Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Poisoning Ammo with FB venom.  (Read 993 times)

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
Poisoning Ammo with FB venom.
« on: July 19, 2010, 08:56:55 pm »

We know that sometimes, we get Forgotten Beasts with blood that makes Urist McUnlucky's eyes asplode. I know that it's been exploited, in conjunction with the current contaminant behavior, to create fields of poison in front of your fort that attackers (or merchants, whatever) wander through. What if, after killing said forgotten beast, you dumped some of your ammo in a pool of its entertainingly poisonous blood and assigned that ammo to a marksdorf squad or your hunters?

Worst case scenario, the poison does nothing.

Best case scenario, you have a squad of dwarves that have been affected by the poison coating on their ammo shooting at enemies that will then be affected by the poisonous coating on their ammo. So, eyeless marksdwarves shooting at a squad of soon-to-be eyeless gobbos. Not saying it has to be eye asploding venom. Any venom usable this way would do.

Has anyone done anything like this before?

Has it worked?

Since the appropriate forgotten beasts are few and far between, I'd like to politely request that anyone who reads this try to do it and post results. I've yet to encounter an appropriate FB, and the HFS works too quickly for me to properly exploit.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 09:05:14 pm by Angry Bob »
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Poisoning Ammo with FB venom.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 09:30:28 pm »

Worst case scenario, the poison does nothing.
Wouldn't worst case be your nobles going to move the blood-soaked ammo and getting afflicted with eye-asplosionitis.

No wait, that would be the best case scenario.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 09:37:44 pm »

Urist McNoble cancels carry ammo: eyes have exploded.

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 02:33:31 am »

You can use a venom covered corpse as an improvised weapon in adventure mode without getting it on yourself, but crossbow bolts don't seem to work that way.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 03:31:56 am »

It'll probably be a while until we get to use the alchemist shop to poison weapons and mix antidotes =P
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 12:35:36 pm »

No, the point is not waiting for poisoning at the alchemist's shop, but to improvise a poison applicator now. And if you get a squad of Plague Marine-esque marksdwarves out of it, so much the better.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 12:42:01 pm »

Would this work for fire as well?

I think it would be fun to shoot flaming arrows.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 12:48:59 pm »

Wouldn't worst case be your nobles going to move the blood-soaked ammo and getting afflicted with eye-asplosionitis.

If we disregard game mechanics (like the fact that nobles do no work other than pulling levers), we can do all sorts of crazy shit!

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 01:01:29 pm »

Would this work for fire as well?

I think it would be fun to shoot flaming arrows.

I don't know. That why I want help. See how people go about it. Here's what I'm doing:

If an appropirate FB shows up, kill it, if possible. It's not exactly something you can design a fort around doing, because you've no guarantee of the proper beast showing up. Quarantine anyone who steps in the poisonous blood(burrows in the bottom of some mine shaft I'll never use again), restrict areas to prevent more contamination, and then make a dump zone in the pool of blood. What I believe will happen is the guys who dump it will get poisoned, whatever, I've got another wave of migrants next spring. Then, you've got to get your marksdorfs to carry them. What I expect will happen here is that if it's a horrific enough venom, they'll never see combat, since they'll just go to rest after handling the tainted ammo. Is there any way to circumvent this?
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD