Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Upright spikes no longer train armor user?  (Read 1521 times)

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Upright spikes no longer train armor user?
« on: July 20, 2010, 02:04:30 pm »

So I read a while back that upright spikes set to repeat will help to train armor user. I've been using on forts for a while now with no ill effects. Swap up to .10 and continue with my plan, I armor all of my soldiers and xbow dwarves then link up the spikes and set the lever to repeat station my dwarves in my specially designed air locked room to keep my civies out. Soldiers move in stand around I swap z levels to start working on something else. All of a sudden I see purple announcements urist mcdead has been impaled ect ect. I instantly hit the r button and see that the wooden spikes are penetrating my iron/steel clad dwarves effortlessly and absolutely raping them. I went from 15 melee soldiers and 10 xbow soldiers to about 3 melee and 2 xbow ready for battle.  :'( :-[

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Upright spikes no longer train armor user?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 02:08:23 pm »

LOL!

Harshest boot camp ever!  :P

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 02:27:46 pm »

Apparently, if dwarves had a drill sargent he would probably scream something along the lines of only pussies elves get impaled and to suck it up and get back into the room.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 02:30:54 pm by gopa4 »

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 02:34:17 pm »

Yep, pointy things seem very dangerous in .10.  Makes me want to train some guys in spears.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 02:35:16 pm »

This thread made me lol.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 02:52:10 pm »

After this incident I'm almost considering changing me sword, axe, and hammer dwarfs into spear dwarves.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 02:55:23 pm »

Well, time to line the entire entrance of the fort with repeating spikes for fun.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 02:55:37 pm »

Spears are quite effective. They're a good generalist weapon. Not good against non-living things, but if it can bleed a spear can kill it easily.

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 03:08:04 pm »

Fun fact, most of the war cats and dogs assigned to them are still crawling around hemoraging blood but not dying. There a constant reminder of that horrible hilarious Fun day.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 03:31:07 pm »

Have you tried it when they're wearing *adamantine loincloths*? It might be the problem there.
Is the damage different between them falling onto a spike and one shooting up under them?

Spears are quite effective. They're a good generalist weapon. Not good against non-living things, but if it can bleed a spear can kill it easily.
Internal organs, actually. Possibly external ones, too.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

RabidRabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 04:45:47 pm »

Pointy things like spikes and arrows are only good against your dwarves because of their ridiculous armor penetration.  Axes and swords are still by far the best for your military because they do more damage normally, and no unmodded hostile in fortress mode has armor that can deflect any steel weapon anyway.

I use wooden training spears for my trapped training rooms, and they're still as harmless as ever.

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 05:32:53 pm »

I second wooden training spears. I just embarked with seven completely untrained dwarves with the [SPEED:0] tag, just to test things, and after building a small training room watched with amazement as all of my armed dwarves went to Professional or better level in only a few days with their weapons, and Legendary with Fighter skill. They can even sleep on the training spears without dying, and none of my dwarves were armored beyond the clothes they had brought with them! The worst wounds I saw were yellow ones, and dwarves that didn't have weapons were pretty bad at gaining experience, only reaching competent in most cases.

In the future, a training room is going to be a feature of my fortresses. By setting carpentry workshops to only accept dabbling carpenters, I should be able to get all the crappy quality training spears I need to train incredible warriors in less than a month game time.
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 05:45:01 pm »

How odd, maybe its because my carpenters were so proficient at there jobs? I do have two legendary carpenters. I'm fairly sure that all I used was wood too, let me check. Seems I let two exceptional quality iron spears slip in and a decent quality steel spear, dang. But still thats only three spears out of like 20 traps, admittedly I did triple the spears in each trap thinking it would triple the training speed. I guess I'll just go back and make them single spear traps again and make sure that they only contain wood.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 05:47:38 pm by gopa4 »

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 05:48:31 pm »

Were you making wooden menacing spikes? Those are actually painful, while training spears are blunt type weapons and will only bruise/break dwarves, and even then only on a lucky hit.
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 05:50:56 pm »

...blast. I did make menacing spikes. I didn't think they made a difference. Now this thread belongs in the *facepalm* thread. Well those dwarves certainly had fun. Now I have a blood bath that could have been avoided.
Pages: [1] 2