Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 66

Author Topic: Fight to the Death: [ROUND SIX: TEX VS DR.CLEF]  (Read 57582 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the Death: [ROUND SIX: TEX VS DR.CLEF]
« Reply #855 on: August 31, 2010, 03:40:19 pm »

ed boy, Steampunk technology is a few bits ahead of what we have now, correct? Well, the technology of Halo and RvB is leaps and bounds beyond that. Just because it is a bullet does not mean Terra resists it. You're not taking into account the force of impact, which could easily shatter bones, or Rocket Launchers with the ability to kill Spartans as heavily armored as Tex just by hitting within a couple meters of them.

And you're really underestimating her stealth here, too. Unless Terra has the ability to literally set the entire battlefield ablaze at once (and I call BULLSHIT if she can) the only way she'd be able to spot Tex is by the slightly flickering outline. Halo's Active Camoflage technology has been shown to resist attempts at being removed, only revealing the target when their shields activate or when they begin to fire their weapon. No magic spell's going to change that, it all comes down to how good Terra is at spotting a target that is

A) Invisible
B) Trained to be invisible even without the camo
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: August 31, 2010, 05:21:52 pm »

Round 1: Terra casts Trance, Tex casts invisibility.
Round 2: Terra casts dispel, Tex casts invisibility.
Round 3: Terra searches the battlefield, Tex casts invisibility.
Round 4, Terra casts dispel, Tex casts invisibility...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: August 31, 2010, 05:27:57 pm »

Stealthy, you mean. Overstating someone's capabilities does not help anyone.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: August 31, 2010, 05:52:53 pm »

If Terra can become completely immaterial, can Tex do the same thing? Terra is clearly susceptible to mental control, all Tex has to do it do her ghost thing and possess Terra. If I have the lore right, Tex as a ghost can only possess people with power armour in her own universe. But what the cross-universal implications of a data construct integrating with an energy being are is somewhat of a valid curiosity...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: August 31, 2010, 05:55:28 pm »

Shit man, you know fully well what I meant. Stop making such a big deal over the technicalities and get to the actual points before I start to think you're avoiding the argument.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: August 31, 2010, 06:01:23 pm »

Shit man, you know fully well what I meant. Stop making such a big deal over the technicalities and get to the actual points before I start to think you're avoiding the argument.

The technicalities are all of it. Unless we're not treating this as a formal debate. At any rate, RAM and Dragnar have got the points covered already, so you basically should start attacking those points.

Be clear in your language and leave no ambiguities. Also, make sure to attack the ambiguities in your opponent's arguments. Basic technique, boy.

EDIT:

In that vein, hey ed boy, I'll judge the next one, since you nominated Ajax.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 06:05:13 pm by Josephus »
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: August 31, 2010, 06:09:57 pm »

All right then. A few things: Tex has been in watery and snow-covered environments. Her suit is fully waterproof; considering it's, you know, highly advanced combat armor that's one of the first things they'd sort out. Even then, I feel that the term invisible is used well here. Each Freelancer operative has a special piece of equipment. Tex is the active camo. While she is by no means weaker than the other Freelancers (she's proven time and again to be even MORE competent, except potentially Wash) she is the designated stealthy one. She once took out half the Red team in about 5 seconds, and has only improved since then.

The problem here is that you're treating Tex's technology like magic. You say that some creatures in FFVI are naturally invisible, but wouldn't it make more sense that in a magic world some creatures are inherently magic? They'd just be able to tap into their natural powers to become invisible. Until you show me a definitely tech-based foe that can be decloaked with a magic spell, I refuse to accept that point.

And RAM has a good point. A very good one. Tex has been shown to interact with people's very minds; don't forget that when Caboose's mental image of Church(or Tucker?) is killed, Caboose loses all memory of him. This shows that Tex's "ghost" form is fully capable of Mind-Fucking you.

Also, I noticed a glaring flaw in RAM's play by play of the match. Allow me to fix it.

Round 1: Terra casts Trance, Tex casts invisibility.
Round 2: Terra casts dispel, Tex casts invisibility.
Round 3: Terra searches the battlefield, Tex headshots Terra from across the map, killing her.
Round 4, Not Applicable, Tex has already won.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: August 31, 2010, 06:25:42 pm »

WINNER: Tex

It's the start of round three, and since one of the competitors is Ajax, it'll be Josephus who judges this fight.

NEXT ROUND: Ajax the Great (Greek myth) VS Colonel Roy Mustang

Guts
                   +----+
Ajax --------------+    |
                        +----+
Sollux Captor           |    |
                   +----+    |
Snikrot         
                             +----+
Roy Mustang -------+         |    |
                   +----+    |    |
Problem Sleuth          |    |    |
                        +----+    |
Isaac                   |         |
                   +----+         |
Jonathan Gabriel                  |
                                  +--Winner
Don Kanonji                       |
                   +----+         |
Sam Vimes               |         |
                        +----+    |
Luke Skywalker ----+    |    |    |
                   +----+    |    |
Canis Wolfborn               |    |
                             +----+
Terra Branford               |
                   +----+    |
Gilgamesh               |    |
                        +----+
Tex ---------------+    |
                   +----+
Dr. Clef

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: August 31, 2010, 06:30:22 pm »

Aww... oh well. Though I would still argue that Terra's a bit more damage resistant than you're all giving her credit for. She did take on 100 magitech soldiers with ease.

Roy. Ajax is strong, but a shield isn't really all that effective against explosions. Especially ones that could easily be aimed behind it.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: August 31, 2010, 06:34:45 pm »

Now Josephus, we've had our differences, so I hope you won't hold me being... well, me, against Mustang. I seriously think he has this one in the bag.

Let's start off with Ajax's shield. It's made mostly of cow-hide. Leather that could be easily burned away by Mustang. Bronze is much tougher, but I think it could be heated to the point that if it didn't melt, Ajax would have to shed it just to keep his arm intact. So it then comes down mainly to Ajax's agility, which is a bit of a moot point as he doesn't appear to be much quicker than Lust or Gluttony, both of which were hit fairly easily. Mustang is shown to be incredibly accurate, in the assault on Central being able to fight alongside his squad and take out an entire platoon of enemies, not only with no casualties, but NO DEAD ENEMIES. They were all incapacitated, but not killed. That shows the kind of ability Mustang and his troops have.

Also, considering the fact he stabs himself to death, we know that Ajax was not superhumanly invulnerable. He was just stupidly skilled. Another thing that must be considered is the lack of his brother, who normally acted as the sword to Ajax's shield (or arrow, as the case may be). Without him, Ajax has to focus more on defensive tactics, which are quite useless against Mustang's rather relentless assaults.

I will admit that Ajax has melee combat squarely in his favor, but Mustang has proven that he can keep enemies away long enough to kill them.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: August 31, 2010, 08:04:15 pm »

How accurate are those boulders and how quick is Mustang on his feet? Oh, I know! Ajax throws a boulder, Roy incinerates Ajax just as the boulder squashes him and they both lose!
Read the First Post!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: August 31, 2010, 08:17:08 pm »

Mustang would win this.

I mean, both of 'em are mortal men, and Mustang has the advantage (ranged attacks that are pretty much OHKO.)
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: August 31, 2010, 08:48:10 pm »

So it then comes down mainly to Ajax's agility, which is a bit of a moot point as he doesn't appear to be much quicker than Lust or Gluttony, both of which were hit fairly easily.
Were either of these faster than Guts? Because I remember Guts being described as incredibly fast, and it was decided that Ajax could keep up with him.

we know that Ajax was not superhumanly invulnerable.
Actually, this is untrue. If you check the 'Death of Ajax' section here, it will tell you that Ajax had to jump on his sword so that it entered his armpit, his only vulnerable part. Also, here, you will find that a well-made bronze Xothos actually bent, instead of entered Ajax's skin. Bronze might not be as strong as steel, but it's still pretty impressive to bend a bronze rod against your abdomen.

Let's start off with Ajax's shield. It's made mostly of cow-hide. Leather that could be easily burned away by Mustang. Bronze is much tougher, but I think it could be heated to the point that if it didn't melt, Ajax would have to shed it just to keep his arm intact.
Cow hide is actually harder to burn than you'd think. According to Lord Shonus, it ignites at 212*F when dry. When wet, as was the practice of Greek soldiers (They had a whole ocean to do this in) it becomes very difficult to light a seven-cowhide-thick wet piece of skin on fire. (In fact, a wet cow hide has an ignition point of 2120*F) Wetting a leather shield increases the tensile strength of a shield as well as increasing its resistance to the pitch-covered arrows of their enemies. It does make it heavier, but that's not much of an obstacle for Ajax. According to the explanation of the Apollo disaster, a pure oxygen fire reaches around 1850*F, a temperature that may evaporate some water, but not ignite the leather. Because Roy's alchemy is instantaneous, Ajax could keep diving underwater to soak it more. Roy can't harm Ajax underwater because of the large amount of moisture, according to this.

Asides from this, Ajax could merely play it defensively until he gets within range of Roy, by scrunching his arms up to hide his pits. Ajax would likely last longer endurance-wise, so he could just stand on the beach, somewhat submerged in water to keep wet. Ajax has held his breath (pushing a ship ashore) for hours at a time, so he could wait until Roy was exhausted. Ajax also is more agile than the average man, with the ability to leap between ships with a single bound and punt Trojans with a 20 foot pole while doing so.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: August 31, 2010, 09:04:04 pm »

Nice points, but at the end of it you're waiting for Roy to get tired from snapping his fingers. That's not going to happen. Alchemy is not like magic, it doesn't sap the user of physical strength. The Alchemist is a catalyst rather than a driving force.

As for your question about Lust, she is known as the "Ultimate Lance" and is capable of moving very quickly, and extending her powerful "fingers" up to an impressive length. She (even though she was able to survive multiple lethal blows) still ran out of lives to use as regeneration before crossing a span of maybe 30, 40 feet to reach Roy. Granted, she came within an inch of a lethal blow, but the feat is no less impressive.

And as for the water, up until now I don't think we've ever had any body of water on this neutral battlefield. I suppose it could rain at some point, but that wouldn't give the desired effect. Even if there was water, there certainly wouldn't be enough for Ajax to submerge in and repeatedly use to wet his shield. Therefore, even if the cow hide cannot ignite there is still the matter of incredible heat to think about that would burn Ajax's skin. Ajax is very resistant, yes, but I think invulnerable is the quality he'd need to sustain a constant blazing fire actively trying to kill him, and that certainly isn't allowed in this contest.

Also, WTF, I didn't realize the guy was a freaking descendant from a god. Ajax's supporters seriously downplayed that earlier in the contest, instead going for the "regular guy with awesome skills" approach. Good show, I have to say. I am not fazed, however. Demi-gods have been shown to die in Greek Mythology, especially when it seems most jarring. This is a pretty jarring moment for a hero to die, don't you think? Cue Mustang  :P

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: August 31, 2010, 09:30:57 pm »

I remember seeing a picture of a tropical island posted by Ed Boy for Tex vs. Terra. That would certainly have enough in itself.

Nice points, but at the end of it you're waiting for Roy to get tired from snapping his fingers. That's not going to happen. Alchemy is not like magic, it doesn't sap the user of physical strength. The Alchemist is a catalyst rather than a driving force.
No, Ajax would be waiting until Roy got tired of being awake. Ajax has wrestled for three days straight before, (Against Odysseus, no less.) and that takes quite a bit more energy than snapping.

Back before the Trojan War, Ajax was the King of Salamis, a pretty awesome city with no connection to the meat-tubes. Upon this city, Apollo once cast a plague to punish the people for the desecration of his temple at Delphi, where Ajax slew the priestess who told him that he would die a coward's death. Many of Ajax's folk died, and Apollo dried the lands around Salamis before lighting the (previously) productive olive orchards ablaze. Almost single handedly, Ajax dug a trench to the Votsalakia, a nearby inlet to the sea. He worked tirelessly to save his people, not even stopping when the fires rushed towards him. Later, Ajax would completely ignore Apollo's fires that were set to prevent him from looting the temple at Paphlagonia. He literally walked through the halls of the burning temple, grabbed some loot, and walked out unharmed. Fire is just something that big damn heroes care little about.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 66