Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: 31.10 succession  (Read 7220 times)

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: 31.10 succession
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2010, 01:59:46 am »

So it's on me now. Should I just finish your year, and then play my full year as well?
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Magick

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATES_LEARN] [MAGICAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2010, 02:40:03 am »

That's the usual deal, unless andfhe says otherwise.
"Alright, I'll trade you these mugs, and you'll give me those -Oh. Here. Just take this. WAIT. I DID NOT MEAN TO GIVE YOU THOSE."
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9079/1278257725299.jpg

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2010, 02:41:45 am »

Cool. I'll get started on it sometime this afternoon, maybe around 2 or 3 if nothing comes up.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2010, 03:17:04 pm »

Dear mom,

My entire life, I alway knew I was destined for something great. I'm smart, talented, and motivated.

Nevertheless, every time I tried to move up in the world, I was pushed back down.

Eventually, I decided to just accept it. Then, I came to Romancedarrows, and, well.... things just stopped making sense.

I show up, axe in hand, and walk up to the expedition leader to get my assignment.

"I'm a woodcutter," I tell him, "and I have a little bit of experience in carpentry."

He made me the bookkeeper.

Then, after four people including our leader, were killed by yetis in the first year, somebody started going off about how they were the re-incarnation of Arzun, one of the dead, and that HE was leader now.

"Whatever. I'm just a bookkeeper," I told him.

Then he made me leader of the entire fortress.

You might be thinking that I'm doing pretty well for myself, leader of an entire fortress now and all, but you haven't seen this place. I hope that you never will.

I'll write again soon.

Take care,
your son.

------
got the save, still looking around to try and figure out what in the name of Armok's hairy balls is going on.

edit: Also, I shudder to think what the hell a "romanced arrow" is.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 03:20:44 pm by existent »

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2010, 03:42:15 pm »

Next time, you might want to learn the basics (considering posting images, making screenshots and using non-retarded tilesets) BEFORE you start a succession game. Just saying.
Yeah I am a bit rude sometimes.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2010, 04:13:13 pm »

Dear mom,

I got your letter; I'm glad to hear that dad is doing okay.

I, on the other hand... well, I could sure use some of that groundhog noodle soup you make.

Like I said before, I've been made leader of this place, by.... a ghost apparently. Nobody else seems to worry that, in addition to freezing temperatures, killer yetis, and unstable ice over our heads, there's A GHOST FLYING AROUND, so I guess it's best to just ignore it. You know what granddad would say.

So, I sit down at my new desk- rather, my old desk, because the previous leaders never thought to make any kind of official office building whatsoever. I sit down at my desk, and get ready to read over the note I was left.

It said one thing:

"Change the weaponsmith's name to Fath."

(Mom, don't read this next part to Dad, I don't want him worrying about me in his condition.)

I've basically lived in this office since I got here, I've got no idea what goes on around here on a daily basis. I've only gotten to know three people since I got here.

The first leader, who got so many of us killed by yetis. Mom, it was horrifying. I have the blood of other dwarves stained in my clothing.

Then, the second leader, also a GHOST FOR ARMOK'S SAKE, turned out to have tourettes, of all the people to put in a leadership position, why him?!?!

And third, Melbil. I haven't told you about her yet, but we're in love! She's a really nice girl, I know you'd like her. Maybe someday you can meet her. She's the only thing that keeps me going anymore.

So, needless to say, I had to go figure out what goes on outside my office. I walk out the door, and the first thing I see is a miner walking by with a fracture in each of her hands!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I walk down the hallway, and I hear a bunch of noise coming from down there, so I decide to go check it out. About 20 stories down, there's a farm which appears to be doing pretty well for itself, although we've got more than enough food right now.

I ask him what's down the other staircase, and he tells me he doesn't know, so I start down. I got about 30 stories further underground without seeing a single thing, so I decided it couldn't be worth it, and went back up.

I walk out from the stairs, and my jaw drops.

Apparently, the workers had just been told to drop everything in one big pile!!! As much as it hurts my head, this is just one thing I'm not going to mess with. It would take years to clean up this mess.

Next to that, I see a long, narrow passageway, and start walking down it.

Down the stairs is another passage.

The staircase leading down evidently goes nowhere.

And the staircase leading up takes me to what must have been our old farm.

Once I had gotten a good feel for the shape of the fortress, I decided to get to know the people a little better. Bad idea.

For starters, we've got two miners with the same name, one of whom is also our MILITIA COMMANDER. Who planned this stuff out?

Half our workforce is either "on break" or unemployed.

So that's the state of things. We've got an entire fortress of unemployed slackers, long hallways that lead to nowhere, staircases that don't stop after dropping 50 stories, ghosts, yetis, no military barracks, one single stockpile for storing everything but the dead, of which there are many. As a matter of fact, the offices where I work aren't even done right- none of them have doors, and most of them are just bedrooms! Seven bedrooms, for THIRTY-ONE DWARVES. And, we've got NO BOOZE.

-----
I haven't even unpaused the game yet, and this is already horrifying.

Magick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2010, 04:49:06 pm »

Ahahaha, i love it already.
Also, the note thing about Fath was out of character.
"Alright, I'll trade you these mugs, and you'll give me those -Oh. Here. Just take this. WAIT. I DID NOT MEAN TO GIVE YOU THOSE."

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2010, 05:07:41 pm »

Ahahaha, i love it already.
Also, the note thing about Fath was out of character.
I know. I just thought it would be funny if the only documentation I was left was that instruction.

Magick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2010, 06:24:02 pm »

Oh, and about the underground thing: That's my project to pierce to the magma, which succeeded. Check the (h)otkeys menu for more info on that. The project also ended in giving us an endless supply of water.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2010, 06:28:21 pm »

Dear mom,

I read your letter, and I'm taking your advice to heart.

I've assigned our miners to dig out a completely new living area, which is my first priority in office. I'm putting it near the farms in the cavern, and I hope to move most, if not all of our operations to that area at some point.

I do hate caverns ever so much. They're so unorganized.

On the floor below our farms and new bedrooms, I've designated an area to serve as a dining hall next door to a new kitchen, as we are in desperate need of booze production. Across the hall is going to be our new dedicated food storage, as our current stockpile is 19 stories above the farms.

Our miners were busy excavating a room very deep underground, but as no one seemed to know what it was for, I told them to discontinue work on it and focus on our new housing/eating areas.

I heard that we have a fledgeling metal industry below- which it seems is what was at the bottom of that deep staircase- and I dropped in to see what was being made. They were currently smelting gold ore, but told me we had silver, malachite, galena, sphalerite, cassiterite, and tetrahedrite ores available as well. After spending a good five minutes looking all of those up, I told the smelter to start makig bronze bars instead.

Hopefully, that way we can properly arm our underfunded militia.

My next course of action was to fix our booze shortage. After setting some barrels to be produced, and some booze made to fill them, I went back downstairs to oversee the excavating of our new housing. I instructed the miners to dig out a new industrial floor as well, so we can get some proper workshops built. I also had a large area dug to try and relocate some goods from the mess of a storage room upstairs.

This might be the last time I write you for a while mom, it looks like I'm going to too busy running this fortress to get any time to myself.

Yours,
existent

-----
I still haven't unpaused the bloody game yet, I'm terrified what this fortress looks like in motion. And I'm not even going to -try- digging into the labor assignments, I'd rather a goblin siege shove a giant olm up my ass than deal with that. I've completely given up on getting this place in working order, all I can do is try to keep it in one piece for whoever's next. Hopefully they can finish what I start. My goals are simple:
1. Furnish the new living area,
2. Get the workshop area producing tables, chairs, doors, and barrels
3. Move everything downstairs
4. Get our military armed with bronze weapons, and training in a barracks (armor is out of the question- that'll be up to whoever is next)
5. Wall off the first couple floors of the current fortress, and dig a new entrance elsewhere, with better defenses
6. Create a food/booze surplus

If I can achieve those six points, I'll retire a happy dwarf.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:31:50 pm by existent »

Magick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2010, 06:36:45 pm »

I'm terrified what this fortress looks like in motion. And I'm not even going to -try- digging

Like a bunch of yeti's gobbling down the corpses of dwarves.

I still haven't unpaused the bloody game yet,

That image seems to state the opposite.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2010, 06:37:34 pm »

What do you mean?

Magick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2010, 06:39:41 pm »

Wait a min...
fuuuuu
I mistook that as a screen of a miner digging when i realized that it was off of the main staircase, which can't go deeper.

Edit: That room they were digging before you started was probably going to be an expansion on the metalworking industry.
Or the dungeon master's room.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2010, 06:41:19 pm »

Wait a min...
fuuuuu
I mistook that as a screen of a miner digging when i realized that it was off of the main staircase, which can't go deeper.
Yeah, everything is now off that main staircase.

If you think of the farm as being level 0, then housing is on level 0, kitchen and stuff is on -1, and workshops on -2.

Magick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2010, 06:45:36 pm »

Except for metalsmithing, which is on -100 or so in comparison to the farms.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6