Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bog iron and peat as a (low-grade) energy source?  (Read 1175 times)

TaintedMustard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bog iron and peat as a (low-grade) energy source?
« on: July 19, 2010, 07:51:02 pm »

This one shouldn't be too difficult, actually. Historically, iron found in bogs, especially peat bogs, was an important source of iron for Iron Age cultures. The Vikings, for instance, actually forged a great deal of their equipment from iron collected from bogs. Today, peat is also used as a source of fuel. Peat is actually an early stage of coal. We're talking geological time for coal to form, of course, but peat is just an accumulation of decaying organic matter, which makes it a fairly dense source of energy. Either one of these things could be implemented into the game.

This isn't hugely important, of course, but it would help to make up for some of the things that you lose out on when you start near a wetland area.

AxiumCog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bog iron and peat as a (low-grade) energy source?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 07:55:17 pm »

maybe compress peat into bricks at a peat press then use the bricks as a fuel source for other industry?

something similar might be implemented for plants in general. after all, collect enough kindling and you can build a decent fire right?

TaintedMustard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 10:13:22 pm »

That's true, of course, but peat is special in that almost all of the work has already been done, both for ToadyOne and for the dwarves themselves. All it would require is for peat to leave behind material that can be processed, like minerals do. Needless to say, dried peat, like dried wood, should also be a significant fire hazard, but that won't really become relevant until fire becomes a more common phenomenon.

Bog iron, though, is something separate from simply finding iron deposits within soil, and would require that water be able to be impregnated with something that can be harvested. It would be like an activity zone for sand collection, except the dwarves would be collecting small amounts of iron ore. Sand is infinite, though, and iron shouldn't be.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 10:35:32 pm »

I guess all you really need to do, though, is turn peat into a stone that can be mined, and then make the reaction to turn peat into either coke or charcoal. 

Sand is infinite, though, and iron shouldn't be.

Exactly, iron shouldn't be infinite... except when it is.

Seriously, though, what this requires seems to be a geothermal spring, not exactly a "bog", so it seems like it requires something that doesn't even exist in the game in its current state...  Even if we fudge it a little, and say that underground lakes are iron-bearing water sources, and force players to only be able to do iron extraction from water contiguous to the underground lake (sort of like salinated water), we'd basically just be giving out free iron from the process.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 12:03:02 am »

It's been suggested before.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

TaintedMustard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 12:05:39 am »

It's been suggested before.

Ah-ha. Well, that's an old post and I didn't see anything on the Wiki that suggested this was even being considered. Still, I apologize. I'll search for it next time.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 01:28:35 am by TaintedMustard »

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 02:54:33 am »

Peat might become more relevant if heating and cooking start requiring fuel and cold winters actually exist. The game has some serious issues generating areas between temperate and permafrost.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 03:16:03 pm »

Peat might become more relevant if heating and cooking start requiring fuel and cold winters actually exist. The game has some serious issues generating areas between temperate and permafrost.

At that point, players will just start making "magma kitchens", and will have magma channels run through the floors to heat their homes, rather than have to worry about the absurdly large amounts of wood and coal and peat that would require, especially since peat wouldn't even really be a renewable resource, anyway.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 03:39:40 pm »

At that point, players will just start making "magma kitchens", and will have magma channels run through the floors to heat their homes, rather than have to worry about the absurdly large amounts of wood and coal and peat that would require, especially since peat wouldn't even really be a renewable resource, anyway.

Thou conceivable when Toady One starts implementing magma cooling issues (namely, magma start losing heat rock and slowly solidify when far away from "semi-molten rock").
No more storing magma forever.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 06:17:27 pm »

Thou conceivable when Toady One starts implementing magma cooling issues (namely, magma start losing heat rock and slowly solidify when far away from "semi-molten rock").
No more storing magma forever.

That just means we have to build pump stacks that will produce a continuous lava flow...
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 12:49:54 am »

Seems like magma would make the area too hot to actually inhabit.

Tiphareth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 07:50:44 am »

Seems like magma would make the area too hot to actually inhabit.

So you build a heat cistern and run water past it, nice boiling water delivered straight to your dwarves. This is ofcourse when heat exchange actually works.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 10:02:54 am »

Thermal exchange... ugh, more stuff to make your computer laaaaaaaag.

But yea, I think the problem with bog iron is that it would be an infinite source of iron, or else it would be a pitiful source of iron. It would be very hard to draw the line, darn near impossible imo.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 10:08:21 am »

The Genesis mod ( http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=52988.0;topicseen )
has bog iron (50% chance to get iron bar from ore) and peat that can be made into charcoal.

There is no need to stick to pure vanilla DF when Toady has enabled modding.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884