Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Floor for dummies!?  (Read 1144 times)

Eich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Floor for dummies!?
« on: July 20, 2010, 04:35:30 am »

Greets,

Is there a way to create a buildable floor ontop of water without draining it? Fe on rivers? If I'm right then a floor will fill a tile when there was no open space under the tile. Unfortunatly water is "something" under the floor. I may have to drain it or redirect the river?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 04:40:41 am by Eich »
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.

Urist McArtStudent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Floor for dummies!?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 04:46:09 am »

When you see the river at ground level it's actually "open space". The water is on the z-level below. If you have a river that freezes in winter you'll see this at work: the top of the river becomes an ice floor that dwarves can walk on, while the z-level below is filled with ice walls.

tl;dr yes you can build floors on rivers at ground level. You just can't build floors UNDER water.

(You CAN also build floors on top of natural floors, i.e. cover up that nasty microcline you just dug out with nice obsidian blocks. As long as the tile does not have a construction, 2/7 fluid or another misc object on, you can build on it.)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 05:05:11 am »

even better - when river freezes (winter in temperate or colder), channel and dig out a section, and replace it with walls which also can be walked over... instant dam, with multiple uses (power, trap, irrigation and so on)
This is a blank sig.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 12:18:58 pm »

If I'm right then a floor will fill a tile when there was no open space under the tile.

I don't quite know what you mean by this, but I'm pretty sure it's wrong.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!