Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exploding wells  (Read 510 times)

AzureAngelic

• Bay Watcher
  • is waiting for dwarves to invent large blenders
    • View Profile
Exploding wells
« on: July 18, 2010, 03:48:33 pm »

Ok, I have no idea what happened.

My fortress taps into a brook, and I channeled a long path to serve as a fishing zone. I kinda messed up, though, and ended up nearly flooding everything.

Later, I made a well in a hospital, tapping into the flooded fishing area, but screwed that up again and flooded everything. I managed to wall it off before it got too fun, and I ended up with a room filled with 7/7 water tiles. I was worried that it would explode or something, but the wall kept it in.

Third try. I built another hospital next to the old one, dug a channel over the "pipe" that flooded the first hospital, and welled it. It finally worked, and I set up my hospital there.

Three seasons later, out of absolutely nowhere, the entire hospital fills with 7/7 water, all the doctors drown, the doors break, the fortress floods, and the elves get mad at me for getting their merchants wet.

The only possible explanation I can think of is that the water pressure got so high, it literally exploded out of the well, defying the laws of physics and flash flooding the hospital, instantly washing away the doors and basically making my collective fortress it's bitch.
Urist McFodder cancels Breathe: Interrupted by Goblin.
Urist McAwesome unleashes the magma floods!
Gobbo Steve cancels Attack: Interrupted by Lava.
Lava cancels Kill Goblin: Interruped by Fungiwood.
Urist McAwesome cancels Live: Taken by depression.
Urist McAwesome has perished in lava.

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exploding wells
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 04:00:22 pm »

There is water pressure in DF. This doesn't mean that walls and doors will burst, but rather that if there is, say... well here's a a picture.
~ is water
lines are walls
SIDE VIEW
|~~|.....|~.|
|~~|.....|~.|
|~~|___|~.|
\~~~~~~~|
 ----------/
In this scenario, the water will go down the left side and up the right side. This is because gravity will cause the water levels to equalize.

TOP VIEW
_____
~~~~|___
------~~~
........-----
By using diagonals, the water pressure is negated, for reasons unknown.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 05:19:45 pm »

Did the river freeze? It might have had only small amounts of pressure while frozen, and then the river unfreezing would add another layer of pressure and force the water up.

That would also explain the rapid flooding, since river water teleports to its destination.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 06:31:23 pm »

Also note that it didn't break down the door.  Not even magma can do that (even if the door is made of wood).  What probably happened was that the door was open (probably from a dwarf fleeing the flood), and it just wouldn't close on it's own with the water in the way.