Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DragonCon dwarf invasion?  (Read 1614 times)

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
DragonCon dwarf invasion?
« on: July 20, 2010, 07:39:45 pm »

Evening, y'all. I was wondering if anyone else remotely near Atlanta, GA was planning on heading to DragonCon this year. A few friends of mine will be dragging me along, and we've been discussing costume ideas.

Would anyone else consider maybe coming in DF garb? It'd be a simple costume to make: a simple profession-colored outfit, a hat with a dwarf face (or another other race's tile, ye foolish elves), maybe a prop or two, and a properly dwarfy beard. Bonus points for pig tail fiber socks. Extra bonus points for some interpretation of magma. Super duper bonus points for actual magma!

We could harass burninate pal around with the assortment of elves, stage an epic battle to the death with a wandering goblin or two, and perhaps cave large portions of Atlanta into the magma sea imbibe boozahol as only dwarves can arrange for some (f/F)un after the festivities.

If nothing else, it might be a fun way to identify fellow DF players who can't come up with a better costume.  :D
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
Re: DragonCon dwarf invasion?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 08:45:07 pm »

If only I lived there.

You forgot the bonus super bonus points for storing some booze in that magma.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 08:57:35 pm »

Make a real community fort. Everyone has a say in it. Oh the Fun.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 09:39:15 pm »

I'm envisioning 20+ DF geeks standing around an LCD monitor making decisions about fort layout, production orders, etc. We would have to elect one person as mayor at the keyboard (elections every game year?), someone to make decisions in each area of fort design (an armory dwarf/general, a civil planner, a manager, hoardmaster, etc.)...  It's a horrible idea. An atrocious idea.

... we must do it.
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 10:39:23 pm »

I'm envisioning 20+ DF geeks standing around an LCD monitor making decisions about fort layout, production orders, etc. We would have to elect one person as mayor at the keyboard (elections every game year?), someone to make decisions in each area of fort design (an armory dwarf/general, a civil planner, a manager, hoardmaster, etc.)...  It's a horrible idea. An atrocious idea.

... we must do it.

Council Fort. It can be done on a forum, at least, until the specifics get narrowed down.

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 10:47:24 pm »

... we must do it.

Council Fort. It can be done on a forum, at least, until the specifics get narrowed down.

Ah, but we must have the ability to shout meaninglessly at one another all at once!

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 03:17:36 am »

There is only one solution

Uristcon
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 04:01:27 pm »

Sorry, but after this fiasco I'm not sure DragonCon is a terribly good idea.
Cool. Someone else read LFG.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 06:27:54 pm »

I know the LFG incident got a lot of people fired up, but it's not beyond understanding. The people that organize the event have a lot on their plate, up to and including celebrities and visitor safety concerns. Even the people on the bottom of the totem pole are run ragged keeping things together from two days prior to the doors opening until long after they close. (I've known someone who's done it; the work load is absurd at the best of times.)

It's not unforgivable that the attendants were less than helpful; most of them would have been on a short fuse to begin. It also says something that a board member came down to personally apologize and set things right.

What likely lead to not being invited back was calling and leaving messages three times per week for six weeks. Now, I admire and respect the LFG staff, don't get me wrong; but, for any office handling that volume of planning and organization, that would have given them a bad taste for whomever was calling. It may have been too harsh in our eyes, but for someone in that position, breaking relations with the responsible party would have seemed the simplest and most effective course of action.

I'm not saying that what happened to LFG wasn't unjust, but please understand: They were one client among many, many others. These sort of things are going to happen. It's not right to hold a grudge against the organizers and patrons of DragonCon because of one unfortunate incident.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 06:31:35 pm by Tenth Speed Writer »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 07:38:00 pm »

I live near there, but have no plans of going.
Nice to know someone else lives down here though.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 09:52:55 pm »

I have a few DF buddies, and I've often wondered how much fun it would be to play DF in an auditorium, with a dozen or so people all voting on how to make the fort.  Would all those heads make the best for ever, or would it immediately explode due to mismanagement and conflicting goals?  What if we set up a livestream where one guy would run the fort and everyone would get in the chat and make suggestions about how to do it?
I brake for stumble bumblings

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 11:11:10 pm »

No. Oh God no. DF is simply too much of a grid. Once you got past the initial embark screens, it'd be a matter of "No, don't dig there! Dig over there! No, not THERE, there!" "Where, here?" "Yes, there- no, not there, over to the other side! Yes! There! Wait, no, that's- no, where are you going?!"
Nevermind where the dwarves would dig, people would be tied up just deciding what to actually do first. Some want to set stockpiles for their supplies, some want to make like Paul Bunyan, and some want to make friends with the local Giant Eagle.