Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 66

Author Topic: Fight to the Death: [ROUND SIX: TEX VS DR.CLEF]  (Read 57767 times)

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the Death: [ROUND FOUR: DON KANONJI VS SAM VIMES]
« Reply #450 on: July 27, 2010, 10:44:20 pm »

Dammit, that was my only gambit for Gabe vs. Isaac.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 27, 2010, 10:47:05 pm »

Dammit, that was my only gambit for Gabe vs. Isaac.
Isaac kills... just not if he has any choice. If something is trying to kill him he still fights back with deadly force.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 27, 2010, 10:51:02 pm »

Yes, but not people. He's never killed any of his human opponents, and even Saturos and Menardi fell into the lighthouse pit from exhaustion rather than any directly-inflicted Isaacattack.

Felix, I can imagine killing, but under similarly strict circumstances.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 28, 2010, 12:08:53 am »

I think Narrative Causality is on Don's side here.  In a battle between someone who's extremely wacky and a serious business police officer, the wacky guy wins nine times out of ten (see the excellent documentaries on this subject by the Mr. Fine and the Howard Brothers.)  Vimes is badass, but perhaps he's too badass.

There's also the question of whether or not Vimes would take him seriously long enough to do anything - IIRC, the spirit powers are supposed to be invisible to normal people, and given that Vimes would pretty much correctly assess him as a harmless lunatic, the question of whether or not he'd actually dodge the first attack comes up as well - Vimes tends to try talking to people first.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #454 on: July 28, 2010, 10:50:42 am »

It's true that narrative causality appears to be on the side of Donny Boy, but consider that the Guard of Ankh-Morpork, more than anything else, seems to specialize in defeating The Guards Must Be Crazy tropes. Consider Moist von Lipwig. He was able to outsmart the guards of most cities, but not the Vimes-trained guards.

And of course, while to a roundworld normal person, these spirt powers Don claims to have would be bizzare, you must remember that Vimes lives in a city containg the discworld's oldest and greatest university of Magic, and the fallout from their experimenting. Most likely, Vimes would be rather unimpressed when Don fails to turn him into a small heap of ash.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 28, 2010, 09:56:14 pm »

Distant stars
Come in black or red
I've seen their worlds
Inside my head

They connect
With the fall of man
They breathe you in
And dive as deep as they can

There's nothing you can do for them
They are the force between
When the sunlight is arising

There's nothing you can say to him
He is an outer heart
And the space has been broken

With the new incapacitation rule, I have to shift my support to Sam. While Don is likely prepared for a battle, Sam is prepared to end it. He'll come up with some sort of paralyzing agent to completely take him out, as despite his high spiritual presence Don is still essentially human. As long as Sam doesn't make the mistake of not taking his opponent seriously, he should be able to avoid any attacks that come his way and end it quickly, and with enough strength to get them both off of the field.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 09:57:53 pm by CJ1145 »
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

aurixdarastrix

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing to see here, move along
    • View Profile
Fight to the Death: [ROUND FIVE: GILGAMESH VS TERRA BRANFORD]
« Reply #456 on: July 29, 2010, 02:59:17 pm »

Round over.  Winner: Sam Vimes.  Method:  Incapacitation. 

Next round:  Gilgamesh VERSUS Terra Branford
[INTERMITTENTLY_ACTIVE]

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the Death: [ROUND FIVE: GILGAMESH VS TERRA BRANFORD]
« Reply #457 on: July 29, 2010, 03:01:16 pm »

Hmm. While Gilgamesh is super-strong, Terra has beaten actual gods, not just demigods. (As an aside: I take most of what I know about Terra's combat abilities from Dissidia) She is more than capable of dodging any of his attacks, and we've never seen what a fireball can due to Gilgamesh anyway. My head hurts too much to go into detail, but Terra wins this.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 29, 2010, 03:27:56 pm »

(As an aside: I take most of what I know about Terra's combat abilities from Dissidia)
Well, she's not usually QUITE that powerful, everyone in Dissidia is a lot better than usual.

Still, Gilgamesh doesn't stand a chance. Terra single-handedly destroyed an entire regiment of soldiers while mind controlled, and that was before she had any control over her powers. Gilgamesh on the other hand is... a king. He's not even superhuman.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 29, 2010, 04:16:02 pm »

Terra can turn into a esper-version of herself that does double damage.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 29, 2010, 04:27:58 pm »

Aww, I wasn't gonna mention the damage doubling til a tougher fight...

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 29, 2010, 04:31:11 pm »

I think it depends on luck of the draw.  Terra's got some nice spells, but Gilgamesh could just draw zantetsuken and take her out in a single hit.  I suppose the difference between a moderately difficult crossover boss and a main protagonist is the protagonist has plot armor, so we can't really hold the fact that she can beat him in the arena against him.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 29, 2010, 04:32:15 pm »

What about using image? That is pretty much a couple of hits avoided.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 29, 2010, 04:35:25 pm »

What about using image? That is pretty much a couple of hits avoided.
Yeah, but she'd have to let him get a free hit in to cast it pretty much.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 29, 2010, 04:46:11 pm »

But... this is the ordinary, real, King Gilgamesh. Not the summon. Besides, any FF6 character not equipped with a safety bit(protection from instant death) is doomed from the start.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 66