Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 66

Author Topic: Fight to the Death: [ROUND SIX: TEX VS DR.CLEF]  (Read 57629 times)

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the Death: [ROUND SIX: TEX VS DR.CLEF]
« Reply #780 on: August 24, 2010, 06:16:09 pm »

Is this Roy Mustang...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If so, it just went from "Mustang Wins" to "This was a contest? I thought we were just here to admire this smoking crater"
What, the one who can't even control his own power anymore?
No, that would be stupid. And besides, then Isaac should get the Golden Sun for the fight. There wouldn't even be a fight. With that thing Issac IS alchemy. If he doesn't want it to work, it won't work.

Now now, it would devolve into a non-Alchemy based fight that way. Or Isaac would go all Wise One and just make Mustang explode.

But he clearly doesn't have the Golden Sun.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: August 24, 2010, 06:18:43 pm »

Is this Roy Mustang...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If so, it just went from "Mustang Wins" to "This was a contest? I thought we were just here to admire this smoking crater"
What, the one who can't even control his own power anymore?
No, that would be stupid. And besides, then Isaac should get the Golden Sun for the fight. There wouldn't even be a fight. With that thing Issac IS alchemy. If he doesn't want it to work, it won't work.
He is that game's alchemy, but I'm fairly certain that many lengths were gone to to ensure that alchemy in FMA's world couldn't be "turned off" at the drop of a hat. And why is Roy being able to actually use regular alchemy so much a game breaker in your eyes? Just curious.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: August 24, 2010, 06:20:25 pm »

It's like this. Imagine a universe where all the main characters are Superman.

It doesn't matter if that's a staple feature of the verse, they're still all fucking Superman. Bring them anywhere else, they're overpowered.
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: August 24, 2010, 06:24:33 pm »

He is that game's alchemy, but I'm fairly certain that many lengths were gone to to ensure that alchemy in FMA's world couldn't be "turned off" at the drop of a hat. And why is Roy being able to actually use regular alchemy so much a game breaker in your eyes? Just curious.
It's not "the drop of a hat", it's "I'm God now, haha." The laws of physics themselves are nothing next to the Golden Sun. And as for why it would be a game breaker... I don't know. I still haven't seen the whole series, so I don't know what you're talking about. All I'm going off of is this:

It doesn't matter if that's a staple feature of the verse, they're still all fucking Superman. Bring them anywhere else, they're overpowered.
Niether of these characters are like that. RPG mechanics can make any character look unstoppable, and if you mean Roy, well his world is pretty similar to Issac's. The main difference being alchemy is rarer.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 24, 2010, 06:29:44 pm »

And this does NOT apply to Isaac... why?

As for you dragnar, Roy's thing that I suggested would give him control over fire like he had, but also the ability to use alchemy in the way that Ed and Al do.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 24, 2010, 06:31:42 pm »

Is that an admission that Isaac is in fact likely to beat Roy in a fight?

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: August 24, 2010, 06:33:22 pm »

No, it's an admission that by all the crazy stuff you're attributing to him and the people he fights, he has no right to be in this contest. Especially considering the controversy surrounding Roy making fire.

EDIT: Even so, he beat Problem Sleuth with his crazy power-ups, he can beat Isaac.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 24, 2010, 06:36:22 pm »

No, it's an admission that by all the crazy stuff you're attributing to him and the people he fights, he has no right to be in this contest. Especially considering the controversy surrounding Roy making fire.

The "controversy" surrounds your "arguments" that consist of "Roy snaps his fingers, the fight is over."

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: August 24, 2010, 06:40:06 pm »

The "controversy" surrounds your "arguments" that consist of "Roy snaps his fingers, the fight is over."

He has a fast reaction time, and his weaponry is fire. Seriously, there aren't many ways to interpret how that fight would go. I'm curious, however, why you would think that Isaac can beat Roy, but not Gabe.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: August 24, 2010, 06:41:49 pm »

He has a fast reaction time, and his weaponry is fire. Seriously, there aren't many ways to interpret how that fight would go. I'm curious, however, why you would think that Isaac can beat Roy, but not Gabe.

I actually concede the Gabe fight. I just had to argue for him because he was my nomination.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: August 24, 2010, 06:44:48 pm »

Because Issac isn't as powerful as he's making him sound. Mechanics mean nothing, the worst monster Issac has killed is an old, probably half-broken suit of armor. And he had a team of 8 to fight that thing.

Not really. The explosions aren't instantaneous, and they can be dodged. But an ordinary human isn't gonna be able to take more than one or two hits before he goes down. I'd say Issac could take a few more hits than that(he's implied to have some sort of magic field that helps block attacks, putting him a bit above most people) but eventually he will go down. Not to mention psynergy requires hand gestures and chanting and such, leaving a small opening whenever he casts a spell.

This is about as close as it could get. Two elemental masters, with equal power(or close at least) and equal damage resistance(mainly because Issac actually wears armor). The deciding factor will be skill, and Roy wins in that category hands down.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: August 24, 2010, 06:46:50 pm »

If you want to see Roy in action, but don't mind MAJOR OMFG SPOILERS, Watch this

EDIT: ESPECIALLY Part 3, it shows that Mustang doesn't hesitate for anything.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: August 24, 2010, 06:47:55 pm »

Because Issac isn't as powerful as he's making him sound. Mechanics mean nothing, the worst monster Issac has killed is an old, probably half-broken suit of armor. And he had a team of 8 to fight that thing.

Man you know Dullahan was a scary bastard. Mechanics aside, it's been accepted ever since DnD first ed that HP's are an abstraction representing your health, ability to avoid attacks, and so on, so forth. It's essentially a measure of how long someone would last in a fight where people are slinging around those kind of powers, not necessarily a direct measure of how much damage they can take.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: August 24, 2010, 06:50:48 pm »

Yeah, which is why Dullahan had so many. Lets see you bash apart a living suit of magic armor with medieval weaponry and spires of rock. He was tough, yeah, but I really don't think either of these contestants could beat it alone so it doesn't matter.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: August 24, 2010, 06:51:14 pm »

Man you know Dullahan was a scary bastard. Mechanics aside, it's been accepted ever since DnD first ed that HP's are an abstraction representing your health, ability to avoid attacks, and so on, so forth. It's essentially a measure of how long someone would last in a fight where people are slinging around those kind of powers, not necessarily a direct measure of how much damage they can take.

A scary bastard that still took 8 guys. Isaac is sounding less like a badass and more like a propped-up, bloating corpse.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 66