the Starcraft II original teaser was like? I mean wth?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 11:40:12 pm »

It's not like the whole "Robot arms put your armor on sequence" thing hasn't been done a million times before.  I did notice some resemblance though.
Shoes...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010, 12:25:06 am »

IMHO it is a flawed concept.

They make what? "A game with a cool creature editor". That's the point. "Let's upgrade our creature editor, slap something on top of that and sell as a new game".

Where are the days when the games started like "let's make an unique world and setting and base a game upon that", not "let's re-use something and make a new game on top of that"?

If they gave us some cool concepts and tips to an epic storyline or design features, I would be more optimistic. Right now I see a "serious creature editor" how it should've been in original spore. Oh well, let's wait and see.

Also I am not very positive about "tons of DLC". It looks like they are really lazy to make a full, "complete" game. They would rather sell us a "lego" style game, working on it after they sell it. Not that it's too bad, but it becomes a major trend.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 12:31:41 am »

Also I am not very positive about "tons of DLC". It looks like they are really lazy to make a full, "complete" game. They would rather sell us a "lego" style game, working on it after they sell it. Not that it's too bad, but it becomes a major trend.
Nope. They just want the money.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2010, 12:36:33 am »

"How can we milk this crap we have made even more?"

"Hmm..."

"Oh, I know it! Get this... We use the creature creator to make... creatures!  And then the player has to fight them! Cause they're monsters, see?!"

"Wow, that sounds like something shitheats, I mean customers would buy!"

"Yeah, it does!"

"We shall call it, *holds hands up* Dark... Spore!"

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 01:46:23 am »

It's like Spore, but Dark!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10