Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 66

Author Topic: Fight to the Death: [ROUND SIX: TEX VS DR.CLEF]  (Read 57800 times)

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the Death: [ROUND THREE: ROY MUSTANG VS PROBLEM SLEUTH]
« Reply #330 on: July 26, 2010, 05:26:36 pm »

You two are setting a double standard here Roy gets everything and all his powers and PS gets nothing.
No,  PS gets all his items and things he needs for things like gambit schema and abilities.

Sepulcritude requires help from a goddess and a Lv. 8 comb rave(which is NOT an item, but something earned through doing a ridiculous amount of damage. Meaning if he's about to win it's a good finisher, but it won't help if Roy's winning)

Sleuth diplomacy is just firing a gun, which Roy has more training with, being in the military

Candy Corn Vampire is powerful, especially with ARMISTICE, and I agree he should have the items to pull it off, but it's short duration and Roy can simply block off all routes to melee attacks with fire.

and that's all of his abilities I can think of that don't require help.

I think it's a close fight, but in the end Roy wins simply due to his training making him a much better shot and his abilities making melee next to impossible. Also because any help PS tries to get from the imaginary world is useless because it's imaginary, even within the confines of MSPA. Roy can stay in reality and shoot PS's comatose REAL body.

Can this guy deal with a rampaging Kentucky Senator bursting out odf his chest ?

Ps wins.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 26, 2010, 05:27:27 pm »

Roy can stay in reality and shoot PS's comatose REAL body.
I'll admit, I hadn't thought of that.

Pre-post EDIT: I'm FAIRLY CERTAIN that Kentucky Senator counts as help. If PS gets him, then Alex Armstrong gets to burst out of Problem Sleuth's chest.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile

Each combatant, at the beginning of the tournament, is given a list and a bio of every other combatant, with a personality description and fighting style. They get three days of preparation before each battle. However, they do not know who they are fighting, and they do not get to watch the other fights. That way, they must be evenly prepared for anyone, even people who are already eliminated, preventing Batman levels of Crazy Prepared.

CJ, it amazes me how you forget something you suggested. 3 days seems to be enough time for PS to get elf tears, weasel snot etc. for use in the battle. So he has what he needs to summon Death and get his scythe. Hell, he could also probably get the necessary regeants to summon the Weasel King. He could also spend that three days to get the necessary pang nectar to be able to use Sepulchritude. Since he uses the 8th comb to preform Sepulchritude, he also has 7 other combs to use to pull off Comb Raves.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile

CJ, it amazes me how you forget something you suggested. 3 days seems to be enough time for PS to get elf tears, weasel snot etc. for use in the battle. So he has what he needs to summon Death and get his scythe. Hell, he could also probably get the necessary regeants to summon the Weasel King. He could also spend that three days to get the necessary pang nectar to be able to use Sepulchritude. Since he uses the 8th comb to preform Sepulchritude, he also has 7 other combs to use to pull off Comb Raves.

That's fine, and I can accept the things he needs to get Death's scythe (not Death, because that's an ally and I thought we had established no allies.)

However, even that's a stretch. These people are given what they usually carry on them. For Problem Sleuth, that would be his hat, various weapons, and candy corn. Also the stuff for the scythe because I am being very nice. Roy gets a pistol, his coat, his transmutation gloves, and a badass officer's hat.

Pang nectar, on the other hand, I don't understand how he'd acquire that. There is no "power grocery store" that they can access. They are brought with whatever they usually have for these battles. Also, a lot of Problem Sleuth's bigger attacks require Hysterical Dame to be hurt. With no Hysterical Dame to BE hurt, that's a chunk of his attacks out the window as well.

CLARIFICATION EDIT: In short, the three days isn't meant to be spent collecting items. It's spent researching your opponents, and physically and mentally preparing yourself. Lift weights, run laps, meditate, whatever you feel like doing. Problem Sleuth would likely spend most of that time in his fort, let alone actually acquiring items he shouldn't have.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 05:37:03 pm by CJ1145 »
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 26, 2010, 05:37:45 pm »

Okay CJ you are right I did say something about a gun. That was crazy of me. I don't know what I was thinking. But you seem to think that PS will fight Roy as if he was a mook. Do you really think that? I am sure Roy kills most people with like .008 of a blast of flame but that does not make me say that is the only thing Roy can use.

Also no just no. You can not say that Roy gets alchemy but PS does not get any powers. That is really stupid. Go ahead and do something for me. Go make a alchemy circle right now... got it? Okay. Now use it. What is that? It does not work? I wonder why.

How many times do I have to say this. PS powers do not only work with friends. Yes he used them to kill the BBEG. But can you honestly say that Roy can kill PS's BBEG by himself?

If you are going to denie him basic access to to basic equipment like elf tears than I must ask for Roys hands. Really uses that stuff like a mage uses mana or a gun fighter uses shells. You would not take ether away from them. Or take all flames away from Roy.

It is pretty god damn funny that you think PS is all Deus Ex Machina. He has some but no more than most main char. Or did he not spend like ten chapters in one fight?

And as you say PS is a main char... just like everybody in this Fight to the Death, therefor they can not use "Main chars always win"

PS: PS is not only invincible when in his fort but he only uses it for just the start, after a bit he always uses his real body in the dream land.

Pang nectar, on the other hand, I don't understand how he'd acquire that. There is no "power grocery store" that they can access. They are brought with whatever they usually have for these battles. Also, a lot of Problem Sleuth's bigger attacks require Hysterical Dame to be hurt. With no Hysterical Dame to BE hurt, that's a chunk of his attacks out the window as well.

Ummm he beats people up and gets the nector? Anyway he does not need it to kill Roy.

Also only ONE move uses HD One. Stop confusing all of his moves for two moves.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile

Each combatant, at the beginning of the tournament, is given a list and a bio of every other combatant, with a personality description and fighting style. They get three days of preparation before each battle. However, they do not know who they are fighting, and they do not get to watch the other fights. That way, they must be evenly prepared for anyone, even people who are already eliminated, preventing Batman levels of Crazy Prepared.

The weasel king is a bit useless in this fight... he's only good for Final Flip Out, which doesn't help against a foe without tangible health bars. But I do agree that he should have a good supply of the items that fuel his abilities. Pang Nectar on the other hand I would think he would need to regain at the start of the fight, mainly because each comb is one use only, and can't ever be recharged. Not to mention that the raves are not specific to PS. Roy could use it just as easily if he got to the thing that holds the combs(I can't remember what it's called). And it would have to be nearby.

I still think sepulcritude should be banned. It's a suicide(mostly) attack that could destroy just about anything after the insane amount of preparation that went into using it. If he can use that it's like an "I win" button for every fight.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 26, 2010, 05:46:51 pm »

Okay CJ you are right I did say something about a gun. That was crazy of me. I don't know what I was thinking. But you seem to think that PS will fight Roy as if he was a mook. Do you really think that? I am sure Roy kills most people with like .008 of a blast of flame but that does not make me say that is the only thing Roy can use.
Well that depends on how much time PS actually spent researching Roy. I mean, Problem Sleuth has faced nastier looking guys and they turned out to be mooks. Unless he actually took time to read his service record, Problem Sleuth would have no reason to suspect Roy is a big deal.

Also no just no. You can not say that Roy gets alchemy but PS does not get any powers. That is really stupid. Go ahead and do something for me. Go make a alchemy circle right now... got it? Okay. Now use it. What is that? It does not work? I wonder why.
*Pinches brow* I am going to make this abundantly clear: PROBLEM SLEUTH GETS TO USE POWERS, BUT NOT THE IMAGINARY WORLD OR HIS ALLIES. He also does not get access to his whole crazy inventory, he gets what I described above. At least, that's what I suggest. I don't run this contest. If we are going to use the imaginary world, then all characters get to be briefed on it. With proper knowledge, Mustang could easily best Problem Sleuth in imagination. But it shouldn't even come to that.

How many times do I have to say this. PS powers do not only work with friends. Yes he used them to kill the BBEG. But can you honestly say that Roy can kill PS's BBEG by himself?
I am NOT saying his powers only work with friends. But without his friends, I don't think his powers are enough. And Roy's killed a lot of things that are supposedly impossible to kill, I wouldn't put it past him.

If you are going to denie him basic access to to basic equipment like elf tears than I must ask for Roys hands. Really uses that stuff like a mage uses mana or a gun fighter uses shells. You would not take ether away from them. Or take all flames away from Roy.
Elf tears are not "basic equipment" he got them rather far into the adventure. I say he gets what he had near the beginning, plus the stuff for Death's scythe, and no more. I think I'm being pretty lenient here, don't you?

It is pretty god damn funny that you think PS is all Deus Ex Machina. He has some but no more than most main char. Or did he not spend like ten chapters in one fight?
You're joking, right? You must be. Almost all of Problem Sleuth is a string of coincidences and Xanatos Gambits leading to crazy and supposedly impossible outcomes. Not to mention Problem Sleuth wasn't even good enough to do it on his own--he consulted the strategy guide for certain parts.

And as you say PS is a main char... just like everybody in this Fight to the Death, therefor they can not use "Main chars always win"
Exactly. And the "Main characters always win" rule was pretty much the fuel Problem Sleuth ran on.

PS: PS is not only invincible when in his fort but he only uses it for just the start, after a bit he always uses his real body in the dream land.
Burn down the fort. Pretty damn simple. The only reason nobody attacked him in his fort is because the characters were too insane to recognize how flimsy it was.

Ummm he beats people up and gets the nector? Anyway he does not need it to kill Roy.
There's nobody to beat up in that time. Therefore no pang nectar. And even WITH it he couldn't kill Roy.

Also only ONE move uses HD One. Stop confusing all of his moves for two moves.
You insult me on a technicality, and then make the above rant. That's pretty funny to me.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 05:48:34 pm by CJ1145 »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The weasel king is a bit useless in this fight... he's only good for Final Flip Out, which doesn't help against a foe without tangible health bars. But I do agree that he should have a good supply of the items that fuel his abilities. Pang Nectar on the other hand I would think he would need to regain at the start of the fight, mainly because each comb is one use only, and can't ever be recharged. Not to mention that the raves are not specific to PS. Roy could use it just as easily if he got to the thing that holds the combs(I can't remember what it's called). And it would have to be nearby.

I still think sepulcritude should be banned. It's a suicide(mostly) attack that could destroy just about anything after the insane amount of preparation that went into using it. If he can use that it's like an "I win" button for every fight.

... so... you really are saying the most powerful move in the game is useless because he does not have health bars? That is like me saying Roy can not hurt PS because he is immune to fire. Roy can not use the combs because there is no jar for him, nice try. As for sepulcritude yes I do not think we will be using it much because then PS will just be kicked out. Maybe on the last battle.

Crazy

I... I am not sure what to say about that. You constantly misunderstand how the PS universe works and totally misrepresent... like everything...

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile

I... I am not sure what to say about that. You constantly misunderstand how the PS universe works and totally misrepresent... like everything...

The logic of the PS universe is insane. There is no way around it. Everyone involved is insane. It makes for fantastic comedy-noir, but when you get down to it the only reason they win is because the writer wills it. If this were Spades Slick, he might have a chance because he tends to be evilly clever. But Problem Sleuth, skilled as he is, simply can NOT win this fight.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile

The logic of the PS universe is insane.

So we can disregard the way the PS universe works just because it is insane?
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile

The logic of the PS universe is insane.

So we can disregard the way the PS universe works just because it is insane?

I didn't say that, you guys keep putting words in my mouth. Fucking stop that.

I merely gave it a fitting adjective: INSANE. Even taking the logic of his own universe at face value, given the restrictions of this contest a one on one fight between Problem Sleuth and Roy Mustang would result in a win for Roy.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile

... so... you really are saying the most powerful move in the game is useless because he does not have health bars? That is like me saying Roy can not hurt PS because he is immune to fire. Roy can not use the combs because there is no jar for him, nice try. As for sepulcritude yes I do not think we will be using it much because then PS will just be kicked out. Maybe on the last battle.
Final flip out allowed PS to attack health bars, apart from that it was no different from "normal" sepulcritude. Also, I was under the impression EVERYONE present at the time got a jar. Why else would Demonhead Mobster-something have one?

Not, if this were in either setting there would be no contest: In a fort Roy shoots him, in a window, roy unplugs it, calling ever stronger monsters, in reality it's over in a second. I'm assuming all of PS's imaginary powers work, even though he isn't in the imaginary world.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The logic of the PS universe is insane. There is no way around it. Everyone involved is insane. It makes for fantastic comedy-noir, but when you get down to it the only reason they win is because the writer wills it.

JUST LIKE IN FULL METAL ALCHEMIST! HOW IS MAGIC "RESTRUCTURING OF ELEMENTS" IN ANYWAY SANE?

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile

The logic of the PS universe is insane. There is no way around it. Everyone involved is insane. It makes for fantastic comedy-noir, but when you get down to it the only reason they win is because the writer wills it.

JUST LIKE IN FULL METAL ALCHEMIST! HOW IS MAGIC "RESTRUCTURING OF ELEMENTS" IN ANYWAY SANE?

At least the people Roy fights are operating under the same rules. You're slowly devolving into flinging insults here and it worries me that this will devolve into a flame war. I've given my reasons on why Roy would win and you're resorting to pursuing technicalities.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 26, 2010, 06:08:04 pm »

I think you're both giving your side unfair advantages... ::)
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 66