Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cavern Depth in Volcanoes  (Read 666 times)

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cavern Depth in Volcanoes
« on: July 18, 2010, 11:58:39 pm »

As I have decided to end my time away from DF (in order to let bug fixes work out), I just started my second DF2010 fort (in 31.10). I found a near perfect biome for my interests.

It is a 3x3 with a volcano in the middle and a sand desert sounding all sides of it (and its still a temperate climate!). Anyway, my map is more or less in the shape of a mountain, with the pipe coming to the top like normal. My wagon started ~5 z-levels lower than the top. However, there are about 30 z-levels from the top and lowest area w/ outdoor floor tiles.

Now my question comes when I am trying to locate the first level of the underground cavern. The wiki says it is roughly 10 z-levels below ground level in default parameters (which I have). So where do I count 10 down from? The peak? My wagon location? The bottom of the mountain?

My temporary living area is on the same level as my wagon location (lets call that Z-level 0). That makes the peak level +5 and the bottom of the mountain -25ish. I dug straight down from my living area to nearly -40 and still haven't found anything yet.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Cavern Depth in Volcanoes
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 12:07:44 am »

As I have decided to end my time away from DF (in order to let bug fixes work out), I just started my second DF2010 fort (in 31.10). I found a near perfect biome for my interests.

It is a 3x3 with a volcano in the middle and a sand desert sounding all sides of it (and its still a temperate climate!). Anyway, my map is more or less in the shape of a mountain, with the pipe coming to the top like normal. My wagon started ~5 z-levels lower than the top. However, there are about 30 z-levels from the top and lowest area w/ outdoor floor tiles.

Now my question comes when I am trying to locate the first level of the underground cavern. The wiki says it is roughly 10 z-levels below ground level in default parameters (which I have). So where do I count 10 down from? The peak? My wagon location? The bottom of the mountain?

My temporary living area is on the same level as my wagon location (lets call that Z-level 0). That makes the peak level +5 and the bottom of the mountain -25ish. I dug straight down from my living area to nearly -40 and still haven't found anything yet.
It varies. You'll find it eventually, and you'll know when you do.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 12:12:50 am »

Oh yea, I've been to them before. I had a successful fort and was fairly deep into a magma sea-pump project, but I had to abandon for other reasons. I just need to find it kinda quick because I forgot about the farming and irrigation bug/new mechanic and there isn't any above ground water.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 12:14:12 am »

Oh yea, I've been to them before. I had a successful fort and was fairly deep into a magma sea-pump project, but I had to abandon for other reasons. I just need to find it kinda quick because I forgot about the farming and irrigation bug/new mechanic and there isn't any above ground water.
Nice. Assuming you didn't wreck the worldgen parameters somehow, it should be anywhere from 7-15 Z levels down.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 12:15:59 am »

Nice. Assuming you didn't wreck the worldgen parameters somehow, it should be anywhere from 7-15 Z levels down.

Well yeah. The question is 7-15 levels from where

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 12:18:08 am »

I would say the lowest surface level, if I had to make a choice. So, from what you've said, it would be between -32 and -40. That being where you've dug down to, try digging horizontally a bit. It's possibly you went right past it.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 12:22:24 am »

Will do. I am currently mining out the way I did exploratory mining in 40d (ie long hallways with two tiles in between each one). Also reveling in the 2 faint yellow diamond clusters!

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 12:43:58 am »

Update:    I found the first level... at -67 z-levels lower than the peak no less. Eventually I just got sick of waiting so I decided to try digging straight down until I hit something, most likely the magma sea. Luckily, I hit the top layer (I'm sure it is by the "benign" trees like fungiwood), and just in time for migrants.

My guess as to why the thing is so deep is because I assume that the caves are ~10 levels deep, but this volcano is so tall that my local map only contains the top half. Thus, I must dip another 30ish levels just to hit sea level.

In any event, I am going to enjoy my gradual migration of anything and everything to the lush, underground caverns!

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 01:52:52 am »

I have such a biom in my actual fort, with a huge vulcano. I made my entrance in the valley at the base of it, and i found the cavern the first year when digging few levels under the valley, its at -7 from the valley level. If i knew it was so close i would have made the fortress inside from the start, now i'm too lazy to transfert all the crap inside.