Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 66

Author Topic: Fight to the Death: [ROUND SIX: TEX VS DR.CLEF]  (Read 57653 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the Death: [ROUND SIX: TEX VS DR.CLEF]
« Reply #690 on: August 20, 2010, 08:24:09 pm »

Unrelated, but the fact that there is a single ork on whatever planet this is happening on means that it will be a hollow victory for the winner. None of these characters could beat an army of orks.

Mustang burns the spores.

Heroic Victory.
Actually... how fast do orks grow? Several contestants could stop them beforehand, but once they reach full size... the WAAAAAGH!!! is unstoppable.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: August 20, 2010, 08:29:13 pm »

I think the spores take at least a day, maybe more. If not, Orks would never lose a fight.

However, you seem to forget that Mustang's fire is red and burns things to cinders. He would be very respected amongst the Orks, probably enough to not swarm him and instead go one at a time, so each Ork gets a chance at a real good scrap.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: August 20, 2010, 08:33:48 pm »

That is a very good point. Heck, the orks might even make him a new god or something due to his mastery of fire. Warboss at least. Mustang with the psychic power of the WAAAAGH...
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 20, 2010, 08:41:31 pm »

"This also makes it extremely difficult to rid a planet of Orks, even if the initial invasion is defeated. Orks release spores thought their lives, but release them particularly at the moment of death. Without a nearby population of Orks, the fungus will eventually start the Ork life cycle anew. Decades after weathering an Ork Waaagh! settlements on a planet can find themselves faced with an unexpected attack from Feral Ork tribes coming out of the wilderness."

I would guess that it would take many years for Fully grown orks to appear...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: August 20, 2010, 08:55:06 pm »

Hm...some things from the article.

It appears that the fungus allows the Ork's body to negate the use of complex internal organs, the immune system and the reproductive anatomy. The fungus therefore allows the Ork to reduce the number of potentially fatal injuries possible, further improving their survivability.

This would mean even impalement would probably just inconvenience Snikrot.

The skull, like many other parts of the Ork body, is far thicker than that of a human, giving it toughness far exceeding humans' own. The tusks on the Ork face are unlikely to be related to food consumption (even though Orks photosynthesise, they also consume food, mainly Squigs) and are more for decoration or combat, more likely the latter. They have pointed ears like the Eldar, although they have a low density of nerve clusters, indicating a stripped down to bare essentials approach to the Ork creation. All of this gives Orks a simple, effective and durable body, allowing them to fight well but passing over quality of sensation.

Thus, Orks are much much MUCH more damage resistant than a human. They are also dull to sensation, meaning pain is much less...painful, for them.

An Orks internal organs, noted earlier, are simple and effective, relying heavily on their fungal elements. They have a large multi-chambered stomach which feeds a crude renal system. This combined with a body-cavity filling 'fungal soup' (which has the effect of replacing the biochemical organs (liver, kidney, spleen, pancreas etc.) gives the Orks an intensely strong internal system, even though it is quite basic in design.

As this states, an Ork is much harder to kill via striking organs, as it barely has any.

The bones of an Ork are thick, hard and durable, allowing them to sustain high velocity impacts without fracture or damage. The structure is similar to that of humans but the core of the bone contains a spongy fungal matter, replacing the simple human marrow.

So, Ork bones can resist high-velocity impacts. It stands to reason that a strike from Ajax, which would have it's force spread out more, would fail to break or fracture. Repeated strikes in one area, sure but if you account for dodges and parries from Snikrot, that's unlikely to happen before Snikrot can get a killing or crippling blow on Ajax.

Finally, much of the Ork body is filled with a spongy mass, presumably to protect what little internal organs the Ork possesses.

Further protection from all types of attacks.

The structure and design of the Ork body provide a strong, tough and resilient system but also running at a low level of complexity. These combine to show that Orks are genetically engineered for combat. Their muscles are extremely strong and their squat bodies can stand immense punishment.

Recap. Orks are tough, strong, have very few weak points, and near immune to pain. Ajax, while an incredible fighter, still has a heart and lungs and such. Snikrot is also probably strong enough to block a strike from Ajax, as long as he gets out of the way afterwords.

And there's the fact that giving Snikrot even a measly shoota would garuntee his victory, due to the sheer technology gap.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: August 20, 2010, 09:06:51 pm »

This would mean even impalement would probably just inconvenience Snikrot.

Unless the impalement made a hole for the fungal soup (the stuff that replaces the organs) to seep out of.

Thus, Orks are much much MUCH more damage resistant than a human. They are also dull to sensation, meaning pain is much less...painful, for them.

Just because they can't feel it doesn't mean it's less damaging. A hamstringed leg still can't walk because it's numb.

As this states, an Ork is much harder to kill via striking organs, as it barely has any.

Again, a hole could be made for the blood and 'fungal soup' to drain out of.

So, Ork bones can resist high-velocity impacts. It stands to reason that a strike from Ajax, which would have it's force spread out more, would fail to break or fracture. Repeated strikes in one area, sure but if you account for dodges and parries from Snikrot, that's unlikely to happen before Snikrot can get a killing or crippling blow on Ajax.

Actually, I think they mean 'impacts' as in crashing into the ground. A blow from Ajax would be targeted on only a small area, which would be more focused. One or two boulder-hurlingly-powerful hits should do the trick.

Further protection from all types of attacks.

Sponges would protect against crushing damage, but slashes and thrusts would pierce the spongy mass like a hot knife through butter.

Recap. Orks are tough, strong, have very few weak points, and near immune to pain. Ajax, while an incredible fighter, still has a heart and lungs and such. Snikrot is also probably strong enough to block a strike from Ajax, as long as he gets out of the way afterwords.

Ajax may have a heart and lungs, but he has a near invincible shield. That shield can be moved very quickly, so it would at least keep one knife at bay. The other knife would have to get through Ajax's greatspear or Xophos sword, which has the advantage of both length and a thrusting edge in addition to its slashing edge. Ajax could likely keep this up longer than Snikrot due to Orkish endurance primarily coming from the Waaagh!, which wouldn't be there to help Snikrot.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: August 21, 2010, 02:50:18 am »

Will Ajax be getting a primer on ork physiology? I could see him going through the list of competitors and noting down what would be lethal, but without that I think that the alien physiology of an ork would render his attacks largely ineffective.

Partial scenario:
 Ajax hears Snikrot's massive feet coming up behind him, turns and swipes with his spear while pinpointing Snikrot's position. In spite of this, invisibility is still an advantage and Ajax is driven back by the initial assault. Ajax then suddenly closes with Snikrot and uses his shield to bash the ork off of its balance, at which point Ajax gets a single good stab with his spear. After this point I think things get less interesting, as they just trade blows...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: August 21, 2010, 03:07:08 am »

Will Ajax be getting a primer on ork physiology? I could see him going through the list of competitors and noting down what would be lethal, but without that I think that the alien physiology of an ork would render his attacks largely ineffective.
I thought there was some rule we put in about having some time to prepare for each fight, so I'd assume so. If not, blind stabbing would cause leakages too.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: August 21, 2010, 06:26:38 am »

I believe the generally accepted time was three days to research each of the opponents.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: August 21, 2010, 06:27:53 am »

Yes, it was.

The question is, then: Do Ajax and Snikrot have access to Google?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: August 21, 2010, 06:35:03 am »

I thought that Snikrot was cut off from WHAAAAAAAAAAGLE!, and Agaj is probably too busy practising with large stone shotputs...
Read the First Post!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: August 21, 2010, 10:10:41 am »

I thought that Snikrot was cut off from WHAAAAAAAAAAGLE!, and Agaj is probably too busy practising with large stone shotputs...
Ajax is a smartso as well, he helped Odysseus think of plans to get into Troy.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: August 21, 2010, 10:14:14 am »

I thought there was some rule we put in about having some time to prepare for each fight, so I'd assume so. If not, blind stabbing would cause leakages too.
You're talking about Orks like they're flimsy balloons ready to pop. Do you not remember that these guys regularly receive blows from armor piercing exploding machine guns and keep going? The chainsaw swords? The power weapons? In case you aren't aware, the Orks are bio-engineered. These guys are fucking weapons built to fight the Necrons. The creators of the Orks aren't stupid enough to make lone Orks entirely useless. As far as sheer durability and strength goes, the average Ork is only slightly below a Space Marine in strength, which would easily put him on Ajax's strength level. Then you must take into account that Sniktrot is no average Ork. You don't survive on a hostile planet for 50 years with nothing but a pair of swords without being seriously clever. The guy is Gork and Mork incarnate.

The WAAAAAGH! amplifies an already superpowered creature. You're talking about Sniktrot like he's a fucking grot.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: August 21, 2010, 01:17:51 pm »

You're talking about Orks like they're flimsy balloons ready to pop. Do you not remember that these guys regularly receive blows from armor piercing exploding machine guns and keep going? The chainsaw swords? The power weapons?
Exploding bullets, power weapons, and chainswords are mere bludgeoning (in the case of explosions) and slashing weapons. A piercing weapon would be more effective at piercing the skin. Asides from that, the ability to keep going doesn't necessarily dictate the strength of an injury. As I said before, it doesn't matter if you don't feel pain if you're bleeding out.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: August 21, 2010, 02:54:22 pm »

You're talking about Orks like they're flimsy balloons ready to pop. Do you not remember that these guys regularly receive blows from armor piercing exploding machine guns and keep going? The chainsaw swords? The power weapons?
Exploding bullets, power weapons, and chainswords are mere bludgeoning (in the case of explosions) and slashing weapons. A piercing weapon would be more effective at piercing the skin. Asides from that, the ability to keep going doesn't necessarily dictate the strength of an injury. As I said before, it doesn't matter if you don't feel pain if you're bleeding out.

You say that like Orks are unable to cauterize or clot their wounds. Space Marines do that in mere seconds. I imagine an Ork wound wouldn't be bleeding for more than ten to twenty seconds. And I don't know what strange land you come from, but a slashing wound is far more likely to cause far more bleeding than a stab in the gut. And Power Swords are capable of piercing, depending on the design. Really now, you're trying to tell me that a chainsaw is less effective than a bronze spear on flesh. That's just not true.

And another thing about explosions: They're explosions. Ajax took swords and spears like they were nothing, but when you start bringing rocket propelled grenades into the equation he's goop.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 66