Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 66

Author Topic: Fight to the Death: [ROUND SIX: TEX VS DR.CLEF]  (Read 57785 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the Death: [ROUND THREE: ROY MUSTANG VS PROBLEM SLEUTH]
« Reply #405 on: July 26, 2010, 09:23:19 pm »

What's a Gelom?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 26, 2010, 09:26:16 pm »

Moleg Reppoc would kick both of their asses.
By the power of Google!!!
nothin. Who?
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 26, 2010, 09:26:46 pm »

Moleg Reppoc would kick both of their asses.
By the power of Google!!!
nothin. Who?
It's an inside joke. A very painful one that doesn't listen to reason and has never heard of a forge.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 26, 2010, 09:26:59 pm »

You took that one backward.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 26, 2010, 09:27:35 pm »

What was taken backward?

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 26, 2010, 09:28:49 pm »

What was taken backward?

I,m not certain anymore, these threads are going fast.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 26, 2010, 09:29:14 pm »

What was taken backward?

I,m not certain anymore, these threads are going fast.
Let's do this one step at a time. Who were you responding to?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 26, 2010, 09:38:38 pm »

That guy. With the face.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 26, 2010, 09:40:34 pm »

OK so we know it's not this guy

EDIT: Editing

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 26, 2010, 10:08:55 pm »

In the end it doesn't matter what we agree on, it is entirely up to the host to just arbitrarily say whoever they want wins, and I doubt that having to go over the past few pages will speed up the game any...

P.S.
Can we decide exactly what                     has in advance so that we needn't have this argument later?

Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 26, 2010, 10:10:26 pm »

No.

Because this entire thing was a augment about what they have.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 26, 2010, 10:17:31 pm »

Was mostly refering that by reading the name backward it,s suspiciously close to Copper Golem, don't know of an history behind it and thus i was confused.

Not getting any better i guess.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 27, 2010, 09:14:38 am »

So if we HAVE determined what each character has, what say we get down to the nitty-gritty: who would win in a fight? I say Mustang, his power is highly destructive. Each of his hands serves a different purpose. In the example fight, one hand is in charge of massive explosions, and the other on little snipe shots (and it's not an exaggeration of skill; when focused, he can and has burned out people's eyes.) While Problem Sleuth has very destructive power, most of them require getting rather close to Mustang, which is all but suicide. Really, he only has luck as a total advantage. In fact, despite my hatred of it, I'm going to use that 5-point system I normally use to determine who I believe would win.

Skill: Mustang takes this one. Problem Sleuth is a hard-boiled detective, but his rampage in his self-titled story is the first time he's learning to use these powers. Mustang has spent years learning to control his alchemy; thanks to the efforts of the Hawkeye family, Roy is the only one who can use fire alchemy; the only way to gain experience fighting it is to fight Roy. And Roy very rarely leaves survivors.

Armament: Tied. Roy's fire alchemy is the second-most destructive (flat-out most if he gets a Philosopher's Stone) form of alchemy in the series, losing out only to Kimbley's sociopathic rampages. It serves as both a weapon of mass destruction and as a sniper rifle, capable of various strength outputs and flame sizes. Problem Sleuth's gun is of no use here, but Death's scythe is another matter. Capable of being all sorts of weapons, the scythe gives Sleuth an edge. Or it would, if half the weapons weren't such easy targets to burn away into nothing. Sleuth's only options that won't get flat-out destroyed are probably guns, which aren't of much use; the atomic bomb, which would kill them both; and melee weapons. Those are his best bet, but even then he has to be very careful not to be incinerated.

Endurance: Roy wins out here, but not in the conventional sense. In vampire form, Sleuth can probably take plenty more damage. The difference here is that Death's Scythe would not put out as much damage as Roy's fire. While Sleuth could probably take one good hit from the flames before kicking the bucket, Roy has the advantage of being up against a weapon that more or less sticks to conventional terms. If he's impaled, he can still keep fighting, as he has proven in the past. If he is bleeding out, he can fix himself up, though at that point he's on a timer to end the match quickly. It's not by much, and it's not in the way you think, but Roy can endure more of what Problem Sleuth dishes out than vice-versa.

Agility: Problem Sleuth. While Roy is as fast as an athletic human or well-trained soldier, he's still just that: human. Problem Sleuth, for this battle, is in vampire form and therefore much quicker than Roy. Instead, Roy must rely on keeping Problem Sleuth at bay with massive firewalls, which will not be easy due to the sheer speed and power of the vampiric form.

Preparation: This one comes down more to psychology than anything else. Roy is a rather silly man at his worst, but when push comes to shove you can tell there's always a hidden goal behind his seemingly stupid actions, something to further his own goals. With no way to Obfuscate Stupidity around here, Roy will be forced to get serious, spending all his time studying or training. Since he's already in more or less peak condition, time will be spent learning: all of his foe's moves, and deciding how best to counter each. Problem Sleuth would probably take up at least six hours of study, being a wild card in this tournament. He would be fully prepared.

Problem Sleuth, only the other hand, is a sillier sort than Roy, even. While he tends to further his own goals by doing them, most of his actions are rather nonsensical and arbitrary. Based on the time spent in the Problem Sleuth adventure, we can be more or less guaranteed he'd spend a day and a half just goofing around in his office. Roy would probably get a few hours of study though, as his powers are rather specifically tailored to kick the Sleuth's ass. As far as actual preparation goes, Roy Mustang would take the matter more seriously.

With a score of 3.5/1.5, Roy Mustang beats Problem Sleuth in the scoring aspect. I have already presented my case as to how the actual fight would go down, so that's it from me. I hope the judge will see the obvious choice for victory in this fight.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 27, 2010, 09:36:13 am »

Very good analysis, but there was one problem. You must consider the possibility and ramifications of sneak attacks and hiding. For example, you stated that Roy would be able to burn PS to a cinder from afar, but this would only work if Roy knew where PS was. If PS were able to sneak up on Roy, then this advantage would be negated. Similarly, if Roy were to sneak up on PS, then Roy would be able to exploit his advantages to a greater extent.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 27, 2010, 09:49:23 am »

That is true, and I considered that. However, each has the distinct advantage of being able to just blow away nearby cover if they can't find the other combatant. Roy is a beast with his alchemy, as I said. With a Philospher's Stone further augmenting his powers, it shouldn't be too hard to take out rubble. And Problem Sleuth could bomb away the cover, though it might be a bit more difficult. And both displays would probably distract the user from noticing if their foe is right behind them.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 66