Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: For the love of God, Dwarfs need to not wall themselves in.  (Read 2119 times)

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
Re: For the love of God, Dwarfs need to not wall themselves in.
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 11:03:40 pm »

It isn't just building either.. it is deconstruction. Removing stairs sucks.

I was building a pit to dump magma in, the only way back up was a constructed staircase...

Just to be nice and clean about it I wanted to deconstruct the staircase and fix the floor... When they went to deconstruct they would go downstairs into the pit and remove the staircase, with no way to get back out of the pit. It didn't matter what floor I tried to remove the staircase from, they went downstairs to remove the stairs.

I finally just went ahead and flooded the pit with magma and after that I was able to remove the stairs..
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 11:08:35 pm »

It isn't just building either.. it is deconstruction. Removing stairs sucks.

I was building a pit to dump magma in, the only way back up was a constructed staircase...

Just to be nice and clean about it I wanted to deconstruct the staircase and fix the floor... When they went to deconstruct they would go downstairs into the pit and remove the staircase, with no way to get back out of the pit. It didn't matter what floor I tried to remove the staircase from, they went downstairs to remove the stairs.

I finally just went ahead and flooded the pit with magma and after that I was able to remove the stairs..

See the bottom half of the OP of this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61908.0

It makes little sense that we can now construct stairwells from above, but not deconstruct them from above, as well.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 11:36:48 pm »

I also noticed miasma (and probably mist, magma mist, and so on) does not spread diagonally either. Handy, but makes little sense. :P
Pages: 1 [2]