Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 66

Author Topic: Fight to the Death: [ROUND SIX: TEX VS DR.CLEF]  (Read 57684 times)

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the Death: [ROUND SIX: TEX VS DR.CLEF]
« Reply #675 on: August 20, 2010, 03:41:24 pm »

Ahem. Cloaking device. Backstab. End.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 20, 2010, 04:25:09 pm »

Sniktrot has this one in the bag, sadly. Ajax doesn't have the weapons to even pierce the skin, even then only with a terribly lucky blow. And not lucky enough to his vital area like a hamstring or eye. Sniktrot, on the other hand, just needs one good slice to end this fight permanently.
Are Orcs made of stone? Skin is skin, and an incredibly strong fellow like Ajax could just pummel Snikrot until his bones broke inside the skin.

Ahem. Cloaking device. Backstab. End.
That might be a mite more difficult than you'd think. Ajax once brutally wounded a goddess who was sneaking his opponent out of harm's way, without even seeing her. Considering the descriptors about how the gods are 'silent and fleet-footed' when they move, I assume Ajax has heatvision or echolocation and could therefore see Snikrot

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 20, 2010, 04:46:31 pm »

The lexicanum site is down, so my research is not as complete as it could be, especially on the equipment front, but here goes.

Orks are tough. As in, a gun which cuts humans in half warms them slightly. It takes rapidfire RPGs, molecular shuriken, swarms of ultra strong scythe bugs, or ANTI ARMOR WEAPONRY just to kill them.

You got to remember that Snikrot can take down Space Marines, who are the greatest warriors of the Imperium. And Snikrot would probably survive a spear lodged in his chest, I doubt Ajax could survive a stikkbomb.

Snikrot. He's bigger and stronger(maybe? bigger at least) than Ajax, and Ajax's weapons would probably just get stuck in him ineffectually.

If Ajax hits you, you're going to feel it a lot more than any other person. Ajax chucks around boulders and can fight several people at a time without sustaining injury. Furthermore, the ability of the Orks to fight on despite injury stems from the Waagh, which is a psychic field generated by the presence of other Orks. Since Snikrot is fighting without assistance from other Orks, this would mean no Waagh.

a spear is almost completely useless against an ork, as they don't feel pain, and have skin comparable to armor. And they wear armor made from the skin of Squigs, which are nonsentient cousins of orkkind and thus have similarly tough skin.

Ajax has no viable way of doing any real damage.

Ajax doesn't have the weapons to even pierce the skin, even then only with a terribly lucky blow.

I'm afraid I haven't been able to find reference to Orks having skin like armor. I'm going to have to ask you to back that up with a link.

Heck, snikrot can probably heal faster than mere swords can hurt him.

From my reseach, the Orks do have more effective healing than humans, but nothing like that. The example that I found was that a dismembered limb could be rejoined with the Ork if they were held is statis for a while, but nothing that would be any use in a battle. It could be accelerated somewhat by the presence of the Waagh (if it were present, which it is not here), but even if it were, it would still act too slowly to be any use.

You don't usually use swords for stabbing, you use them for slashing.
You use different swords for different things. Indeed, one of the strengths of the Roman army was that most of the soldiers were equipped with Gladiuses, which could be used for both slashing and stabbing.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: August 20, 2010, 05:13:15 pm »

Ork's toughness have nothing to do with the Waaagh! field, Orks are just naturally tough.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: August 20, 2010, 05:20:03 pm »

the Xophos swords used at the time were for both thrusting and slashing.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 20, 2010, 05:49:01 pm »

Hm. Keep on going, I'll make the decision in a few hours.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: August 20, 2010, 05:51:44 pm »

You might want to wait longer than that - some people can only get on once a day or once every couple of days - if you make a decision too soon, you can miss out on the points that they can contribute to the matter.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: August 20, 2010, 05:52:45 pm »

Ork's toughness have nothing to do with the Waaagh! field, Orks are just naturally tough.
If they're anything like the Warhammer Fantasy orcs, they are the size of big people and as strong as strong people, on average. Ajax is both as well, so he must be naturally tough as well.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: August 20, 2010, 06:00:52 pm »

Ajax is stronger and tougher than your average strong and tough person. The only people who can provide him with any sort of competition (and even then, he still beats them without even getting injured) rely on the assistance of the greek gods, whereas Ajax doesn't.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: August 20, 2010, 06:45:27 pm »

Throwing chariot-sized boulders would tend to make you strong. That's something I doubt even Snikrot could do.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 20, 2010, 06:53:10 pm »

40k Orks are actually far stronger than a strong human, they decimate the poor blokes in melee. Only Space Marines out-macho them, really. And even then it can go either way depending on the Ork and Marine.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: August 20, 2010, 08:08:25 pm »

I don't see Ajax being unable to pierce Snikrot's skin, Ajax is super-human, and while the spear may break, it will still have enough force to do damage. The Shield beat Guts' sword because the sword is a momentum weapon which the shield could deflect, it isn't a matter of the sword hitting the shield and just stopping, it is Ajax using the shield to push himself out of the sword's path. A pair of daggers are a better match for the shield because they are fast and can go around it...

Snikrot would be a dangerous opponent, I think that in the span of about 2-5 minutes Ajax would have taken some form of damage and start to weaken. So the question I find myself asking is, would Ajax have seriously damaged Snikrot in that time? I would expect the spear to be lodged into Snikrot and a couple of decent sword slashes, so, how redundant is ork physiology?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 20, 2010, 08:11:30 pm »

Unrelated, but the fact that there is a single ork on whatever planet this is happening on means that it will be a hollow victory for the winner. None of these characters could beat an army of orks.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: August 20, 2010, 08:15:26 pm »

Unrelated, but the fact that there is a single ork on whatever planet this is happening on means that it will be a hollow victory for the winner. None of these characters could beat an army of orks.

Mustang burns the spores.

Heroic Victory.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 66