Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A discussion on the possibilities and limitations of interpersonal relationships  (Read 1605 times)

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile

Right. Loss of control makes for better stories. /mentalnote
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile

they could have a variety of emotions, each one with its own variable - such as happiness, rage, boredom, and blood-alcohol-level (this one can be either too high or will always be too low)

And thus I take my exit.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile

This is actually the way to solve it. Have all forms of unhappiness negated by drinking more alcohol, just like real life.

So if when tragedy strikes your fortress, the dwarves involved will simply drink more instead of instantly degenerating into an unstoppable tantrum spiral because good bedrooms no longer negate watching your brother get chopped into gibs.
I think they should drink less.

Many dwarves are plagued by the demon drink- water. It is an unfortunate fact that modern Dwarven society breeds wateraholics. These poor souls wake up sober, don't start drinking in the morning, and continue to not drink all day. In extreme cases, some Dwarves will drink so little as 11 shots of vodka in an entire hour. Truly, sobriety is a disease. Were it not for Sobers Anonymous, many wateraholic dwarves would simply fall through the cracks, and never get the help they need. Sobriety is a drain on their friends, their family- it drags down the entire fortress.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Tehran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Stories

This is actually the way to solve it. Have all forms of unhappiness negated by drinking more alcohol, just like real life.

So if when tragedy strikes your fortress, the dwarves involved will simply drink more instead of instantly degenerating into an unstoppable tantrum spiral because good bedrooms no longer negate watching your brother get chopped into gibs.

That... actually makes a lot of sense. To a point. Alcohol should not just be some magical happy-drink. There need to be disadvantages. Perhaps a nausea variable would increase, which would eventually cause more unhappiness than whatever happiness is cause from the drink. Otherwise dwarves would do nothing but drink all day, especially if they're programmed with some kind of an awareness of the effects of alcohol.

With alchemy and magical potions, though, one could make a drink which brings happiness with no negative side effects. Would dwarves drink nothing but that, eventually dying of hunger or lack of sleep? Could the game be programmed so that dwarves can become addicted to things and respond negatively when denied them? Reminds me of the lotus eaters or siren song...
Visit http://dfstories.com for stories!
And here's my solution for sand modeling: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58397.0
Pages: 1 [2]