Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapon "decorations"  (Read 1076 times)

NightS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weapon "decorations"
« on: July 19, 2010, 04:18:30 pm »

I thik it would be better if weapons included an additional kind of "decorations" adding strength or accuracyto them. For example: This is an steel axe. It has a hardened edge and a perfectly equilibrated grip. It is encircled with band of "put your favourite material here".

Post your suggestions, mine are:

Hardened edge (weapon acts like if it was made of a material with slightly lower shear elasticity and impact elasticity)
Equilibrated grip (adds skill to dwarf or faster swing)
Lenghtened edge (weapon acts like if it had a larger contact area)
Weighted head (for blunt weapons, they act like if they were heavier than they are adding noly, say 1/10 of the bonus weight to the weapon)

(This is my first post and im not a native speaker so plz forgive my faults :))

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon "decorations"
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 07:26:18 pm »

Some of those are good for custom weapons

Others you put there seem more like "Isn't that the point" such as the Equilibrated grip. To my knowledge you are always supposed to do that. The Edge also seems like a "You should be doing that anyway"

Longer edges and adding weight however is more like it.

On a side note: I am noticing a lot of non-native speakers. I am starting to wonder if some people, not you NightS, are faking it so people don't mention their spelling.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 07:43:28 pm »

Couldn't you just impute it to something non-sinister, like DF expanding beyond an English user-base?

After all, I'm not a native English speaker either. I speak in tongues.

Also, the balanced grip thing - that seems like something all weapons should have, except ones of poor quality.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 09:07:06 pm »

"Couldn't you just impute it to something non-sinister, like DF expanding beyond an English user-base?"

I see it everywhere not just here.

Hmm other then weight and length I guess width would be another one. Decrease the overall weight of a weapon in favor of a strong piercing effect.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 09:50:18 pm »

"Couldn't you just impute it to something non-sinister, like DF expanding beyond an English user-base?"

I see it everywhere not just here.

Hmm other then weight and length I guess width would be another one. Decrease the overall weight of a weapon in favor of a strong piercing effect.

Maybe someone told the foreigners about the internet.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 12:19:07 am »

Well, take a look at the Champions page.

I don't think anyone would have a reason to lie there and on the list there's quite a few non-English countries.
Especially Nordic countries, Germany and Netherlands seem to be well represented...
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 01:04:12 am »

Besides, the trend seems to be that non-English speakers have fewer errors than anyone else, I always see a perfectly worded post followed by an apology for not knowing the language.

Back on topic, it seems to me that this sort of thing is what makes the difference between a masterwork steel blade and what Urist McUseless made as he was walking by.  It does seem like a wonderful idea for custom balancing weapons though.  It seems related to another idea floating around about being able forge a lead warhammer with an adamantine shell.  It would fit in well when that gets added.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 06:45:12 am »

I do think that a few additional things could be added to the weapons aswell as maybe making weapons a bit more unique without them beeing artifacts.

And yes i'm non-english speaker...
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 06:01:30 pm »

OK edge Hardening should quality thing higher quality better edge.note that a masterwork weapon will have the maximum edge for the material.
Equilibrated grip,Weighted head are built in to the weapons design and quality.
Lenghtened edge the length of a blade can only go down bar reforging it.

there are other ways to make a weapon better,I.E. a war hammer with a spring powered spike in the haft?
a dagger with spring powered blade traps?
a twist out pommel spike?

non-English speakers do seem to take more time over there posts.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 02:34:27 am »

On that subject maybe high quality weapons could have descriptions about why they are so great. The problem with that however is that it would require some sort of body for weapons. It wouldn't be soo bad but I am not sure it is really needed.

I am trying to think of optional alterations you could also do to a weapon that are conditionally an enhancement. You could thin the blade which would make it quite a bit sharper but it would dull very quickly
-Thin Blade: Sharper but dulls fast (good for light weapons)
-Thick Blade: Resistant to wear but not as sharp (bad for light weapons)
-Hefty Pummel: The Pummel of a weapon is increased in weight, but the weapon becomes heavier and less balanced towards one end.
-Hefty Guard: The weapon is more adept at blocking, albiet it is a bit more unwieldly and heavy
-No Guard/Pummel: A weapon that would normally have a guard or pummel lacks one.
-Four Part Guard: The guard of the weapon is four parts allowing you to defend against blows from all sides
-One Edge: A normally two sided weapon has one side instead.

(On a side note: It isn't that I believe people who don't speak English don't have access to the internet, it is that I thought there would be little need for them to even want to go to an english site especially for sites like Gamefaqs.)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 01:47:12 pm »

for pole weapons and spears:
languets basicy long metal bands run down the haft from the head.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG