Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Game Preserve  (Read 508 times)

Prepaid Lenin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Game Preserve
« on: July 19, 2010, 12:40:36 pm »

I saw Predators last weekend and it was not that great, BUT, it did just give me an idea.

Instead of the usual fatal drop trap, I will make a shallower one. Next, I will wall off a huge area of the fist cavern layer. Once the goblins recover from the drop the only place they will be able to go is into the caverns where they will be hunted by my champions for sport.

First I'd need some more suggestions on things I should build in the preserve, like complicated buildings with a lot of stairs or engraved pillars and the like.

The other thing is that I need to know is if the goblins will more around the preserve if they can't path to my dwarves. I could release cows or something down there but it would be more thematic to watch the goblins figure out they are trapped before I send in a hunter. From my experience goblins tend to not move if they can't path, are there any ways to overcome this?

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Game Preserve
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 12:43:51 pm »

I think you could get them to move around artificially by creating a series of exits, and then opening one, the goblins will path to it, you close it and open another one. This is hardly what you seem to be looking for, but apart from animals or something else for them to chase, seem about it.
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 12:45:06 pm »

Goblins which can't reach either a target or an exit do wander around randomly.  I have a handful of goblins and trolls trapped in an isolated part of the caverns under my fortress after a recent siege, and they can't get out, but do wander around somewhat.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 12:56:22 pm »

I've already tried this with plump helmet men.

Sadly they do not breed.  :(

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 01:00:14 pm »

I usually do something like this, only with cage traps instead of a shallow drop, and nobles instead of hunters.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.