Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 66

Author Topic: Fight to the Death: [ROUND SIX: TEX VS DR.CLEF]  (Read 57801 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the Death: [ROUND THREE: ROY MUSTANG VS PROBLEM SLEUTH]
« Reply #345 on: July 26, 2010, 06:09:25 pm »

I think you're both giving your side unfair advantages... ::)

I'm trying not to, but in cases like this I need to fight fire with fire (excuse the terrible pun)
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 26, 2010, 06:10:02 pm »

Okay. I will stop. But I want to know. Do you really think that you saying that Roy gets magic but PS does not (because that is really what both of there powers are, magic in deferring ways but magic all the same.) and then me protesting is pursuing technicalities?

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 26, 2010, 06:10:27 pm »

I think you're both giving your side unfair advantages... ::)

I'm trying not to, but in cases like this I need to fight fire with fire (excuse the terrible pun)

And in the process, you become no better than your opponent.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 26, 2010, 06:12:56 pm »

Okay. I will stop. But I want to know. Do you really think that you saying that Roy gets magic but PS does not (because that is really what both of there powers are, magic in deferring ways but magic all the same.) and then me protesting is pursuing technicalities?
He never said PS can't use his magic abilities. He just said the ones that don't require either help or convoluted setups aren't very powerful compared to Roy.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 26, 2010, 06:17:24 pm »

He did say that.

without a portal to the imaginary world, if this is a truly neutral ground then Problem Sleuth is simply an ordinary, if hard-boiled man with a gun, against Colonel Mustang, who can and has wiped out hundreds of soldiers with roughly the same equipment. And that was when he was a rookie.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 26, 2010, 06:50:05 pm »

Okay, arguing is not going to work, I have seen that now. I pupose this:

Fighter one: Candy corn vampire Problem Sleuth with the scythe of death.

Strengths: Super speed, flight, invulnerability until he gets hurt enough, the scythe of death with can turn into any weapon up to and including A-bombs and jets.

Weaknesses: If too much time passes or he gets to hurt he loses super speed and can get hurt, he does not have the greatest durability although he is still much more than a human.

Fighter Two: Roy Mustang

Strengths: Can make fire. LOTS AND LOTS OF FIRE. Like so much fire he can burn down a city with a snap of his hands.

Weaknesses: Other than fire he is a extremely healthy but still normal human.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 26, 2010, 06:58:06 pm »

This is also in response to the post you made just before this. I wouldn't consider what PS does to be magic, at least not in the conventional sense. Same with Roy's abilities, though it's a bit closer to magic. I don't want to deny either one their abilities so much as I want to ensure nobody's getting an unfair advantage.  Dragnar understood my intent, but that quote you took from me is true in that I said it and isn't correct. I suppose SOME of Problem Sleuth's abilities are fully workable in a neutral environment. However, some of his heavy hitters are absent, as are the trump cards that are his allies.

It think we both made good points (and dragnar as well) so I guess there isn't much to do but wait and see who the judge thinks is superior.

Pre-post EDIT:

I'm OK with your Problem Sleuth one (though it is a little biased), but I'd give suggest this for Roy to even the bias out:

Fighter Two: Roy Mustang

Strengths: Is extremely talented with fire alchemy, capable of wiping out large population centers with larger bursts, and burning out eyes with smaller, more accurate ones. Is also a colonel in the military and a well-versed veteran of combat. Extremely determined, able to remain conscious after what would be near-fatal wounds to others.

Weaknesses: When wet, his gloves do not work, and force him to either forgo alchemy or carve a circle into his hand to continue with his previous strategy. Is no more durable than the average soldier as far as deadly wounds go.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 26, 2010, 07:02:20 pm »

So every soldier can withstand near-fatal wounds?

Is no more durable than the average soldier as far as deadly wounds go
able to remain conscious after what would be near-fatal wounds to others.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 26, 2010, 07:04:05 pm »

Deadly and near-fatal are not the same.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 26, 2010, 07:08:29 pm »

So anyway I knew I was biased and I knew you would fix it. What you say is okay. I only have one problem.
I suppose SOME of Problem Sleuth's abilities are fully workable in a neutral environment. However, some of his heavy hitters are absent, as are the trump cards that are his allies.

I sorta understand what you are saying but. But. I say that his abilities that do not work in a neutral environment are on the same as far as realism goes for Mustangs abilities. If you are going to take away PS abilities because of a neutral environment you MUST take away Mustangs alchemy.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 26, 2010, 07:10:03 pm »

Why, though?
Mustang's alchemy relies on the environment only in that it modifies the environment.
There is no special "magical power" floating around that lets them use it that wouldn't be present in a neutral environment.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 26, 2010, 07:10:27 pm »

Deadly and near-fatal are not the same.
Well said sir for pointing out my mistake (Thanks.) And I am not being sarcastic because it really isnt that nice to say towards someone who has helped you point out an honest mistake

Why, though?
Mustang's alchemy relies on the environment only in that it modifies the environment.
There is no special "magical power" floating around that lets them use it that wouldn't be present in a neutral environment.

Also he probably means that it has no elements in it.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 26, 2010, 07:11:02 pm »

So anyway I knew I was biased and I knew you would fix it. What you say is okay. I only have one problem.
I suppose SOME of Problem Sleuth's abilities are fully workable in a neutral environment. However, some of his heavy hitters are absent, as are the trump cards that are his allies.

I sorta understand what you are saying but. But. I say that his abilities that do not work in a neutral environment are on the same as far as realism goes for Mustangs abilities. If you are going to take away PS abilities because of a neutral environment you MUST take away Mustangs alchemy.

I didn't say this was the real world, where nothing works. I'm saying that even in its own continuity many of PS powers don't work outside of the imaginary world. Why would they work in a neutral ground? Roy's powers work all the time, therefore they work in the neutral ground. In the same vein, the powers of PS that work all the time would also work in the neutral ground.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 26, 2010, 07:12:41 pm »

The whole PS story is obviously just a metaphor for friendship being good.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 26, 2010, 07:15:21 pm »

The whole PS story is obviously just a metaphor for friendship being good.

Pfft, that's a good one. What's next, Aslan is an allegory for Jesus?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 66