Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is it possible to have a ground z-level difference of more than 100?  (Read 1316 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

I've been trying to get really tall mountains to one-up the last fort I made, but I've never had a difference of more than 100 between the lowest and highest ground levels; the most irritating indicator that this might be a hard cap was a world I screwed around with via both PerfectWorldDF and DF's built-in world painter, which resulted in an embark spot with a completely flat valley floor, then a bunch of rampy mountains, then a completely flat plateau, with exactly 100 levels in-between. I've never had plateaus like this in the other worlds and embarks I've tried, they all had pointy mountains that peaked off around 70-90 stories.

I don't think such a cap existed back in 40d; my fort had rocky bits that went up to 101 or 102 levels, and someone reportedly had a mountain with over 200.

I might have to just make the z-levels between the cavern layers really big and move a metric shit-ton of rock out of the way. Lessee... I can make a maximum of 100 z-levels above each of the three layers... looks I'll have enough space. Just barely, though.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 11:16:58 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to have a ground z-level difference of more than 100?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 11:17:55 pm »

Do you all want to tell him, or can I?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 11:19:42 pm »

Space elevator doesn't count.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 11:25:32 pm »

there's a world on the DFFD I use a lot (search for cliffs). It regularly comes up with 200 z-level sheer cliffs. it is 40d, however, so I'm not sure how useful that is to you.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 11:28:23 pm »

Tried embarking into a spire? They're not useful, but they are tall.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 11:29:40 pm »

there's a world on the DFFD I use a lot (search for cliffs). It regularly comes up with 200 z-level sheer cliffs. it is 40d, however, so I'm not sure how useful that is to you.

Mentioned it in the first post, already knew about that one. Or at least that 200-story cliffs were possible in 40d. I'm asking about the 31.x series, however.

Tried embarking into a spire? They're not useful, but they are tall.

I don't know what you mean by spire, but I get tall embarks by starting on a large, white grey mountain triangle next to normal ground. Among other things.

EDIT: Oh, the adamantine thing? Already said that doesn't count.

I suppose a better question might be thus: Has anyone been able to achieve a ground z-level difference of more than 100 in the current versions?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 11:34:15 pm by Untelligent »

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 11:30:06 pm »

Ah, my apologies.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 11:35:09 pm »

Here's a site I just genned with an elevation difference of 112 levels, from 149 to 261.

Worldgen:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Location: http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss208/kanddak/112-level-embark.png

I interrupted the worldgen in the year 174, so I don't know whether letting it go longer does anything that makes the world get rejected.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 11:37:52 pm by Kanddak »
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 11:45:46 pm »

Yeah. The less you gen the world, the less time for erosion.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 11:49:37 pm »

Both wrong, as far as I know. Firstly, once history starts there aren't any reject checks. Secondly, the erosion stuff happens before history starts, and you can turn off erosion entirely (still doesn't make perfectly sheer cliffs, sadly).

The world worked for me, though. Not quite what I was looking for, but at least I know there's not a hard cap on the ground height difference.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 12:43:38 am »

There's been discussion somewhere that one of the tricks to get "sheer" cliffs... or as close as you can get is to embark on a high area with a river that goes to a low area.  Apparently in worldgen, the rivers become normalized to the lowest z level they traverse, and it can result in relatively sheer cliffs at the top of the mountain.  I don't really remember what the result of the discussion was on how reliable it was, but its something to try.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 01:24:38 am »

I have been able to get some high cliffs before, but nothing more than ~50.

Now, what's this 'in-game world painter' DF has and why haven't I heard it mentioned even once before?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jaxicat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 02:40:13 am »

This one  : 
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57244.0

Spawns pretty nice cliffs.  I've used it or variations of it.  If you find a large river crossing, you might get some sheer cliffs with waterfalls too. One thing I would change in it is to turn off the periodically_erode parameter and set the erosion cycle to 1.

EDIT: Here's one of Mine I've been using lately that sometimes makes some decent cliffs.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 02:46:57 am by Jaxicat »

Nova72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 03:48:41 am »

Which values in world gen affect that, because I too would like a world with tall mountains.  I will look through some of the ones posted in this thread in the meantime.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 08:49:07 am »

i once found a world that went from completely flat land with trees to  gem/ore sheer cliff indicators
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...
Pages: [1] 2