Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About to pour some magma and water down a tunnel of hidden fun stuff (spoilers).  (Read 1082 times)

Iron Galaxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But I don't know quite how I should do it. i've never successfully mixed magma and water before (I've never really tried) it just turns to obsidian and blocks everything up. I want to try to kill as many demons as possible, I suppose.

Specifically my problem is this. I'm pouring both the water and magma through fortifications carved into the rock. Does is matter if i pour the water and the opposite side to the magma? will it mix? should i just pour the water in at a higher level directly over the magma?

thanks for any help.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You should try to mix them before they fall into the pit, that way I believe you might end up with falling obsidian wall tiles, which is probably the only way to kill demons like this.  But even then something will probably happen to simply stop up the tube, whether by cave-in or obsidian crystallization.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

When magma and water meet, they form solid obsidian.  If the obsidian is adjacent to any walls or floors or fortifications, it will stick in place and not fall, clogging up your drop tube.  You will need to either switch the flows on and off so you're never dropping both magma and water at the same time, or drop them out of different tubes so they meet somewhere below.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Iron Galaxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OH ok thanks. such a pain that it sticks to the sides.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile

I think that falling obsidian (or falling walls in general) won't stick to walls after they start falling: ie. walls prevent cave-ins, but they don't stop them. Thus, if you form your obsidian above any wall (contained between raised bridges would work fine if I'm right) or floor (bridges again, I guess) you can drop blocks to your heart's content.
Well, until the beasties get you or a tree blocks the water pipe or something.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If a tree blocks the water pipe then you're safe. HFS can't go past a tree either.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

but they can still go through the magma pipe.

Have cave-in stoppers(natural wall falls across passageway, from sealed room directly above, best through the floor of said room) above both pipelines and all access-ways just in case some of them can get through fortifications.

Alternatively, accept your fate at the hands of the happy fun stuffs or face the fury of their lag as they all repeatedly try to path to your dwarves even though they can't. You'd think it entirely possible to code that each one try to path a few times, then only retry it once a minute/every other minute/10k ticks until they actually find a route, THEN follow it until they can't, repeat. This would work even better if only one of them is allowed to make pathing attempts to your dwarves while everyone else idles, until it succeeds, then goon swarm you, stopping if the path suddenly breaks/you sent them a kitten. Then again that probably isn't possible, or it would have been done.

it's bloody unplayable, even with only 10-20 dwarves, little to no other creatures, and a very very tiny fortress, it takes 5 seconds for even the hfs to move a tile, when they HAVE access to you. They're supposed to be nigh-invincible monsters with claws and stuff, not beings of pure processor-murder.

And if you want to wage war on your computer too, breed 200 cats and throw them in there, reportedly they'll breed faster than they are killed, and sometimes they spontaneously become awesome warriors and kill something bigger than them. Be prepared for tantrum spirals as the cats adopt people while being killed. I also like how the local wildlife fairs better against them than your highly-trained, well-armed soldiers in strategically advantaged positions, even though they should be very easy for the hfs to kill. It's like rock paper scissors, dorfs>animals>hfs>dorfs. My dorfs manage -15 hfs kills, elk birds and crundles get +5, I have +30~ animal kills vs idiots getting eaten by crundles/stairway birds, damn they love sunlight.

ok, I'm done blurting out things that couldn't possibly help you. except the animals thing, that could be useful. Fear the crundles that disperse when you approach but the one you catch still manages to rip your head off, invincible monsters!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile

Well, you are breaking into hell, so you should expect divine punishment for unleashing endless demonic hordes upon the good people of the world. It's just that instead of, say, plague, locusts, or bolts of divine lightning, the entire universe slows down to torture you into repenting.