Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which way invaders come from?  (Read 542 times)

Xenxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Which way invaders come from?
« on: July 18, 2010, 05:31:39 pm »

Is there a way to tell which way invaders come from on any given map?

I dont want to build my fortress entrance only to find they come from behind

so is there a way to tell or do they just come from everywhere

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Which way invaders come from?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 05:34:16 pm »

They come from anywhere. Luckily, as far as I know, they can't come from Caverns.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 06:13:24 pm »

Well, there are a couple options. First off, make your fortress entrance only accessible from the front.

Secondly, you could construct walls all the way around the map, leaving only a single gap where they can enter.

Thirdly, get creative! There's tons of ways to deal with invaders, my personal favourite is building a trap on every single surface tile.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 06:32:05 pm »

Even if the invaders came from an anticipated direction, they automatically write the quickest paths to infiltrate your fortress upon spawning--more specifically to your meeting area--so, at any rate, you'll want your fortress impenetrable by all but one, preferably small, entrance, such as an opening in a line of walls equipped with a raisable bridge connected to a lever with mechanisms. This is made easier if you dig your fortress in and along a cliff or mountainside, so you'll only have to build walls against the exposed half rather than your entire fortress perimeter (and, of course, remove all cliff ramps within your walls, so invaders couldn't simply drop in despite them).

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 06:33:16 pm »

they automatically write the quickest paths to infiltrate your fortress upon spawning--more specifically to your meeting area--

How sure are you of this? Could prove interesting...
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 06:50:35 pm »

they automatically write the quickest paths to infiltrate your fortress upon spawning--more specifically to your meeting area--

How sure are you of this? Could prove interesting...

Unless it underwent some changing in the latter versions, I'm pretty sure. Much like migrants, they have to have some arbitrary idea of where your dwarves "live," and the easiest way to figure this out is your default meeting area. I think I know what you're on about, though--exploiting this to lead invaders astray, into traps and such. :P I don't know how well this would work; I imagine there'd be certain safeguards, the most conceivable ones being, "Which meeting area's inside and outside?" or, "Which one's the biggest?", a trickier one being, "Which one is the most 'used' by dwarves at the moment?" Don't hold me to those, though.