Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: 31.10 succession  (Read 7214 times)

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: 31.10 succession
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2010, 06:53:27 pm »

Except for metalsmithing, which is on -100 or so in comparison to the farms.
Yeah, and I plan on expanding that area at some point as well as building a few more forges/smelters, but it's fairly low on my list of priorities.

Edit: OKAY, WHAT THE FUCK. SOMEBODY HAS SOME EXPLAINING TO DO.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 08:47:39 pm by existent »
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2010, 08:57:12 pm »

"I don't want to listen to your stories, you old coot. Go away!" I said.

Some old dwarf had sat down beside me, and kept babbling on about some fortress he'd lived in in his youth. I for one just wanted to eat in peace.

"Oh, no, no no no no no, this story has to be told! And you're the one that has to hear it!" He ranted on.

I sighed. "Fine, alright, I'll listen, just get on with it!" I said.

"Good, good. It was the year 48- or was it 52? Anyhow, it was the year 36 and I was put in charge of a grand fortress!"

"Probably some pit in the ground," I mumbled under my breath.

"We had just run out of cassiterite for our bronze bars, and the miners were busy digging out our new barracks! No, no... that's not right, no, it was the apartments. Yes..." He trailed off for a moment. "And, I was the manager- no, the bookkeeper too- I was the manager, and I put in an order for thirty beds. Thirty dwarves, and thirty beds. Except there wasn't thirty apartments, there was only 29! Only 29! Hahahahahaha, they had no idea- the last bed was for the barracks! Thirty dwarves, thirty rooms, twenty-nine beds!"

As he started shouting, I caught a whiff of his beard and nearly choked on my sandwhich. I bet he hasn't bathed since year 48. Made sense, from the look of him he might as well be three hundred years old.

"But then, there was a ghost, you see! The ghost of the leader before me, came back from the beyooooond! He came back, back, they always come back, he came back to possess a mason!"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"But, there was no mason's workshop! The past leader had never built one! That's why he came back, don't you see it?!? He came back to make sure we built a workshop for the masons, it was his dying wish! His spirit wouldn't rest until it was completed! None of the others believed me, but I knew. Soon as it was built, he ran right over and locked himself inside!"

"He created a silver weapon rack, which was a sign as well! We were to start making silver weapons! Armok be praised, we had recieved instructions from the beyond! In a sign of his blessing, we also finished digging out the apartments in record time! All the workers were set to smoothing the stone, so it could be engraved with signs of our devotion to the gods!"

"But, the gods also saw fit to punish us for our flaws, in the form of a giant yeti!"

"If it wasn't for our weaponsmith, Fath, just happening to be standing there at the time, we would've all been doomed. The gods reward vigilence! We had to lower the bridge as soon as the yeti wandered off, because a caravan showed up to trade."

(out of character- Damn, snookered. No trade goods.)

"We didn't have much to trade with, I had only just started turning the fortress around, so we scavenged clothing off the bodies of the dead to trade with."

-----

Ummm..... what the hell? Did somebody request the shit out of food from these guys? It's literally all they brought. Lemme look- one barrel, three buckets, and....TWENTY PAGES OF FOOD. WE DON'T EVEN NEED FOOD, WE HAVE PLENTY. WHAT THE HELL. I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS, EVER.

Anyway, that's autumn, winter is now upon me. I forgot to take a screenshot of the weapon rack, I'll get it up next time I boot up the game. On a related note:
WHAT THE HELL?!? Literally TWENTY PAGES of food!

Magick

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATES_LEARN] [MAGICAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2010, 10:02:42 pm »

That would be Andfhe's orders, as i never met the dwarven caravan.

But why are you complaining? You could always have EXCESS food.
"Alright, I'll trade you these mugs, and you'll give me those -Oh. Here. Just take this. WAIT. I DID NOT MEAN TO GIVE YOU THOSE."
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9079/1278257725299.jpg

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2010, 10:04:10 pm »

Because I don't want food, but it's the only thing they brought! There's a lot I would've rather had.

Magick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2010, 10:09:23 pm »

Because I don't want food, but it's the only thing they brought! There's a lot I would've rather had.
Like what? Weapons? We can make those.
Crutches? There should be plenty of wood left outside after Andfhe deforested half the map.

Seriously. I had to forbid it all to keep those idiots inside during a yeti attack.
"Alright, I'll trade you these mugs, and you'll give me those -Oh. Here. Just take this. WAIT. I DID NOT MEAN TO GIVE YOU THOSE."

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2010, 10:25:43 pm »

Like what? Weapons? We can make those.
Crutches? There should be plenty of wood left outside after Andfhe deforested half the map.

Seriously. I had to forbid it all to keep those idiots inside during a yeti attack.
We can make more food, too. If I'm going to trade for something I don't need, I might as well have it be something harder to make.

Magick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2010, 03:26:18 pm »

Yeah, but eventually more dwarves show up. How long do you think that tiny little farm is going to last?

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2010, 03:27:18 pm »

Yeah, but eventually more dwarves show up. How long do you think that tiny little farm is going to last?
Expanding the farming area is on my long-term to-do list.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2010, 03:40:23 pm »

Imma go ahead and sign up for this, if nobody minds.

Magick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2010, 05:11:35 pm »

Lucus: I'm not the host of this one, Andfhe is, and he seems to have been offline for a while.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2010, 07:54:03 pm »

Dear mom,

Sorry I haven't been writing, I've had my hands full. There's been a baby boom!

We were all so distracted by it all, none of of noticed the yeti creeping in the front door!

Fortunately, this one is more afraid of us than we are of it. It runs off every time it gets too close, but I've got my eye on it nevertheless.
Scratch that, mom, the yeti ended up attacking one of our men after all. I had to send the militia after it.

However, the militia couldn't seem to hurt the yeti, merely chase it around. It took me a while to figure out why- they were going at it bare-handed! I shouted out to them to go grab some weapons, and by the time the did the yeti had gone. Not long after, though, a goblin snatcher was found at the gate!

Fortunately, it also escaped before anyone was hurt. Word of the baby boom must have gotten out, however, because another showed up a few days later! It, too, fled, before any damage was done.

In other news, the apartments are finally finished just in time for spring!

-----
And that's winter, pretty unexciting. I got the barracks up and running, finished the apartments, expanded the farming operations, built the kitchen, and watched the militia run around in circles all season.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2010, 09:24:38 pm »

Sorry, didn't get around to a proper write-up, so.... Spring and Summer, in pictures!

-----
State of the fortress address:
My goals were to...

1. Furnish the new living area Done.
2. Get the workshop area producing tables, chairs, doors, and barrels Done. On a related note, this fortress will never run outta wood. Ever. I made 10 axes and clear-cut.
3. Move everything downstairs (haven't started with that yet...)
4. Get our military armed with bronze weapons, and training in a barracks We didn't have as much bronze as I thought we did.... or any at all. So, silver war hammers were made, handed out, and training commenced in our new barracks (next door to our hospital-to-be).
5. Wall off the first couple floors of the current fortress, and dig a new entrance elsewhere, with better defenses (haven't started that yet either...)
6. Create a food/booze surplus We're at like 600-700 food, and around 500 booze. Done.

Magick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2010, 10:23:52 pm »

I suggest this tried-and-true method of defense.

Bonus points if you hook all the spikes up to a different lever so you can pick off survivors.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2010, 11:20:41 pm »

Lucus: I'm not the host of this one, Andfhe is, and he seems to have been offline for a while.
Ah.  I'll ask again when he comes back (if he comes back).

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2010, 07:46:37 pm »

Long night, very little sleep, so, long story short this update is going to be a little dry.

I dug, smoothed, and engraved a room at the end of the apartments, to serve as a graveyard.

In a fit of mad irony, I renamed all of our miners.

At the time I'm writing this sentance, all four of them are on break.

Lazy fucks.

I've got everyone in the fortress to be "content" or higher, with about 2/3's at "Ecstatic". However, we're stuck in a "moving item to stockpile" labor shortage. I'm leaving it for the next player.

I braved the terrors of "warm stone located" cancellations to expand our magma operations, although I'm not sure why as I'm barely using it. Oh well, I'm sure someone will eventually.

I built an above-ground farm, so we could diversify our food production. It's right on top of the old underground farms. We've got a crapload of strawberry seeds, might as well use them.

I started very base-level work on the new entrance. I dunno if it'll get finished.

About halfway through autumn, I realize I've had the population cap set at 20 the entire time I've been playing. Whoops. In anticipation of more migrants, I start expanding the apartments, but it won't last. We'll have to spill over onto another floor soon.

On the 26th of Sandstone, I disable wood hauling for all dwarfs. Moving item to stockpile problems decrease dramatically. Future leaders might want to take note of that. All your wood is outside.

A bit after that, one of the RabidRabbit's was possessed. I built a jeweler's shop for him to fuck around in, and he promptly claimed it and hauled a couple gems in there. Intrigued, I abandoned the rest of the fortress to its fate and watched him work anxiously. He kept muttering "Akrelod", which you can make of what you will. This is what he made:

I was a bit dissapointed.  The Dwarven caravan arrived right as he finished, and I thought about selling it to them. I decided against it.

Then, things got interesting.

Now, I had no intention of making our militia tango with gobbos when there were perfectly good caravan guards available, so everyone was pulled inside. Unfortunatley, the guy that discovered the ambush was too far away from the fortress, and was struck down. There was nothing I could do but watch.

Of course, ambushes always come in pairs, and some random baby found the second wave. He, uh.... well, this is not what dwarven hospitals were designed for.

I would later realize his mother was holding him, and she died also, but that's not as interesting a story.

Then, a bunch of people with no job wandered outside. Go fucking figure.

The caravan guards got their asses kicked, again, go bloody figure. Romancedarrow's bravest sons were sent to hold back the invading griblies while somebody please dear god anyone just somebody pull the lever for crying out loud please please please just pull the lever and seal the gate please PLEASE please what do you mean we won.

The above is my train of thought as events unfolded. Despite slaughtering the caravan guards, the militia (who were only dispatched to buy time for someone to seal the gate, which never happened, and of whom only two ever arrived) actually won. We lost five dwarves, including two babies.

Romancedarrow's hospitals were going to be called on to save the brave soldiers, but it was possible they'd make a full recovery. One actually managed to crawl to the hospital, while the other insisted on going to train despite having a broken leg, broken spine, and the fact that his insides had "popped out".

The good doctor set about diagnosing the crawler, and then carrying the other back to the hospital when a *expletitives redacted*  yeti decided to poke its head around and see what was up.

The militia just bloody looked at it, and it ran away pissing itself.

That was Autumn.

-----
Just at the season change somebody started tantruming, but I'm not concerned. Just one more season!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6