Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: DARKSPORE  (Read 11431 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DARKSPORE
« on: July 20, 2010, 07:45:56 pm »

Ea and Maxis are delivering a "new" action rpg feb 2011 called Darkspore. Emphasis on Spore I would imagine.

www.darkspore.com
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: DARKSPORE
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 07:51:33 pm »

Whoa whoa whoa, is that a grimdark RPG using the Spore Creature Creator?

I am cautiously optimistic, and I'm getting that in before the 'TIS GAME WIL SUCK' crowd moves in.
Shoes...

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 08:05:39 pm »

At very least we're getting an enhanced creature editor, the editor was the best part of the original by far

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 08:07:10 pm »

And maybe we'll be able to make serious looking creatures this time.

Whoa whoa whoa

What if you can import your serious creatures into regular Spore?  That will make it like 10 or 20 percent less bad.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 08:07:39 pm »

If there's an actual game of merit behind all the gee-whiz of tech, it might be good.

I expect a lot from them up front after Spore though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 08:43:38 pm »

If they don't pull the rug from under our feet this time like they did with spore, It should be grand.

Still very skeptic untill I get to see actualy gameplay though.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 08:49:12 pm »

What I'm afraid of it being is "DARK" in terms understood by the guys that Will Wright and Ocean Quiggly had to smack down from putting sneakers on the Spore creatures.  I.E., it'll be dark on the level of a Disney villain-song.

I'm waiting to see it though.  An RPG relying on body-customization has a ring going for it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 08:52:35 pm »

Quote from: Learn More page
Make your heroes truly unique and deeply customized in an enhanced version of the award-winning Spore Creature Editor.

Sounds decent at least. We shall see. I'm not getting my hopes up after what Spore did, though. Only part of Spore I used after playing through the entire collection of minigames once was the Creature Creator. Hopefully that's the only thing this brings back.

I do hope they don't make the story too much of a focus of the game. It sounds terrible and generic.

I also hope they don't try and make people buy parts for the new creature creator like they did with the original, and instead just release new parts in patches. But I already know that hope is futile.

[PPE:] Just realized Overview was not the only part of the Learn More section. Going to Planets, and clicking on the only one viewable, I see that in that planet's page, they have "gameplay" listed. ANOTHER COLLECTION OF MINIGAMES AHOY! Why else would each planet have Gameplay listed? If it's not minigames then it's static missions (it's already apparently static planets) which would mean the story does play a large role.

Going to the "Editor" page, I see that there are "Levels" for the Creatures. I can't decide how I feel about this without more information on what increasing in levels entails. For each level, it just shows different parts on the creature and higher stats.

Also, the "Living Weapons" page. The skills (or whatever those are) listed there seem to me like this will be akin to DotA, or some other Hero-based game. A DotA clone where you make your own Heroes doesn't sound too bad, though.

Perhaps EA/Maxis is trying to actually avoid getting people's hopes up too high for the game by announcing it less than a year before it's supposed to release, which would mean they learned at least a partial lesson from the backlash to Spore.

Meh. Sword of the Stars 2 will probably get my money before this if I can't afford both, as they're meant to release at about the same time.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 08:57:25 pm »

What I'm afraid of it being is "DARK" in terms understood by the guys that Will Wright and Ocean Quiggly had to smack down from putting sneakers on the Spore creatures.  I.E., it'll be dark on the level of a Disney villain-song.

I'm waiting to see it though.  An RPG relying on body-customization has a ring going for it.

I hear you, agree with both points. I don't expect this to be warhammer or lovecraftian dark, but hey, maybe overlord dark.
The idea sounds nice too, I'm just skeptic because, eh, its EA, I woundn't be surprised if they chopped it up and sold it bit by bit to players. Expect loads and loads of DLC.

Overall it seems that while related to spore, it looks like an entirely different game except for the customization. The fact it was mentioned you'll be able to export darkspore creatures into spore main say otherwise, though.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Zai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 09:01:31 pm »

The fact it was mentioned you'll be able to export darkspore creatures into spore main say otherwise, though.
That was just Cthulhu's speculation.

Wasn't it?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 09:02:56 pm »

Tsh, I took it seriously :C
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 09:07:15 pm »

A couple things: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/1264108.page That's a link to some interviews and stuff. Also, apparently there's an FAQ that says no transfer between Spore and Darkspore. I'll try and find the FAQ.

Edit: oh I should have actually looked before I posted, it's right in front of me: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/1261092.page
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 09:11:13 pm »

Once the gentle planet Nakto, Zelem's Nexus is a freakish array of orbiting islands held together by Crogenitor technology.

The Crogenitor Zelem gave birth to his Nexus by opening a dimensional portal at the core of planet Nakto, shattering it. Zelem spent the rest of his life operating his gravity tethers to keep the islands from crashing into each other, or the orbital centre.

When the Darkspore conquered the Nexus, they perfected Zelem's gravity-wheel, stabilizing the Nexus as a staging area for galactic conquest.

Their plan succeeded.

The Crogenitor Insurgency must retake the Nexus to recover Zelem's advanced technology. If purged of Darkspore control, Zelem's Nexus could become the first monumental step... towards freeing the galaxy.

I just became slightly less optimistic
Shoes...

Zai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 09:19:20 pm »

A couple things: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/1264108.page That's a link to some interviews and stuff. Also, apparently there's an FAQ that says no transfer between Spore and Darkspore. I'll try and find the FAQ.

Edit: oh I should have actually looked before I posted, it's right in front of me: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/1261092.page
Thanks for the links.

From the Kotaku link from Bluerobin's link:

The game is due to hit multiple platforms in the spring of next year, with downloadable add-ons already planned.
1) Downloadable add-ons already planned. Remember what I said a few posts back about knowing already that one of my hopes was futile? Yeah, I just got confirmation.
2) Multiple platforms. Whether this means all PC (different versions of Windows could count as multiple platforms) or something like what happened with Spore (not good), I don't know, but that interview only said PC or Windows.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 09:22:52 pm »

The screenies and background snippets make it look like an RTS, which was my least favorite part of spore.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10