Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you deal with your OCD Fortress design tendencies?  (Read 958 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
How do you deal with your OCD Fortress design tendencies?
« on: July 20, 2010, 12:49:42 pm »

If you're like me, you want everything to be "perfect."

That one imperfection screws it up for you. Even if you can fix it with a constructed wall, you still can't seem to ever engrave over that wall. This room is slightly cockeyed or left of center, etc etc. Symmetry is also something I seem to hear people obcess over.

Strangely I loose interest in a fort when something doesn't go according to plan and bugs just freak me out in my strange little OCD way. The military annoys me to no end. Keep in mind I am not complaining, but rather seeking advice on how to deal with this from a personal standpoint.

How do you deal with it?

I've considered designing "organic forts." I don't seem to know how to measure such a thing as to when a room is big enough or where it should be positioned relative to other rooms, etc etc. Does anyone make those kinds of forts and if so how do you do it.

I think my OCD is sort of ruining this great game for me. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Truean.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you deal with your OCD Fortress design tendencies?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 01:02:10 pm »

I just try to go with it. Adapt and just build things organically. The map is also very, very huge particularly when you take into account all of those Z levels. You can keep on digging out new areas. Don't like a series of rooms you just dug? Turn them into storage or tombs. Make them into a zoo where captured goblins can roam around.

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 01:59:15 pm »

Simple, really. I fully revamp my usual fortress design or scrap it entirely. Recently, I've started a fort that uses the first cavern as a main focus area. I build rooms into the sides, fish in the lakes (even if nothing gets caught), and farm in the mud. It's sorta like carving stuff out in the soil, but you're already 17 z layers under.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, this tends to happen from bad fortress design:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 02:05:11 pm by Nobbins »
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 02:07:38 pm »

What is your entrance way design for a cavern fort like that, especially given that crossbows are still bugged as hell?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 02:39:50 pm »

What is your entrance way design for a cavern fort like that, especially given that crossbows are still bugged as hell?

Well, honestly, just a bunch of old 40d caves. (the ones that connect cavern to surface) However, they do make pretty great places for traps, so I do plan to trap them soon.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.