Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The dumbest thing I've ever done.  (Read 873 times)

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
The dumbest thing I've ever done.
« on: July 19, 2010, 11:12:23 pm »

Okay, so I just started a fort. bout 50% of it is a giant river system, covered with murky pools. Luckily, it was all frozen, since it was a freezing biome, afterall. So I get to work, trying to dam the river up, and then the entire river unthaws and kills 6 of my dwarves, the wagon, most of the supplies, and most of the animals.

Luckily, the Trader was off doing something else, so he survived, with a few barrels of food and a battle axe.

This is going to be fun. :3
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
Re: The dumbest thing I've ever done.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 11:16:08 pm »

I went through 20 some forts before I learned you can make chairs out of things other than wood.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 11:17:21 pm »

Did your picks go down?  Hope you like building cabins.

BTW I think the thread "Facepalm moments you've had" is for posts like this one, just to keep things clean.

Good luck, hopefully you get a migrant miner.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 11:19:09 pm »

Yeah, sorry. I'm just used to posting a new topic when something comes up. I need to get out of that habit.

He was apparently holding one of the pickaxes though.

But yeah, I love stupid moments. ^^ Keeps things fresh.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 11:20:00 pm »

After having had that happen to me a couple times, the first thing I do when I embark and see snow is to pause and look beneath the wagon and if there is water I set up a meeting area and some stockpiles away from the wagon on safe ground, command the wagon to be deconstructed, then unpause and hope the dwarves are fast enough XD

As for my stupid, well sheesh there are so many... hmm lets see, the most recent one was when I decided I would go for a challenge fort and embark on a terrifying mountain using embark anywhere with nothing but 1 pick and dig down to the caverns right off to get my food/wood/water.  Unfortunately after I embarked and went to start digging I realised that I spent all my time setting up my dwarves skills and forgot the pick...
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 11:36:35 pm »

I'll lock this topic, to prevent any... derailment from the facepalm thread. o.o I'll just go repost my opening post over there, and if anybody wants to comment on it, go ahead.