Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nothing more?  (Read 3634 times)

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
Nothing more?
« on: July 19, 2010, 03:55:40 am »

I've been hearing all these amazing tales about Adventure mode, so I generate up a new default world, and an Adventure-guide.

Within five minutes, after being ambushed by a pack of wolves and slaughtering them (and switching to wrestling to crank my shield/wrestling stats up to legendary), I'm slaughtering entire towns with nothing but a bronze shortsword without getting a scratch.

After about 15 minutes, my first scratch is a little bronze bolt through my brain. So, from what I've seen:

Is Adventure mode more of a work in progress than Fortress mode? Seeing how easy it is to manipulate.

And am I going about enjoying it all the wrong way? I wandered around for the longest time trying to find something interesting, but there were only camels and buzzards and wolves and the like. :( Is there nothing more?

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing more?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 04:28:52 am »

Go and explore caverns,you might find magma.

Peasant

• Bay Watcher
  • MANY WHELPS NOW HANDLE IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 05:34:41 am »

Go and explore caverns,you might find magma.
Whenever i explore caverns i get lost for 5 hours.

GTM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 06:09:10 am »

Adventure mode is basically an extinction simulator at the moment.  You could be going from town to town getting quests from blinking leaders, but those quests basically amount to "go kill that guy... Sorry, no reward.". You can create some objectives for yourself for the fun of it, like wiping out the elven civilization, swimming across the ocean, maxing out stats, etc.

There has recently been some progress in adventurer skills and there's more to come.  Now you can butcher beasts you slay and sell the meat.  Adventurer mode is still very much a work in progress though- perhaps moreso than fortress mode.

One fun thing to do right now is to built a fort or two, let it succumb to Fun, and then explore the ruins years later as an adventurer...

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 07:23:04 am »

Make a really good sword,find the display case mod,put the case at the bottom of the cavern and steal it as an adventurer!

thekemp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 08:34:16 am »

I only tried adventure mode once, I decided i would wait till features have been more revised, This what happened.

I spawned, as per usual, I immediately talked to the quest guy in the pub with me, i asked for a quest. He told me, for no reason. to kill a dragon. i fumbled outside, worrying how creatively i was going to die. i quickly opened the menu, scrambling for controls, I used the fast travel button, and headed to the cave.

After being ambushed 4/5 times, trying to get close to the location, because i didnt know how to exit fast travel. I checked the hotkeys again. I made my way to the cavern, The dragon announced his name, (I think legends updated itself with the people it had killed) afterwhich is unloaded a fresh brew of dragonfire on me, I blocked it with my shield. I quickly headed to him and started slashing away, seemingly unable to damage it, But after a growing amount of time, His head was slashed off, with a starting character, and no experience in adventure mode whatsoever.

I turned off adventure mode then, Thinking it needed a tad updating.

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 12:17:55 pm »

Aw, that's disappointing. :( I was thinking it was developed enough to at least have some difficulty to it.

But s'good to know Toady's working on it! :D

GTM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 12:48:17 pm »

I think in one of the DF talks, they discussed the idea of starting as different kinds of adventurers.  Right now, you sort of start as an exceptional member of your civ with battle-hardened skills and good gear.  There are plans to possibly let you start as a demigod on one hand, or a humble farmer on the other.  So it sounds like it'll be possible to impose limitations on yourself that make thing like killing a dragon on your first run more difficult.

Either way, it makes for a cool story - the unwitting hero who not only survives the dragon's fire but even slays the beast.  People would argue with me, but from a literary standpoint it's nearly as believable and maybe even more interesting than the grinding seen in many stat-based games.

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 02:10:56 pm »

In an attempt to spice up Adventure mode, I've been trying to find some mods for 31.10! But I've found that's harder than I thought. :( Anyone able to point me towards some adventure mods? Or at least a mod that makes kobolds a playable race?  :-X

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 03:42:23 pm »

In an attempt to spice up Adventure mode, I've been trying to find some mods for 31.10! But I've found that's harder than I thought. :( Anyone able to point me towards some adventure mods? Or at least a mod that makes kobolds a playable race?  :-X
I think you have only to add [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE] in the kobolds entry in entity_default.txt and then they can be selected in "Play now".
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 03:44:52 pm by Jiharo »
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 03:44:04 pm »

You could try Deon's Genesis mod.  It adds alot of new features including more animals.
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 04:38:57 pm »

the mod section or some of the 31.10 release threads here have some reactions for you to spice things up.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 05:33:13 pm »

Due to the incomplete status of Dwarf Fortress (adv. mode especially), the way to get the most fun out of playing is to heavily use your imagination.
For example: I'm not just going to an old fortress to recover an artifact silver flask, I'm going to an ancient, abandoned, some would say haunted, fortress built by the mysterious dwarves. The object of my search, the Shining Flask of the Ever Young will bring eternal life and freedom from age to anyone who drinks from it, so long as they have a kind heart... and a strong sword arm.
It really is the imagination aspect that keeps the game going.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 07:07:25 pm »

I use my adventurers as movers. They grab stuff from dead fort A, drop it at dead fort B, and I reclaim fort B. All my cool stuff from my old fort in my new fort! That, and a crapload of Elf corpses and unicorn bits which all adventurers carry around (or course). I once killed my adventurer on the site and made a nice hat out of him in fortress mode (modded ethics are hilarious, too bad it doesnt work during adventurer mode itself).

Oh and you could make a mission out of catching merpeople with adventurers. Look for good oceans, start with swimming skill, return with glorious 'mutilated mermaid corpses'.

Well thats pretty much how I do my adventuring. That and the whimsical masacres.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

rat_pack40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 08:49:28 pm »

If it's difficulty you're after, you could go wrestle some Giant Desert Scorpions. Guaranteed to produce adventurer ending Fun, or with some luck and imagination, a nice tale for the adventure thread.
Pages: [1] 2