Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Is it just me....  (Read 2177 times)

Deteramot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it just me....
« on: July 18, 2010, 12:59:17 pm »

Or does it seem to anyone else like the forumites here are like a cult?

Our cult set-up: Toady One the Great is our God, Dwarf Fortress is his Holy Book, and... I guess ThreeToe is the High Priest. Or something.

Seriously though. If it weren't for the fact that I am a part of it, I'd be a little freaked out by the slightly fanatical following DF has.
I'm currently making a nice room for my legendary clerk. I always treat my legendaries with the greatest respect, giving them the best rooms and so on. Although the walls are mostly engraved with pictures of my miner starving to death after he fell down a well, so it's not too cheerful.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me....
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 01:04:56 pm »

It is pretty creepy

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 01:12:48 pm »

It's called a fandom. It's nerdy, it's weird, it's a little bit obsessive and it's super-fun.

rhinelander

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 01:19:33 pm »

amen to that.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 01:29:07 pm »

i actually HAVE started a cult of toady one, if anyone's interested.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 01:32:27 pm »

I pray to The Great Toad atleast five times a day.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 02:16:35 pm »

Not until they (gu'vnent) stop taxing Toady_One is it a religion. Until then, just donate money.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 04:09:36 pm »

In the name of the Cat, the Brother, and the One Toad, amen?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 04:11:58 pm »

It's part cult, part cooperative mob, part circle-jerk. There's the guys who really really love the game, there's those that want to help in making it even better, and there's the lucky few who get off on constantly worshipping Toady and bashing anyone who disagrees with his design decisions.

Not, mind you, that Toady wasn't a god amongst men; it's just that I rather doubt he values blind faith more than constructive criticism.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 04:14:59 pm »

anyone going to join my cult?
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 04:15:40 pm »

This is an engraving by Urist Threetoe. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality.
The engraving shows the creation of the Outpost Bay12forums by Urist Toady. Urist Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The engraving shows an Elephant in a fetal position. It menaces with adamantine spikes. The Engraving shows a dwarf fishing. The dwarf is surrounded by Carp. The Carp is striking a menacing pose.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 05:23:33 pm »

Dwarf Fortress, "Losing is Fun", The Holy Game
Value: ∞☼
This is a Game. All programmership is of the highest quality. It is encircled with Fun, studded with Magma, and decorated with cat leather. This object menaces with spikes of HFS.
On it is an image of The One Toad and a game. This relates to the creation of "Dwarf Fortress" in 2003.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 05:36:03 pm »

I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 05:46:45 pm »

A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 06:08:36 pm »

It's part cult, part cooperative mob, part circle-jerk. There's the guys who really really love the game, there's those that want to help in making it even better, and there's the lucky few who get off on constantly worshipping Toady and bashing anyone who disagrees with his design decisions.
Heh and here's me thinking it was just a running joke.

Not, mind you, that Toady wasn't a god amongst men; it's just that I rather doubt he values blind faith more than constructive criticism.
I bet it freaks him out at least a little, I know it would me.

Has anyone bowed down before him or averted their eyes at those DF meetings?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: [1] 2 3