Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 66

Author Topic: Fight to the Death: [ROUND SIX: TEX VS DR.CLEF]  (Read 57705 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the Death: [ROUND SIX: TEX VS DR.CLEF]
« Reply #570 on: August 05, 2010, 10:25:30 pm »

Doesn't that require Tex to be an SCP? Which she, you know, isn't? Honestly, that whole damn site is confusing to me. Could somebody explain the premise behind it?
It's a site detailing a massive number of Artifacts Of Doom. Well, most of them fall under that anyway. Some are totally harmless.

Also, who needs a logic bomb? Just use an EMP. But that would require more preparation than the fighters were given. I think the results of this fight will come down to how well built Tex's armor is. Even one flaw and Clef will cripple it at the start of the fight. If it has no weaknesses then Clef is probably doomed. As skilled as he is he can't dodge forever, and an AI is much harder to cripple than a normal human... though then again, I suspect Clef would just load up with as much armor piercing ammo as possible before the contest.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 05, 2010, 10:44:11 pm »

That sounds more like Kondraki's deal. Which is to say, load up with all the ammo.

All of it.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 05, 2010, 10:44:53 pm »

Of course, even against trained soldiers Tex has a tendency to not get hit. While all Freelancers are hyper-deadly, particularly with their AIs, Tex (and Washington) are the only Freelancers that have proven they do not need the AI to operate at extreme efficiency. Not to mention Tex's super-strength has proven that at the very least, dropping objects on her does nothing. Whatever weapons Clef gets, they would have to

A) Get past Tex's shields
B) Penetrate her now souped-up armor
C) Still have enough force to cripple the systems of a highly-advanced AI that was more or less designed for frontline combat.

Nothing short of a rocket launcher has that sort of power, and Tex has already demonstrated why using a rocket launcher against her is a very bad idea.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 05, 2010, 10:45:43 pm »

Remember that this isn't an argument between us, it is an argument between us and the GM. I like to think that text is winning that argument, if people want Clef to win I suggest that they propose a detailed scenario in which he wins, and a detailed list of his capabilities...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 05, 2010, 10:46:28 pm »

He is Satan. Possibly.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: August 05, 2010, 10:46:56 pm »

He is Satan. Possibly.

Tex is an AI and technically has no soul. She is squarely outside of Satan's territory.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: August 05, 2010, 11:14:33 pm »

He is Satan. Possibly.

Tex is an AI and technically has no soul. She is squarely outside of Satan's territory.
Or, possibly, is squarely inside his territory.

Though, Tex is a mercenary.  Clef would probably just buy out her contract during prep time.  Since she's an AI, somebody else probably owns her anyway.  Then, when the battle starts, he just has her turn off remotely.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: August 05, 2010, 11:20:32 pm »

He is Satan. Possibly.

Or, possibly, is squarely inside his territory.

Though, Tex is a mercenary.  Clef would probably just buy out her contract during prep time.  Since she's an AI, somebody else probably owns her anyway.  Then, when the battle starts, he just has her turn off remotely.

See now, that started off as almost working, but then you forgot that Tex isn't an idiot. She's a Freelancer. That means she works alone. Even though she started out in an organization, you can guarantee she's independent now. Also, no way in hell she'd sell her contract to the guy she's going to be fighting. AND, she has no off switch. You either have to kill her or activate a specific program that only works in a certain building that the fight is not taking place in.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 06, 2010, 02:13:00 am »

What kind of idiot would build a mercenary AI and not include some sort of failsafe?

That said, death appears to be non-permanent for Tex.  I'm sure there's some amount of money she'd accept in exchange for taking a fall.  I'm sure the argument would go something like "there are dudes in this contest with magic powers that your shields and armor and guns will do jack shit against.  Why not let me through and get paid for it, rather than risking pointless death?"
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 02:17:32 am by Qmarx »

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 06, 2010, 08:21:32 am »

Tex has something resembling integrity. I can't recall a single time she betrayed the other Blues, at least for money. That's something even Wash can't claim. Not to mention she rivals Batman in Badass Normal tendencies, so she's got nothing to fear for most of these fights. Even if she does agree to take the fall (and at this point, that seems the only way she'd lose) Dr. Clef is even less prepared for most of these guys. For example, Mustang could fry Clef crispy (but that's a discussion for another time) and I'm not even sure if he could hurt Tex.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: August 06, 2010, 10:14:35 am »

That assumes that alchemy will be able to effect telekill, which is a rather large assumption.  And if Clef is allowed to sign out SCP-668 (which is linked to from his personnel file), then Tex can pretty much do jack shit against him, since she lacks any psychic defenses whatsoever.

The other easily weaponizable SCP from the file, 807, would be less useful since Tex tends to wear a helmet and may not need to eat.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 06, 2010, 10:18:44 am »

I don't remember if that 668 works against AIs, then again the foundation leaves out plenty of details.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 06, 2010, 10:29:58 am »

I don't remember if that 668 works against AIs, then again the foundation leaves out plenty of details.

Therein lies the problem. Really, supporters of Clef can more or less spin a lot of the technology any way they want, because so little is known about them.

And SCP-668 is a knife. That's nice, I guess. Coincidentally, it's effect is worth fuck all in this battle, as all it does is make people incapable of assisting. Apparently it does very little against the victim. Even then, you have to wonder if an AI such as Tex is even capable of apathy.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 06, 2010, 10:33:49 am »

That assumes that alchemy will be able to effect telekill, which is a rather large assumption.
Not really. Roy's alchemy is just ordinary explosion once he has triggered it.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: August 06, 2010, 02:44:23 pm »

And SCP-668 is a knife. That's nice, I guess. Coincidentally, it's effect is worth fuck all in this battle, as all it does is make people incapable of assisting. Apparently it does very little against the victim. Even then, you have to wonder if an AI such as Tex is even capable of apathy.

Including incapable of assisting themselves.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 66