Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 66

Author Topic: Fight to the Death: [ROUND SIX: TEX VS DR.CLEF]  (Read 57709 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the Death: [ROUND SIX: TEX VS DR.CLEF]
« Reply #585 on: August 06, 2010, 02:59:26 pm »

And SCP-668 is a knife. That's nice, I guess. Coincidentally, it's effect is worth fuck all in this battle, as all it does is make people incapable of assisting. Apparently it does very little against the victim. Even then, you have to wonder if an AI such as Tex is even capable of apathy.

Including incapable of assisting themselves.

If you honestly think Tex, through magical assistance or otherwise, would ever decide not to assist herself, then I suspect you haven't even watched RvB.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 06, 2010, 03:03:39 pm »

And SCP-668 is a knife. That's nice, I guess. Coincidentally, it's effect is worth fuck all in this battle, as all it does is make people incapable of assisting. Apparently it does very little against the victim. Even then, you have to wonder if an AI such as Tex is even capable of apathy.

Including incapable of assisting themselves.

If you honestly think Tex, through magical assistance or otherwise, would ever decide not to assist herself, then I suspect you haven't even watched RvB.
It takes a team of soldiers working in perfect tendem to take down someone with 668. And they do so by working together in such a way that none of them think they are actually trying to stop the one with the knife. It isn't physically possible to resist.

pseudo-edit: Hmm... actually, it says that there is some ridiculously low percentage of people with enough psychic resistance to ignore it... Either way, I don't think Clef should have any SCPs to begin with.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 06, 2010, 03:08:35 pm »

If he's such a Badass Normal, I don't see why people are demanding he go in wielding reality-warping objects so that he can win. Coincidentally, in combination of her mental, erm, "stamina" for lack of a better term, and the nature of her existence as an AI, wouldn't Tex fall under the resistant category?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 06, 2010, 03:11:01 pm »

If he's such a Badass Normal, I don't see why people are demanding he go in wielding reality-warping objects so that he can win.
Agreed. I think he can win without them though, if only because he specializes in taking down unstoppable monsters, and I don't think he ever uses SCPs to do so.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 06, 2010, 03:17:52 pm »

If he's such a Badass Normal, I don't see why people are demanding he go in wielding reality-warping objects so that he can win.
Agreed. I think he can win without them though, if only because he specializes in taking down unstoppable monsters, and I don't think he ever uses SCPs to do so.

There's unstoppable monsters, and then there's Tex. Seriously, let me make an analogy (kind of)

In one of the season finales, a combination of the Red and Blue teams work together to fight off a Freelancer team made up of one elite soldier and a bunch of Elites. Despite the odds being blatantly in their favor, the Freelancer and co. have extreme difficulty fighting the two teams, actually being forced into a standstill for some time.

Now then, minus that one Freelancer, all those elites were killed by Washington and the Meta. Now, those two are good, but Tex is arguably better than both of them, maybe a match for the two combined.

So let's do some math and say there were 8 Elites, which I think might actually be a bit stingy.

8 Elites=Red+Blue Teams
8 Elites<Two Freelancers
Red+Blue Teams<Tex
8 Elites<Tex
Two Freelancers<Tex

What you need to remember is that even though Clef is used to taking down monsters, Tex is far worse than that. She is a monster with all the training of a commando.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 06, 2010, 04:02:37 pm »

It's a comedy series, and most of the characters can go down with one shot.  In addition, Clef's, together with Agent Strenkilov stormed an entire South American military base armed only with knives, killed everyone there and rescued a hostage.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 06, 2010, 04:38:13 pm »

It's a comedy series, and most of the characters can go down with one shot.  In addition, Clef's, together with Agent Strenkilov stormed an entire South American military base armed only with knives, killed everyone there and rescued a hostage.

A comedy series can still have good action. And RvB does. You throw that phrase around so much I'm amazed you haven't complained to the OP that Tex is allowed in the contest. Homestuck is a comedy series; does that mean Sollux Captor or Bro are incompetent wusses? No, it most certainly does not. Same thing applies to Tex. She's been in her own far more serious mini-series, and kicked just as much ass there. And that was BEFORE her improvements.

Another thing: Until I'm told HOW he does these things, I doubt Clef's ability. We can be told that "he killed these" and "she killed those" all day, but the fact of the matter is at the very least, we get to SEE Tex beat the shit out of people. Clef, not so much.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 08, 2010, 12:38:58 am »

In RvB one of the major (one might even say central) comedic themes is characters being pretty dull.  The funniest parts are when the bar is set embarrassingly low and a character trips over it.

Tex is unique in that she is competent, however in the setting given we have little to no reason to assume that anyone else is unless proven otherwise. 

Also, defeating an elite (or even a dozen of them) is no big deal.  Even on the harder difficulty modes they're pushovers.

Until you can prove that Tex has actually defeated enemies with an IQ higher than the humidity, I have serious doubts as to her actual skill.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 09, 2010, 12:16:37 am »

Well then I'm sorry to say, I think you're just going to pointlessly dismiss everything I tell you. I've give you examples of where she fits in her own continuity and you reject it purely on the comedic nature of the series. You seem to assume that a comedic series cannot have good action or logic. You seem to not understand one of the key themes of the newest three seasons has been to deconstruct the antics of the main characters. They have been thrown into far more dangerous and serious situations recently, where they have proven themselves to be at least somewhat competent. And Tex still thrashed them. This is in comparison to Freelancer guards, and to Elites, the toughest mooks in the Halo series.

Dr Clef, on the other hand, we know nothing about. Seriously, I read his article and learn more or less nothing about him. We are told he has worked with an ally to take down a specops base. Prove to me that he didn't simply let his ally do most of the work himself. Even then, Tex's natural abilities put her on a level far above normal humans. Dr. Clef appears to stick to conventional weaponry; why would tech so outdated by Tex's standards even scratch her armor?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 09, 2010, 12:56:17 am »

I dunno about this fight, but I'd like to know how Terra avoided the bloodcannon, much less kill Gilgamesh.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 09, 2010, 01:10:29 am »

dr.clef was locked away and tied up in a military base filled with over 200 soldiers, he escaped, rescued a captured agent and stole a seaplane to escape. This was his VACATION.
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 09, 2010, 01:39:39 am »

I dunno about this fight, but I'd like to know how Terra avoided the bloodcannon, much less kill Gilgamesh.

She obviously didn't kill him. Knowing Gilgamesh, they of course had hot, magical, half-deity sex. Then Gilgamesh jetted away with his bloodcannon, leaving Terra to go on in the tournament.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 09, 2010, 02:42:50 am »

She obviously didn't kill him. Knowing Gilgamesh, they of course had hot, magical, half-deity sex. Then Gilgamesh jetted away with his bloodcannon, leaving Terra to go on in the tournament.
Ahahaha.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 09, 2010, 08:05:06 am »

dr.clef was locked away and tied up in a military base filled with over 200 soldiers, he escaped, rescued a captured agent and stole a seaplane to escape. This was his VACATION.
Yes, but nobody knows how they did it, that all occurred offscreen. I cite the 'screenshot or it didn't happen' clause...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 09, 2010, 10:35:44 am »

Yes, but nobody knows how they did it, that all occurred offscreen. I cite the 'screenshot or it didn't happen' clause...
This is probably Clef greatest weakness. Due to the nature of the SCP foundation, there are never any details about anything. Dlef has done some impressive stuff, but there is no way of knowing how.

Simple. A bloodcannon isn't really very dangerous. Just gross. In fact, it would blind Gilgamesh within moments of him being cut.

...or that.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 66